• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New regulations coming for BC backcountry

S
Nov 29, 2008
Falkland BC
B.C. considers new curbs on careless snowmobilers in wake of avalanche deaths
Legislation would allow seizure of snowmobiles
Gwendolyn Richards, Calgary Herald: Monday, May 10, 2010

An RCMP photo of a Class 4 avalanche that was big enough to demolish buildings or derail a train, which occurred in late March in a snowmobile area
Photo Credit: RCMP handout photo, National Post

The B.C. government is pledging to create legislation specifically targeting problem snowmobilers who put themselves and others at risk in the province's backcountry.

The comments from Tourism Minister Kevin Krueger come after another deadly season in B.C.'s mountains, which saw three men killed in avalanches triggered by high-marking -- a practice where snowmobilers drive their machines up slopes as far as possible.

Krueger said he is working with a committee of cabinet ministers to create new regulations that would deal with the small and specific group who behave foolishly in the mountains.

"They endanger not just themselves, which is bad enough, but those with them and others enjoying the backcountry," he said.

High-marking is said to be behind the avalanches that claimed the lives of Shay Snortland and Kurtis Reynolds on March 13 and, days later, Kelly Reitenbach -- three of 12 who died in snow slides in Canada's backcountry over the 2009-10 winter season.

The slide that killed Snortland and Reynolds at Boulder Mountain also sent snow tumbling onto the crowd below, enveloping as many as 70 people and injuring dozens.

Krueger would like to see legislation that would allow officials to seize and sell the snowmobiles of those who put others at risk through activities like high-marking, but, he said, the proposal has not been approved yet.

"Anything is on the table that will specifically help us with those who put others at risk," he said.

He added the province does not want to implement any regulations that would burden the majority of the population who enjoys the backcountry.

The deaths of Snortland and Reynolds -- who both left behind widows and two children each -- in the Boulder Mountain avalanche came as B.C. continued work on trying to regulate the backcountry and the federal government was just days away from announcing a new warning system they hope will be easier to follow.

The efforts are meant to make backcountry enthusiasts think twice about the dangers when they head into the great outdoors.

As politicians work toward creating those additional regulations, police, avalanche experts and those left behind say the risks and responsibility ultimately lie with the individual.

"The human mentality is, 'It will never happen to me,' " said Snortland's widow, Janine.

"Go, enjoy yourselves, but take note of the surroundings and warnings. If there are warnings out there, don't go. What you leave behind, is it worth it?"

Snortland and her two daughters are trying to carry on in the wake of their loss. But she calls the experience a nightmare and hopes others won't have to go through the same thing.

"I hope something good comes out of this and it opens people's eyes," she said.

This last season -- with 12 dying in avalanches -- was not the deadliest, nor did it reach the seasonal average of 15.

One of the deadliest seasons on record in recent history was 2002-03 when 29 died in snow slides, including seven students with Strathcona-Tweedsmuir participating in a backcountry ski tour near Rogers Pass.

Last year saw 26 buried in snow slides, including one lone avalanche that claimed eight lives. Of all those who died, 19 were snowmobilers -- the highest number of deaths among that group and double the previous highest number, said Canadian Avalanche Centre operations manager John Kelly.

Following those fatalities, a panel in B.C. made up of avalanche safety experts, snowmobiling groups, tourism professionals and government officials came forward with 15 recommendations to try to prevent another heartbreaking winter in the mountains.

B.C. is expected to have regulations in place by October 2011 to control the use of snowmobiles in the province's backcountry. Those mostly revolve around vehicle registration, licence plates and helmet use.

But in the days following the Boulder Mountain avalanche, then-Solicitor General Kash Heed admitted the province doesn't want to prohibit recreation activity and people will have to make their own decisions.

"No matter what we do as a province, it will be difficult for us to control and regulate," he said at the time.

At the same time, B.C. has increased funding to the avalanche centre -- to $150,000 per year -- and added signs on trails and highways to notify the public about avalanche risks.

The avalanche centre's Kelly said they want to see educational and cultural changes in how people approach the backcountry.

The Boulder mountain avalanche, which made international headlines, sent clear messages to avalanche safety experts. The fact that hundreds were exposed at the bottom of threatening terrain and dozens were buried and injured in the slide are causes for concern.

"Group management is a real problem in snowmobiling. That 200 could gather under an avalanche slope on high avalanche danger is something we cannot allow to persist," he said. "We have to attack this aggressively as a community."

He said the responsibility to check conditions and make informed decisions lies both with the individual heading out into the mountains and the community as a whole.

"Someone knew this wasn't a good idea to position themselves under an avalanche slope," Kelly said.

Skiers and mountaineers may pass through avalanche terrain but they look to do it as quickly as possible -- a long-held practice in these sports; snowmobilers don't have the same cultural learning because it is still relatively new.

"We have to instil that now. We can't wait for time to take its course and for people to learn the lessons by long experience," he said.

He added that sledders have to be encouraged to make choices of where they go based on conditions and not because they have made a decision to go out in the backcountry.

However, despite the progressively bad snowpack conditions over the past three years, there was not a rising trend in accidents and incidents.

"There is hope some of these systems and safety nets in education is having an effect on users," Kelly said.

The abundant backcountry wilderness of B.C.'s mountains are a major draw for sledders, skiers and the like from all over.

So too do events like the unsanctioned Big Iron Shoot Out that attracted people to Revelstoke for the March weekend when Snortland and Reynolds were killed. A criminal investigation followed the two deaths but ultimately did not lead to charges because there was no evidence to support any, said RCMP E Division spokesman Sgt. Rob Vermeulen.

He said he hopes the attention focused on the avalanche in the wake of the deaths will raise public awareness and reinforce the message that warnings are put out for a reason.

"We have to respect the forces of nature. These are preventable deaths. They are needless," he said. "People have to take personal responsibility. Part of that is knowing where the risks are and what those risks are."

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Don't do it. Bad idea. BAD idea.

By doing this they are possibly creating a whole new liability for themselves.

Next time someone is involved in an avalanche people are going to turn to them and ask, "Why didn't you stop this avalanche from getting us?"

LOL

C
Nov 26, 2007
Take note, according to the above article. There have been fewer deaths occuring since the 2002/2003 year. That Noted...

Does this not reflect that there are more and more of us responsible snowmobilers being respectful and cautious of the possible dangers.

Think about it, We all know there are more and more avid riders out there now than there was in the 02/03 season. And growing every year, this is proven by the increasing number of people in the popular areas.

So... More people & fewer accidents should tell us that we ARE well educated and ever cautious of our surroundings.
Those that come into this recreational sport usually know someone that has been into it for sometime. The newbies are taught by the seasoned riders.
It is seen time and time again, They are taught what and what not to do.
No Beacon = no ride, Don't listen to warnings= no ride etc etc etc

I just had to make a point of what has been stated befor it gets lost in all the hype. There is always a chance of avalanche,
WE ARE AWARE AND ARE ALWAYS ON THE LOOKOUT FOR THEM.

Anyone else care to reflect, please do
I left the seizure and charges aspect alone for the next respondent

this happens in every aspect of life, a few people wreck it for everyone else. if these people are stupid enough to go out there without proper equipment or doing there homework on the conditions of the slopes thats there problem. let em go kill themselves. less dumbasses that you have to worry about hitting you cuz they cut corners on the trails.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Don't worry too much guys....that's BC government code for "we want you to pay for a snowmobile licence."

The province in no form has neither the money, nor the reasources to chase sledders around the backcountry and attempt to curtail our actions.

It will be like the boat licence program they implemented a few years back. A few too many boaters got drunk and crashed into ****, so "something must be done about this!!" So in comes boat licencing. They don't have extra police in boats patroling the waterways or anything....they just want your $75 for said licence.

I'll bet my left nut that's where this is headed.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Don't do it. Bad idea. BAD idea.

By doing this they are possibly creating a whole new liability for themselves.

Next time someone is involved in an avalanche people are going to turn to them and ask, "Why didn't you stop this avalanche from getting us?"

LOL

Oh yeah I can see that happening just like you said. I had a feeling something like this was going to come up though.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Don't worry too much guys....that's BC government code for "we want you to pay for a snowmobile licence."

The province in no form has neither the money, nor the reasources to chase sledders around the backcountry and attempt to curtail our actions.

It will be like the boat licence program they implemented a few years back. A few too many boaters got drunk and crashed into ****, so "something must be done about this!!" So in comes boat licencing. They don't have extra police in boats patroling the waterways or anything....they just want your $75 for said licence.

I'll bet my left nut that's where this is headed.

You guys don't have to license your sleds? How does it work up there?
Do you skip titles too?

gopher-it!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
licences

What a big dumb idiot, maybe sledders shouldnt just play defense, instead propose backcountry skier lisence and no mountain skiing just cross country, bet this would be dropped pretty quick

my thoughts exactly!!!

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
Do you skip titles too?

it would be a license for riding the sled, same idea as your drivers license. and i really can see this happening as well.

i also think crazysledhead may be right, we are getting smarter as a group, and the education can also be seen if you look past the devastation of the BIS. sure it was stupid to be sitting at the bottom of the hill like that but think about how many people were buried, and that only two died. peoples education on how to use their beacons, probes and shovels saved many that day.

but there will always be those idiots out there that give us all a bad name. no different then the retarded drivers that are allowed on the road.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
There would always be those who ride without their license too, right?

sierraclimber

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2009
Oakhurst, CA (western sierra)
"The efforts are meant to make backcountry enthusiasts think twice about the dangers when they head into the great outdoors."

Really!?? I think the deaths of friends/family and injuries from those involved will make people think twice. The gov't doesn't need to add incentives. This is a knee jerk reaction from all the bad press on TV.

D
Jun 1, 2004
Big Lake, Minnesota
Down here in the USA the government just wants our money and whatever they get involved in they screw up. We know that we are taking chances everytime we go our riding our snowmobiles. Every time I go out here in MN I am always thinking about drunk drivers. That is why I like going out west becasue once I get off the trail I usually do not see anybody all day. We take a chance every day driving our car. No matter what business or recreational activity we do there are always going to be people that do things that make the rest of us look bad, that is just how it goes. More and more people are starting to ride with the right safety equipment and have more knowledge. The governement does not know what is best for us even though they think they do. Government needs to back off and let us run our own lives!!!! That is just my 2 cents.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Do you skip titles too?

Up here, registration (which would be licence and title in the USA) is mandatory but not enforced. Insurance is not mandatory.

In repect to "licencing," I was referring to an operator card like a driver's licence. That is mandatory for operating a boat (for example) up here, as of a few years ago. Now, it is very loosely enforced due to lack of funds, lack of manpower, and basically all the other issues when you have a huge land mass like Canada/BC with very few people in it. However, if you happen to be at the boat launch when the cops roll by and they happen to check you, of course you can be fined if you haven't paid your money and taken their stupid course.

That I could definetly see happening, as its an easy cash grab up front, AND when **** hits the fan the gov. can give out fines and preach "well clearly this is why everyone needs to take the $75 online course for their _________ licence." It's an easy sell....government grabs the cash under the blanket of providing education to operators and making things safer for the public.

I would bet my testicles that is in the pipeline. Just remember......you heard it here first folks :D ;)

Last edited:

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Well, jeeze if they want to pay someone to just ride around the backcountry n to watch people highmark I guess I might have to go to their side ;)

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
Well, jeeze if they want to pay someone to just ride around the backcountry n to watch people highmark I guess I might have to go to their side ;)

what would be a really sweet job, but that is besides the point at the moment.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Front page of Nelson Daily News this morning.....lots of mention of operator permits because the impound idea "may be hard to enforce."

LOL

Premium Features