• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need more help again 05 RT 1000

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
Don't have allot of time around the Doo's but here is the problems so far.

1. Cracked front cooler 2nd time
fix-Took the motor out and by-passed it worked flawless

2. Will run out of fuel at 1/4 tank
Fix-Mounted a low psi fuel pump from Napa that everyone recomended by the battery looks very good and sounds like it's running fine.

Problem is this weekend it runs great till 1/4 tank then runs out of fuel. Put in 2gal and it runs like a house of fire????

This is a friends sled so I am helping him out have not tore it down again but do you think it could be the pickup lines in the tank??

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
runs out like starts sputter and dies and restarts?? thats weird, if you can hear the low pressure clicking away then it works. is the line kinked going into the low pressure pump and doesnt get enough flow at low fuel levels??

thats pretty weird.

describe how the starting is when this happens... like it totally wont work?

once it gets down that low, disconnect the line into the pump and see if fuel poors out freely, then you can see if its pump or tank/line issues.

BigK

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bountiful, UT
www.marshallradio.com
Sounds like how mine road all of season 1. Stuttering and dying was caused by fuel pump/pickup location. There was a fuel pickup recall performed with the fall '05 update. My guess is this sled did not get the update. Have ur buddy call in his VIN to the dealer to make sure it(and all other updates have been done.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Sounds like how mine road all of season 1. Stuttering and dying was caused by fuel pump/pickup location. There was a fuel pickup recall performed with the fall '05 update. My guess is this sled did not get the update. Have ur buddy call in his VIN to the dealer to make sure it(and all other updates have been done.

This is exactly correct JW. Or the pick up has come undone and is just rattling around. The other thing to consider is how low in the chassis the low pressure pump is. I like to install them on the inner plastic between the battery and the outlet of the can.

Sometimes the line coming out of the tank can get kniked (I believe was previously mentioned.) AND...you don't want to install the little fuel filter that comes with the Napa pump.

Some good advice for help with the fuel system in these is to peridically throughout the day relieve the tank pressure by cracking the gas cap and letting out the air. Fuel injected sleds build alot more tank pressure than carb'd sleds doo. The other thing is to try and keep the tank as topped off as possible. So I use my spare fuel asap if allowed. It only takes one good climb with low fuel pressure to burn down a 1000SDI.

Did you use the Facet pump or the 6.5 diesel lift pump (E8012S)????

The reason I ask, is I had 3 of the Facet pumps go out in one season before I got smart and went with the E8012S.

rtsled

Premium Member
Jan 31, 2009
Just wondering how much oil you guys use on a tank of gas or about. I'm in the process of rebuilding mine and I never did think it used enough oil.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Just wondering how much oil you guys use on a tank of gas or about. I'm in the process of rebuilding mine and I never did think it used enough oil.

I couldn't really tell ya. It wasn't that much it seems. I ALWAYS top mine off before every ride just to insure the oil pump drive gears are never without oil. If you look at your oil tank, you'll notice about 1/2 way down, there's an outlet that goes to the oil pump shaft. Once the oil level goes below that, if for some reason your inner seals leak, there's no lube and ka-pow.

Just a little thing that I like to doo on all my sleds to help prevent a possible prob!

S
Jun 10, 2008
Spokane, WA
i had my low pressure pump right under the motor and that sled ran like a raped ape for about 4000 miles coasted into the parking lot a few times well under a 1/4 tank and running just fine.

S
Jun 10, 2008
Spokane, WA
RTSled i rode mine below a 1/4 tank of oil all the time. got 4000 miles out of it and never any issues. went through quite a bit of oil a ride. it was noticable, cant remember for sure cuz i got rid of it a couple years ago. but i wanna say like a little over and 1/8 - 1/4 a ride.

Premium Features