• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Product - In Stock Scratchers

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Ice Storm Ski Mounted Scratchers: I will include the standard hardware in case someone wants to mount them to the plastic on the ski.

These are now in stock along with the Ice Storm Rail mounted scratchers, duraflex and more.

Go Big Parts and Accessories, LLC :: Snowmobile Products :: Slide Savers and Ice Scratchers

Improvements to Ice Storm rails scratchers.

New bending proceess improves spring durability
316 Stainless steel reversible ski
stainless steel cotter pin to hold ski to spring.

Ski%20Mount.jpg

Ski%20Mount%201.jpg

Forward%20Position.JPG

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
This years ice storms are holding up great. All quality control issues have been addressed and the new bracket is offset lower now so torsion springs or any interference above will not bend them. Keep orders coming.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I would not recommend mounting to cat skis. U can see how much the plastic is twisting and thats only 30 min after mounting. Definitely needs to be mounted to spindle bolt. Should offer long spindle bolt and bushing option.

U can see in pic the supplied bolt will not work on cat ski's either. i got a long bolt and cut the head off and used 2 nuts to make it work.

uploadfromtaptalk1421507619032.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1421507972082.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1421508176017.jpg

Frosted Flakes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2011
Most corrupt state in the union
I would not recommend mounting to cat skis. U can see how much the plastic is twisting and thats only 30 min after mounting. Definitely needs to be mounted to spindle bolt. Should offer long spindle bolt and bushing option.

U can see in pic the supplied bolt will not work on cat ski's either. i got a long bolt and cut the head off and used 2 nuts to make it work.

How's the double nut rig up working? Still getting the plastic to twist? Is it providing enough cooling?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Only mounted the one scratcher to try it out because i don't like amount of force applied to the mounting location when scratcher is on the ski. It is fine when its on the ground.

I did a comparison test on the trail. It's not completely fair because i have only one ski scratcher and 2 (stock cat)rail scratchers.

Test: 5miles Going down hill 5-10% grade at 50-60mph and no off trail snow to hit for more cooling.
Engine temp was climbing to 150° dropped the one ski scratcher and temp was still slowly climbing.
Dropped both rail scratchers and put ski scratcher up. Temp dropped 10° in a few hundred feet. So im right around 145° and stayed there for a few miles. Temp started climbing in to the 150's, dropped the ski scratcher to see if it would help (it does throw a lot of snow) and it didn't seem to help. The last mile i have 3 scratchers down and start dragging my feet to see what that does. Dragging my feet did not drop the temp either. So now engine temp is 159-160° and staying there. Ambient air temp was mid 30's and slushy groomed trail.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Riding during the day the front of the sratcher comes off the top of the ski and then its really putting some twisting force on the mounting location. If u bolt the supplied hanging bracket it will relieve the twisting force but im sure i would end up ripping it off on a log or something.
The double nut is only because there is no way to get a bolt to fit in between the ribs on the ski.
I put the headless bolt through the hole from outside of ski and spun it while holding the nuts on the inside of the rib.

uploadfromtaptalk1421542107528.jpg

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Just a thought to give it more support and keep it from twisting on you. Get an even longer bolt (~1" longer from the pics) and drill the inner rib as well. Do your double nut trick, but leave the (head) of the bolt thru the inner rib of the ski as well (probably do not need to cut the head off, insert the bolt from the center of the ski and put your nut or double nuts on as you push it thru). At least that gives you a double shear and you are not counting on the stiffness of the single outside ski rib to take the torsion. FWIW

Last edited:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
The original design was with a longer spindle bolt. I believe the manufacturer backed away from it due to liability reasons. But yes can be done. Also, I am having great luck with the Original rail mounted Ice Storms.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Just a thought to give it more support and keep it from twisting on you. Get an even longer bolt (~1" longer from the pics) and drill the inner rib as well. Do your double nut trick, but leave the (head) of the bolt thru the inner rib of the ski as well (probably do not need to cut the head off, insert the bolt from the center of the ski and put your nut or double nuts on as you push it thru). At least that gives you a double shear and you are not counting on the stiffness of the single outside ski rib to take the torsion. FWIW
U will have to go through 3 ribs. U can't use a bolt because (green/yellow box) that is all the space u have to lay the bolt down in to and push through the holes. U cant put the bolt in at an angle it has to be straight in line with the holes.
These are metric so i used the longest threaded bolt i had available. I wanted to go to the middle of the ski (all 3 ribs).
I wouldn't use all thred because it is usually a light grade that bends to easily.
I also wanted to mount this to the manufacturers specifications which is one rib and see how it fairs. Just like i thought it would.

The double nut is used as a jamb nut so i could thread the steel bolt in to the aluminum bushing, otherwise i would have to use pliers on the threads, don't want to do that.
I could have mouned it further forward on the ski and shortened the original bolt 3/8 of an inch or so but then i would only have 1/4inch or so of threads in the bushing and im not comfortable with that.

uploadfromtaptalk1421597984619.jpg

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Do the ski scratchers use a longer ski bolt now?
If so, can i order the hub and bolt, or at least the hub?
I would like to use the sratchers i have, the plastic mounting worked for only 2 trips.

GS6

Premium Features