• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My Honest Review of 850 still in “ Break In”

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
just two different skids. Old school torsion springs V coil/ air shock.

doo is nice on the trail but pays the price the other way with the wheelie.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Lets be honest here... the sidewinder would woop up on em all drag racing up a hill. Who gives a rats hat.

You guys can sit and argue all day but theres 8000 variables and not one of you is gonna be right.

... 10/10 times the Poo 840s gonna win :face-icon-small-hap

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
40 cc in the big scope of things is not a lot. its 5% more in displacement so guys expecting "turbo power" out of the 5% are going to be a bit disappointed. I have run 990 on cat 900 and 900 on cat 800 and with this cc advantage you will have a bit more power but most guys have to wrap there head around the fact it is only a small increase in the over all scope of it. in most cases you can gain this same power in just a port job and clutching. Doo did a good job with the "true ground up motor" over the poo and half of this IMO is the electronics. good news is the 4 year warranty bet poo is glad they didn't offer this on the 05-06 900.

BTW I have no time on the 840. just years of BB experience...you can come look at my pile of custom pistons anytime.

Last edited:

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Why can't doo doo with all its power beat a poo poo at Jackson king of the hill?
Poo has dominated stock class and correct me if I'm wrong, the 800 poo won the stock class again against the 850 doo. Poo has been dominating the hill climb circuit for a long time with their underpowered sleds:):)

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Rider plays a HUGE part.....
Why can't doo doo with all its power beat a poo poo at Jackson king of the hill?
Poo has dominated stock class and correct me if I'm wrong, the 800 poo won the stock class again against the 850 doo. Poo has been dominating the hill climb circuit for a long time with their underpowered sleds:):)

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Don't care

I couldn't possibly care less if it is even one hp better than my 800 Axys. I just want more reliability placed in this Axys chassis. Please, please, please let it be much more reliable and durable over the long haul than the liberty. And then if it only gets a touch more power - so what - I got the reliability I really wanted on the best chassis ever.

R

Ratchit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 18, 2013
here
The 840 motor during break in is 11.8:1 A/F which is hugely fat. After break in it may touch 12.5:1 A/F which is still fat. Put miles and hours on them. At a safe 13:1 A/F these things are 7 more hp and more torque. Polaris left some on the table with ecu.
A good pipe might lean A/F out too

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
Let's see...... Event after event Polaris Pro Riders are better than everyone else's Pro Riders...... Uh, NO, it is not ALL about the rider.

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Volcano,
The reliability issue being referred to may be the fact that those 800's ridden hard will rarely hit the 2,000 mile mark without issues. I think the biggest issue is losing the locating ring locating pin and having a spinning ring snag the exhaust port. I lost a few Pro motors on account of this and my Axys which I was hoping would be better made it to 2,300 before it crapped out. I have been updating my sleds upon expiration of warranty because those rebuilds can get spendy when Polaris isn't buying a motor every year. I don't care to swap pistons every 80 hrs. at my own expense (too old, bad back) just ride'em till they croak. Awesome machines, just wish they'd be reliable beyond 100 hrs. I am hoping the 840 will be better, only one ring locator to fall out. I'm still trying to figure out if making disposable motors is clever engineering or if it just can't be done. Cat seems to do a bit better, many hit the 150 hr. mark, and on occasion 200.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Let's see...... Event after event Polaris Pro Riders are better than everyone else's Pro Riders...... Uh, NO!!!!!
U ride ur pro, give Chris Burandt a skidoo.
Do u honestly believe u would win because of ur pro?

In that case, Michael Phelps has 21 gold medals because of his speedo.....

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
I don't ride a Pro and I don't believe that Burandt competes in professional hill climb events. All I am saying is that Pro riders are all very accomplished and that the equipment they ride plays a roll in their success. Remember when Ski Doo came out with the Rev? I went to sno cross events where the runner up to Blair Morgan was a lap down!!! Blair was good, but, the sled he was on was the major factor in his success, he admitted as much.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
The 840 motor during break in is 11.8:1 A/F which is hugely fat. After break in it may touch 12.5:1 A/F which is still fat. Put miles and hours on them. At a safe 13:1 A/F these things are 7 more hp and more torque. Polaris left some on the table with ecu.
A good pipe might lean A/F out too

This is the info I got as well. Good stuff here. Not surprising with a new motor to throw some fuel at it. Same thing in 2011 as they learned their lesson in 2008.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
U ride ur pro, give Chris Burandt a skidoo.
Do u honestly believe u would win because of ur pro?

In that case, Michael Phelps has 21 gold medals because of his speedo.....

Chris Burandt, Dan Adams, Keith Curtis, Matt Entz are riding Poo because they want to. Most professions hill climbers are riding their sled of choice. If you asked the guys that are winning if their sled had anything to do with it, hell yes!
Other brands are great machines too but the "underpowered" Poos have dominated the "hot rod" doos for years and years in all the stock classes. It has been a beat down of epic porportions over the years at the RMSHA events.
I've always been amused that an underpowered sled could climb those steep courses faster that the "high powered" competition. Most of us are out riding in the mountains to have fun and could accomplish that on any current machine.
JMHO and LMAO every time I read about who's got the most power.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Another example of equipment helping out in all those Polaris wins was last years Jackson Hillclimb. When the course is real technical Keith Curtis dominates because of rider skill, but when it becomes a drag race to the top like last years hillclimb most the poo's are quicker than the others, all of a sudden there are several riders as fast as Keith Curtis. Luke Rainey spanked them all on his very quick Polaris. Doo has some great talent in Jay Mentaberry (quickest turbo run of the event)and Blaine Mathews, they are very competitive in the turbo classes but struggle in the stock classes making the podium and it's not because they lack talent, power to weight will win most every time when talent is equal.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Chris Burandt, Dan Adams, Keith Curtis, Matt Entz are riding Poo because they want to.
Chris Brown, Brett Turcotte, Julie-Ann Chapman...the list gets longer every year. And it's not just because of the sleds/performance....but because Polaris is doing the best job of supporting the industry and athletes currently. They are involved, and they have the right resources and the people in the right places.

Chris Burandt is the perfect example....he simple would NEVER have had the industry influence with Cat that he does with Polaris. Take all of those names above....Polaris has helped high level mountain/west riders make careers out of sledding on a larger scale than the others combined....and the top riders (whether that's top in skill or business) know that. It's a marketing win/win for Polaris and the athletes....support those who support you

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
What does your belt-deflection look like?

Should be 1.25".
Belt teeth should be sticking above the secondary sheaves. 1/8"?

That could help get the RS up to where they should be.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
racing at Jackson requires a stock cat to cut his beloved power claw track down and add traction screws. or run another track?
ya, just give me an axys in that case.

Premium Features