• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Narrowing up the gas tank.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
So I decided that the 2021 Khaos tank was dumb! Never had a sled where the tank edges contacted my inner legs/boots. Otherwise the sled felt great(beside the a-arms, but thats another story)
So I did post somewhere on here my plan. Well it turned out fantastic. The reformed tank has been holding it shape perfectly.
So what I did was build a wood jig and use UHMW and shims to push in the sides of the gas tank. I pushed in about 3/4" on each side. Then I put the entire jig and tank in my garage rafters and left its there for 6 months over the summer. Went up in begging of June came down Sometime in November didn't loo at or touch it. It gets pretty damn hot up there.
It's not a quick fix. I also was not interested in using a heat gun etc.
Been out on the sled lots and it feels much narrower. I can not feel the tank on my inner legs at all. Once I get a chance to compere it to my buddies Matrix Ill report back.

Cheers

Allan
IMG_5964.jpegIMG_5476.jpegIMG_8138.jpegIMG_8139.jpeg

208_RMK

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
Idaho
It would be nice to have another option besides buying the skinz aluminum tank. I agree the axys tank is too wide. I'm curious how your jig/form will last. Cool idea.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
The jig is just made up of scrap plywood and 2x4 pieces. It will last indefinitely. I was going to throw it out but I'm holding onto it just in case the gas tank needs a tweak over the summer.
Im assuming your wondering how long the tank will keep its new shape. From what I can tell so far its been out of the jig and on the sled for over 6-7 weeks. Its exactly the same. Hasn't moved back to old shape. Super happy with the results.

Premium Features