• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My Honest Review of 850 still in “ Break In”

R

Ratchit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 18, 2013
here
Volcano,
The reliability issue being referred to may be the fact that those 800's ridden hard will rarely hit the 2,000 mile mark without issues. I think the biggest issue is losing the locating ring locating pin and having a spinning ring snag the exhaust port. I lost a few Pro motors on account of this and my Axys which I was hoping would be better made it to 2,300 before it crapped out. I have been updating my sleds upon expiration of warranty because those rebuilds can get spendy when Polaris isn't buying a motor every year. I don't care to swap pistons every 80 hrs. at my own expense (too old, bad back) just ride'em till they croak. Awesome machines, just wish they'd be reliable beyond 100 hrs. I am hoping the 840 will be better, only one ring locator to fall out. I'm still trying to figure out if making disposable motors is clever engineering or if it just can't be done. Cat seems to do a bit better, many hit the 150 hr. mark, and on occasion 200.

We have many axys 800’s with hard Dyno hours plus beat down riding and continually racing and have not had this problem that your talking about? A couple went down cuz of crank seals with 6-7000 hard miles. In my opinion. Their reliable as any other best 2 stroke.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
We are getting lots of higher mileage axys trades and all are on the original motors still. It’s actually crazy how quick people are racking up mileage on these newer sleds compared to years ago. They have been a very reliable sled/motor for us by standards of any mountain sled.

N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
We are getting lots of higher mileage axys trades and all are on the original motors still. It’s actually crazy how quick people are racking up mileage on these newer sleds compared to years ago. They have been a very reliable sled/motor for us by standards of any mountain sled.

My local dealer, granted small town so small sample size, has had no axys engine failures.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
We have many axys 800’s with hard Dyno hours plus beat down riding and continually racing and have not had this problem that your talking about? A couple went down cuz of crank seals with 6-7000 hard miles. In my opinion. Their reliable as any other best 2 stroke.

Well, I must be one of the unlucky ones. 4th engine in place on my 18. Locator pins migrated in and the ring spun. Buddy I ride with is on his second engine because of a locator pin. Just saying.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
It's good to hear that many are making it to high mileage, it gives me faith. I hope my current motor has that kind of reliability. Another factor could be how the sled is ridden, at 2,000 miles my sled has 1,000 miles of WOT mountain climbing, this may be a little harder on components than 5,000 miles of Idaho trail riding. My sled is also pulling 245 lbs. up the mountain all day, this may also be harder on components than the 150 lb. flyweight. I've personally had 7 Polaris 800 motors go down since 2012 within 200 miles of 2,000, 6 of those were Pro's. If I didn't have warranty to lean on I'd have to give up the sport or go hungry.

A
6000 miles on the old 800 in the pro chassis and Iv only lost one engine. Since 2016 in the Axys I know they have greatly improved and Iv had 100% success withNO problem what so ever. I hope this 850 is as reliable as the Axys 800
We could only be so lucky.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I got past break-in mode today (I think...). 125 miles, 7.5 hours and the sled really woke up! Belt deflection adjustment was definitely required. Rode in very deep snow today and had some really good pulls. Sled feels great. I haven't taken the stock can off yet and it really sucks to not hear the power valves open. SLP can goes on now for the next ride. Be patient for break-in and make sure to adjust belt deflection and tighten up the track.

Ken Climb

Premium Member
I got past break-in mode today (I think...). 125 miles, 7.5 hours and the sled really woke up! Belt deflection adjustment was definitely required. Rode in very deep snow today and had some really good pulls. Sled feels great. I haven't taken the stock can off yet and it really sucks to not hear the power valves open. SLP can goes on now for the next ride. Be patient for break-in and make sure to adjust belt deflection and tighten up the track.

What are you pulling for rpm under heavy load?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Fynnigan, what's up?

Snowmobiler is a doo guy who has a long history of hanging out in the Polaris sections and stirring the pot. It's all in good fun.

So what's up?

acsnopro

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2008
SW Colorado
First Ride 850

We had our first ride over the weekend. Overall power I feel like is getting stronger the more miles I get. I had a few times that I got into it and had a hard bog, let off the throttle and got back into it and it cleaned up. Front suspension I think is definitely a home run. More snow will make it easier to get a good feel for everything. I had a 17 Ski Doo 850 and as impressive as the motor was it wasn't worth riding a chassis that is garbage. I went back to a Polaris 800 for 2018 and now a 850. This is going to be a great sled.

Last edited:

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Just about 2 hours on Friday. Running 3500-5500 elevation. Sled started first pull each time riding. No bogs. Pulled hard and smooth, very linear power for sure. No arm wrenching, just a very smooth pull. Pulling more weight and helix than the 800 so ya it is making more power even during break in mode. I am impressed and ready for more rides!

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Had mine out yesterday in great conditions for first ride. Did one heat cycle and rode it like mid season after. It was pulling 8150/8200 even under load (mid hood deep in a flat fields). Held rpm's climbing as well. The geometry in the front is less twitchy than my 2016 with 36" kit (spindles are only change as I'm running the same a-arm kit). Power was a little better and more linear on the 850 than the SLP piped 800 in mid range but felt about the same on top, also great for first ride. Overall impressed, felt very much like a continuation from last year which doesn't happen ofter after 5 months off and on a new sled.

Premium Features