• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New boots/gloves, emergency supplies, anti fog questions

Dec 12, 2014
Hey, so this will be my 4th year headed west, and am looking to get some new things. First off I might be replacing my boots, and grabbing some new gloves as one of my pairs has seen better days.

For gloves, I'm mainly looking for something for the actually riding period, I have a good pair for coming down the mountain at the end of the day already. Just looking for something thats gonna give me good grip, be relatively dry (I know this is pretty much impossible), and not be too bulky as thats how my last few pairs have been shredded.

Boots, the pair I have still work, but are a little small and the loops for putting the laces through have fallen off pretty much every other one. So since I will probably only be making one trip west this year (Sad I know) I will only be replacing these if I can find something half decently cheap with the xmas sales.

Emergency supplies, obviously I have the bare minimum beacon, probe, shovel/saw, avy pack. As well as some basics for survival. Im looking to see what you guys have wished, or were glad you had up on the mountain, or possibly due to being stuck up there overnight.

Anti fog, now I have tried balaclavas, fog masks the whole nine yards and still I seem to fog. I make sure the helmets off the second I stop to pull someone out, or are sitting. Now I heard of this stuff called "Cat Crap anti fog" that you put on the goggles. Has anyone used this stuff, or something else that worked?

Thanks.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Anti fog stuff is anti fog stuff IMO. Nothing special and a little spit or soap works about the same.
Most all baclavas make it worse for me. Save for "no fogs". That's what we used in the Arctic and worked well.
Unless it's real cold, I don't wear a baclava. Open helmet if it's warm, Decent breath mask in the helmet if it's chilly, baclava under breath mask if it's super cold.
For boots, I've almost exclusively used insulated work or hunting boots for ever. In the coldest weather, a loose fitting pair of 1000g plus thinsulate boots and wool socks. I'm on my second pair of Rocky Bear Claws. Great snowmobile boots for me. Don't work on the snowbike though for me. I use insulated Danners on the bike.
Survival gear, on my sled I pack a saw and a small hatchet. Both have their place for multiple uses, including using the hatchet as a hammer

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I wax my goggle lens inside and out. Have you ever tried sticking them in your engine compartment when stopped? Also when stopped with goggles on you need to exhale down towards your chest not straight out. On snowy days I treat my goggles like they are made of gold...

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
IMO the secret with goggles is management. I run quick straps and always put them on the top of my helmet as soon as I stop. I don't put them on until I am moving. I want them to stay cold so if I get snow in them I can just shake it out.

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
Big fan of the Klim powercross gloves, sounds like they're exactly what you're looking for, I like them so much I bought a second set.

I added a 509 goggle fan to my aviators and it has really helped with the fogging, I think part of that is managing your overall body heat too, going to a shell from an insulated coat this year. Always got too hot in an insulated coat.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Survival gear wise I try to make sure I have the basics to survive a night in the woods.

Fire starter- multiple methods. Pick any 2, I carry road flares and matches.

Saws- I like to carry 2 as they dont seem last.

Food and water- a few spare bottles of water and some high protein/calories snacks (jerky and protein bars).

Clothes- I try to keep one thick and one thin pair of gloves dry along with a pair of socks and a hat. I also carry a bivvy sac.

First aid- I carry a pretty basic camping first aid kit along with extra gauze and tape.

I also carry a headlamp with a strobe setting.

I keep all of this stuff in my pack so if I happen to get separated from my sled I have it with me. I think a spot or some form of satellite communication is also a good idea.

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
Goggles - You should be fine with any dual lens I would think. Buy 2 pair and swap when needed.

Boots - I think you should be good with any brand. You just have to decide which type. Snowboard type that's rigid, a normal snow boot type or a hybrid of the 2.

Gear - I researched this last year too and this is what I came up with. Along with what GRD said: Rope, duct & elec tape, wire, bunji cords, leatherman, compass, small dry storage container(s), hose clamps, zip ties.

Last edited:
G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
I bought a new helmet and goggles this year and this will be the first year I haven't had quick straps. We'll see how out goes.

Can anyone comment on Boa's? Worth it? I've been wanting to try them since my laces come untied sometimes and they seem pretty slick.

Mxracer39

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
Maine
I have hmk boas, went to them last season from laced hmks. Would never go back, boas are so easy to put on. They tighten by pushing the winder in and turning it about 2 full turns, takes about 5 seconds to tighten. They distribute the lacing pressure evenly. At the end of the day when your hands are beat, and your pulling off frozen gear and frozen boot gaiters, it's some nice to just pop the winder out and they come right off. So slick in my opinion and worth the extra $$.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I would also recommend boa boots. I like Klim, but thats a preference thing, they fit my feet well.

Best thing about the boa IMO is not that they are easy to put on and take off but rather that they stay tight all day long. The cables dont stretch like laces, you put them on and dont have to worry about them till its time for them to come off, no need to re-tie at anytime.

Premium Features