• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My CAMSO "Conquer 280" experience with Tracks USA on AXYS 850

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
So I now have hundreds more miles in different snow conditions on this 280 track with mixed emotions...
The snow conditions in Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota are of course quite different than outwest. After break in the track was working excellent in the Midwest. Earlier this year I spent a little time with it in Colorado in late January and early February and as I mentioned it worked well then. Then back home in Upper MI we were getting hammered with deep snow. With 4’ of fresh it was trenching more than a stock 2.6”. I noticed the 280 had much higher track speed because it was so much lighter. At that time I changed to the TKI belt drive and opted for the gear down. This made a “substantial difference” and the track got back up on the snow easy and rocked in all conditions except steep down hill braking. Back to several places in Colorado. In Wolf Creek with 11’ of snow this combination worked really well for weeks. However the next week in Buena vista the snow was different at 2 locations. There were avalanches everywhere and it worked well in one place, but down the road at Tin cup the snow was harder and crusty, once you broke through it trenched more. Here I preferred the 2.6”. Next week in Togwotee the snow was rotting and no track l rode with was perfect, harder and crustier in the morning and mashed potatoes in the afternoon. I know these posts are long, and I’d like to elaborate more about each stage. But a short conclusion would be that the 280 is a good track after break in, that is lighter and therefore faster than stock or anything else comparable. It does have higher track speeds, but throws much more snow and isn’t as good going down a steep hill as the 2.6” I did prefer it over the stock 3” which I’m not a fan of. This 280 has held up “excellent” and I fully clipped it before installation and is wearing very well. This has been a great replacement track on my 850 Axys and is a fun boondocking and side hill tree track...however I still think the factory 2.6” is an excellent stock track.

Last edited:

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
so what track would you suggest??

I have a '17 800, essentially stock motor, just slp pipe and can. Geared down with TKI. I have a 155, running an x3 track. seems to trench way more than the 2.5 CE it replaced. That track replaced a damaged 2.6.
I am going to a 163 next year. I was thinking just going back to a stock 2.6
I live and ride out west in the sierras, snow is generally heavier. however, we have had blower snow this year. usually do at least one trip to wyoming and idaho every year.

thanks for the input

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
so what track would you suggest??

I have a '17 800, essentially stock motor, just slp pipe and can. Geared down with TKI. I have a 155, running an x3 track. seems to trench way more than the 2.5 CE it replaced. That track replaced a damaged 2.6.
I am going to a 163 next year. I was thinking just going back to a stock 2.6
I live and ride out west in the sierras, snow is generally heavier. however, we have had blower snow this year. usually do at least one trip to wyoming and idaho every year.

thanks for the input

Good question and the answer is we each want something a little different from our snowmobile and track. Probably the best way to answer this is for me I really liked it and it was a really fun boondocking, tree riding track that was faster in all conditions compared to the 2.6”, 3” I ran against. (If you’re into racing up hills). How ever it was also faster going a steep downhill. There’s trade offs for everything. If it tells you anything I bought another 280 in a 163” and I’ll be installing that soon. You’re geared down all ready so that really works with this 280. I’ve also been swapping out different pipes and cans comparing to stock and works great with added power! I’m still out west riding and won’t have service for a while. Leaving WY and headed to UT and MT.
I started this post out mainly as my experience with TracksUSA, how to swap tracks and options on this track. Tracks USA will continue to be my go to for tracks. They are friendly, helpful and stock a huge selection of tracks!

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
So in more dense snow does it seem to bite or just spin? Alaska snow is rarely that super light fluff (at least where I ride in Ak), usually has some density to it. I want it to lift the front up and get on step quickly. Is yours the 3.0" pitch? I would be going with the 3.5" since its lighter and I prefer the spacing of the 3.5" pitch.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
So in more dense snow does it seem to bite or just spin? Alaska snow is rarely that super light fluff (at least where I ride in Ak), usually has some density to it. I want it to lift the front up and get on step quickly. Is yours the 3.0" pitch? I would be going with the 3.5" since its lighter and I prefer the spacing of the 3.5" pitch.

Die Hard, Alaska is my favorite place in the world to ride. With that said I have not rode “this” track up there yet. Maybe this spring I’ll be up there. In the dense snow it bites more like the cat powerclaw. If it’s crusty and junk underneath it breaks through and trenches. I would ask AKsledjunkie since he has them up there. Mine is the 3” pitch

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Anyone have the weights on this track vs an 2.6 Polaris track?

Ok, answered my own question on the tracks USA site. These weights are less than what camsno shows on their website.

154 x 15 x 2.8 Conquer 280, 3.5 Pitch. 40#
156 x 15 x 2.8 Conquer 280, 3.0 Pitch. 45#
162 x 15 x 2.8 Conquer 280, 3.0 Pitch. 46#
165 x 15 x 2.8 Conquer 280, 3.5 Pitch. 43#

43lbs for a 165 3.5 pitch, that’s pretty dam lite! Anyone have thecweights of the 2.6 Polaris tracks? 155 and 163?

Last edited:

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
I personally love this track. It most definitely trenches more than the 2.6" but I like that. The front end lifts and you have a sled that wont win any straight line hill climbs(maybe some downhill climbs haha) but will be a wild ride to the top. It takes a lot of front end control to ride this track and you have to be aggressive with it.

I will say this though, 155" boosted I don't like the track. 155" geared down and N/A I do like the track.

163" boosted I like the track. Makes the 163" have some of the playful characteristics commonly associated with the 155".
The way the Khaos sled has been setup though, it might not be necessary to get this track, since you'll have more front end lift.
I might also add that I personally love the Powerclaw track so without running the PC this track gets me the closest attitude.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Thanks for the review aksledjunkie. That's exactly what I am looking for. I want a track that will pick the front end up at will. With a 165, it should still climb plenty. I like an aggressive sled that requires throttle control to control the sled climbing.

Premium Features