• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

C3 Thermostat install question 2019 EXC 500

S

SnoWest007

Jan 12, 2019
I ordered a C3 thermostat and got it last week. Finally getting around to installing it but I think I may have received the wrong one as I can't see how this would install on my bike. I ordered the 1345as indicated for my bike, but below is what I got. It's stamped 1431 and one side has a short neck with an o-Ring. How can this be connected without a clamp or fastener? There are no instructions included and the instructions on the website don't show anything for this type of connection.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is what I received
IMG_7630.JPG

This is what I ordered
ordered.JPG

S

SnoWest007

Jan 12, 2019
Looks like I'm missing parts. I think I should have received the threaded insert, retaining clip and some special C3 tool to install it. It wasn't in the box so I'll reach out and hopefully get it resolved quickly.

Capture.JPG

This is what I got but there is no threaded insert, clip or tool.

IMG_7632.JPG

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
yes your missing the part that threads into the head and receives the stat end with the o-ring,. yeah a special tool is required..

S

SnoWest007

Jan 12, 2019
****ty!! That's what i figured and they are going to shut down for the holidays so I probably won't get these missing parts till mid January.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Try to get them from the racin station. He is a dealer for them in driggs Idaho.

S

SnoWest007

Jan 12, 2019
Has anyone ever installed one of these and not had it leak? Very frustrating experience. The design kind of sucks because the o-ring has to jump the initial lip on entry and again on the retention ring groove before it goes all the way in. There is a lot of room for damaging the o-ring or having it move out of the groove as you push past these areas. I'm 4 tries in and 3 o-rings later and it still has a drip, drip leak passing around the o-ring.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
I had same thermo on my 18 500. Five years did not leak. I lubed the oring with silicone grease on install and any subsequent disassembly. My c3 thermo (different style) for my 22 leaked at pipe plug thread, taped too deep. c3 acknowledged poor machining. Could the female part that screws in head be out ot round, poorly machined? O rings are generally good sealers.

B
Nov 29, 2018
Silicone spray is your friend when installing o-rings.

My C3 thermostat and heated bars have been going strong for 5 years now with no leaks.

S

SnoWest007

Jan 12, 2019
Mine might be defective or have machining issues then and maybe they sent me the wrong hoses. I've tried re-seating it many time. Lots of lube and even put in a new o-ring and it still has a constant drip. The supplied hose was also a bit of an issue. The "S" shaped hose has short ends and a long middle section whereas the stock hose has longer ends and a short middle. This was causing the hose to want to kink because of the extra length. Cutting it wouldn't help because it's the middle section that is too long. I finally gave up and put the stock nipple back on and jerry-rigged up a solution. Spent way too many hours trying to resolve this. I'm a little disappointed as I expect this to be a simple install. I probably should have just but the generic thermostat and plumbed it myself. I guess all that matters is that I have a working solution even if it kind of half-assed and ugly. Not up to my usual perfectionist standards.

IMG_7751.JPG

S

SnoWest007

Jan 12, 2019
I had same thermo on my 18 500. Five years did not leak. I lubed the oring with silicone grease on install and any subsequent disassembly. My c3 thermo (different style) for my 22 leaked at pipe plug thread, taped too deep. c3 acknowledged poor machining. Could the female part that screws in head be out ot round, poorly machined? O rings are generally good sealers.
Everything looks really good. That's why I'm really surprised it has a small leak. The thermostat does have a tiny side-to-side movement when It's all the way in with the clip installed but not enough I would think for it to leak. The C3 stuff has always been 100% awesome. My 300 2T C3 thermostat works like a dream, but this one is really giving me a hard time.

S

SnoWest007

Jan 12, 2019
What I think is happening is that It's almost like the upper hose is too long and putting pressure on the thermostat causing it to leak.

S

SnoWest007

Jan 12, 2019
I got it to stop leaking, but I had to use a small piece of hose instead of the C3 sleeve and o-ring on the thermostat. It's not leaking so I'll run it that way but I think the tolerances on fit between the thermostat and the sleeve was not tight enough;. I'll have to do some more testing to see if I can get it to stop leaking with the proper parts when I get some more free time.

IMG_7751.JPG

Premium Features