• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"New Motors"

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Been watching for a second sled, and I have been seeing "New Motor @ X miles" all too often.

I have a chum that got a whole new motor in his over the summer as well.
I don't know what happened to his.

I had heard that the 17's had issues, but I thought that was addressed since?

I haven't seen any that said "Top End Refresh" - no.... It's always "New Motor @ "

What gives?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Been watching for a second sled, and I have been seeing "New Motor @ X miles" all too often.

I have a chum that got a whole new motor in his over the summer as well.
I don't know what happened to his.

I had heard that the 17's had issues, but I thought that was addressed since?

I haven't seen any that said "Top End Refresh" - no.... It's always "New Motor @ "

What gives?

Don't know what the answer is, but I have also SEEN A LOAD of these listed for sale.

Blainelukens

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 18, 2010
Bozeman, MT
My 19 had a connecting rod bearing fail at almost 3K miles with no sign of problems. Dealer put a new motor in under warranty. I had asked dealer about top ends and they told me they were seeing more bottom end failures on the 850’s than anything else. Just my experience 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
My 19 had a connecting rod bearing fail at almost 3K miles with no sign of problems. Dealer put a new motor in under warranty. I had asked dealer about top ends and they told me they were seeing more bottom end failures on the 850’s than anything else. Just my experience 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah, when these came out in '16, Doo was advertising how these were built like a 4 stroke, and giving the impression of bringing much higher reliability and longevity to the 2 stroke market.
Doo we need to call Bill Miller for new rods?

S

Smo99

Feb 9, 2019
Bigfork, MT
www.trailtreker.com
The 17s did have issues with the lower end crank/rod bearings. My buddy and I each bought one (3 vin # apart). Mine failed at 300 miles. His failed this past year at 2300. I had a dealer tell me that, at a BRP meeting, they admitted the 17s were failing at a 2% rate.

In general, if it fails and just seizes, the top end is reused. If in the case of our second one, it seized, threw metal from the rod bearing, cracked the water jacket under the rod and scarred up the jugs/head (probably reusable). But we just opted for a used motor I found in a sled on auction.

I believe ( I have no hard evidence, maybe someone that has played with BUDS can elaborate) that BRP upped the amount of being pumped to the crank (or pumped in general). The later models do not seem to be failing as often from what I can see--I have a lot of friends that ride doo and have had no issues. I can tell you the 2019 donor sled I got had a lot of oil in the tuned pipe when I pulled it (which I've been told is normal on the later years). I think they were trying to keep oil usage, smoke and smell down and got a little too skimpy. the later models seem to smoke more which is ok with me.

I am also going to put this in a separate thread, but you can use the 2017 harness on a later model engine. I didn't install SHOT as our 2017s never had it, but the capacitor was not working either on my donor sled/motor, so I left it out and the harness worked fine. I did transfer the ECU and oil pump from the donor sled. Had a mechanic that has BUDS clear the codes and reset the correct chassis code in the ECU and it then was happy. But I cannot confirm if SHOT will work. FWIW...

And both are going up for sale soon. $6750 OBO/each.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
The 17s did have issues with the lower end crank/rod bearings. My buddy and I each bought one (3 vin # apart). Mine failed at 300 miles. His failed this past year at 2300. I had a dealer tell me that, at a BRP meeting, they admitted the 17s were failing at a 2% rate.

In general, if it fails and just seizes, the top end is reused. If in the case of our second one, it seized, threw metal from the rod bearing, cracked the water jacket under the rod and scarred up the jugs/head (probably reusable). But we just opted for a used motor I found in a sled on auction.

I believe ( I have no hard evidence, maybe someone that has played with BUDS can elaborate) that BRP upped the amount of being pumped to the crank (or pumped in general). The later models do not seem to be failing as often from what I can see--I have a lot of friends that ride doo and have had no issues. I can tell you the 2019 donor sled I got had a lot of oil in the tuned pipe when I pulled it (which I've been told is normal on the later years). I think they were trying to keep oil usage, smoke and smell down and got a little too skimpy. the later models seem to smoke more which is ok with me.

I am also going to put this in a separate thread, but you can use the 2017 harness on a later model engine. I didn't install SHOT as our 2017s never had it, but the capacitor was not working either on my donor sled/motor, so I left it out and the harness worked fine. I did transfer the ECU and oil pump from the donor sled. Had a mechanic that has BUDS clear the codes and reset the correct chassis code in the ECU and it then was happy. But I cannot confirm if SHOT will work. FWIW...

And both are going up for sale soon. $6750 OBO/each.

I was wondering if there was an oiling issue, as if that is the case, then that can be edited.
This was the case when the SerIII 800 came out in the early 2000's, and we upped the cable pull on ours.
I did seize a con rod lower bearing once still tho.

I don't know what it takes to adjust oil flow on the 850?
Heck, at 300 smiles, you would have still been in Break-In mode with extra oil!

But I was under the impression that they were chucking rods out the side of the case? (Failed forgings)
If that's the case, there's not much you can doo - other than maybe not spin it up as much?
Is that not the mode of failure?

Looks like I just bought my chums spare '16 800 163 for our second sled.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
My group and I have had a lot of 850 na’s 17,18,19,22,23. At 1800-2200 something always falls apart in the clutching (true on 7/8 sleds) and at 3000-3200 they blow up (true on 2/2 sleds). For some reason we were convinced that they would run forever, but when they blow they need everything. 2 of our 12 sleds were second hand and all of them were rode pretty hard.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
My '17 made it to 2400 miles and I thought it only needed a top end. I was wrong! Rebuilt it and the crank seized 25 miles later. I definitely won't partially rebuild one of these again from that experience.

Premium Features