• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Muskoka Freerider 9R First Ride

P
Dec 15, 2018
That’s true. I think we should demand from them a stuck counter lol. All I know is I couldn’t go there might never. The seat time pays off. What was today? 26? I won’t have that all season I don’t think. Stupid work and family life. Boo!

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
There ability to quick change directions climbing through the trees is crazy. I don't think I can think that fast when I'm concentrating on climbing, not getting stuck, not falling off or rolling back down. LOL. I guess that is what riding everyday in crazy tarrian gets you.

D

Dizzle

Nov 19, 2012
Oregon
Turcotte's are good too, i think Muskoka Matt is definitely a more skilled tree/mountain rider. Not saying Turcotte is not a skilled rider, he certainly is.
Dude you're insane if you think Matt is a better rider than Brett.
Brett has been a pro rider for how many years now?? He's up there with Keith Curtis, Burandt, Sahen, Dan Adams, Caleb and others. Matt is still an amateur. Not taking anything away from Matt, he works his ass off and is a damn good rider, but he's not a pro. Yet.

yeah I guess the biggest difference is Matt’s not a team rider. I’d be surprised if he was not a ski-doo ambassador soon though. Iam sure he’s influencing the next generation of senders everyday!!! I may try and do a turcotte clinic next year just for fun I can’t ride well enough to go ride with those guys lol!! Muskoka has more followers than burandt and all of them lol. It’s just cool when you know they are just regular guys who go have fun and aren’t trying to sell Red Bull or whatever. In a race up steep tight trees you got muskoka? Depends on the wager but the higher it goes up the more I’d bet turcotte. Let’s get them to do it for our entertainment lol!!!
I'd be willing to bet the reason Matt has more followers is because he's Canadian and a (mostly)Doo rider. Those guys are an emotional and sensitive bunch - if he rides the Polaris for more than a day, you'll see people in the comments section like "Where's the Doo?" "I miss the Doo.." It's ****in pathetic. And when the Doo went down - again - this year, you heard crickets. But if the Polaris even hiccups, the comments section turns into a slaughterhouse.

That alone is why I'll never personally own a Ski Doo. I like their sleds and their engineering, but I won't allow myself to even LOOK like a Doo queen.

It might not keep me off a Lynx though :p

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I get a good LOL at you guys who think a rider who will boost a 50’ cliff or huck a backflip would be too scared or couldn’t figure out how to side hill through some trees. Or do a re-entry in 3’ of pow. They might not video that stuff because they’re not interested. Be like watching Travis Rice run a slalom course instead of free ride…ya I’m sure he could do it?

Burandt started pumping tree riding when he got too old to jump. Caleb gave up the booters when he got hurt. A guy like Turcotte ain’t afraid to side hill some trees LOL…
That's like saying a freestyle motocrosser isn't afraid to race around the track. Pastrana had very little success racing. It's easy to not be afraid to ride trees. But riding trees in the steep, keeping momentum, and not getting stuck non stop while picking good lines is very hard. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
The videos are indeed awesome. Let's not forget, we saw 19 minutes of X # of hours. The magic of editing makes CNN the world leader in broadcasting ?
I used to think this too with the guys until I started riding with them. They do this **** non-stop all day in the trees. Only reason there isn't more footage is because it's hard for the camera guy to be set up everywhere to get good shots. Caleb does hopovers and bow ties all day long up the hill with about a 97% success rate. What you see on his Instagram is not an edited clip of the best 30 seconds of riding that day. He does that **** non-stop all day.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The P 22 clutch on your 9R didn’t last very long. Looks like the spider broke from your video, what’s the story?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
That's like saying a freestyle motocrosser isn't afraid to race around the track. Pastrana had very little success racing. It's easy to not be afraid to ride trees. But riding trees in the steep, keeping momentum, and not getting stuck non stop while picking good lines is very hard. You are comparing apples to oranges.
Pastrana had more MX success than the vast majority of MX pro’s…and by far more success than any big-name MX’er had in freestyle. He would still have a chance of running with the current or past MX/SX pros on a one hit wonder like straight rhythm, etc. Whereas you are in 0 danger of RC or JS throwing a double backflip. Fearlessness makes for quick learning curves in action sports.

Tree riding is plenty hard for the rest of us…but for pros it’s very much on the table IF it’s their prerogative.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Pastrana had more MX success than the vast majority of MX pro’s…and by far more success than any big-name MX’er had in freestyle. He would still have a chance of running with the current or past MX/SX pros on a one hit wonder like straight rhythm, etc. Whereas you are in 0 danger of RC or JS throwing a double backflip. Fearlessness makes for quick learning curves in action sports.

Tree riding is plenty hard for the rest of us…but for pros it’s very much on the table IF it’s their prerogative.
Yeah well as soon as McGrath tried the high jump he absolutely dominated it aginst free style guys. Obviously if you are unreal at one you are probably going to be better than average at the other. Pastrana was average at best. He never did win a 250 main. His only success came on 125s. I don't think the freestyle guys are that crazy in the trees. At least not that I have seen.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Burandt seems to get around reasonably well!
He dang near invented tree riding haha when he did his backflip not many were doing them. If you watch the old sledneck videos he wasn't doing nearly the crazy back country jumps the rest of the gang was doing. He's always been a tree rider first.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Torcoutte s Canadian too. People like muskoka cause he’s relatable. He’s way better than you honey badger and he’s actually more relatable as well . Nevermind hee pretty humble and nice . Iam sure that will change though. He went everywhere that turkey went. The others couldn’t including one paid athlete. I thought it was probably conditional but he’s done it now consistently. No one will beat burandnt till he’s real old cause he’s one of those once in three generations hyper competitive guys. Mix that with crazy talent skill athleticism and lots of experience you get goat. Now I know your thinking tha a honey badger could rip a goat apart but this is a special devil goat. I never saw snow till my late 30’s and I started snowmobiling cause I saw roscoe doing bba videos lol. Matt’s the real deal cause he’s made the sacrifices and commitment to get good . Someday when aliens land on our deserted planted they’ll look at social media and shrug their shoulders and get why we went extinct.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^He runs the pro front shock or something like that I believe. whats interesting to me is how deadly he is on the turbo in this terrain yet prefers the 9r. in the beginning where he gets bumped off his buddies track, maybe wouldnt have happened on the 9r. yeah im a fanboy lol

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
People seem to think that wheelies are only about horsepower.

I'd argue it has more to do with your rear suspension setup than it does hp.
That was exactly my point. My 800 Khaos has a fraction of the power output but it creates a high pucker factor in the technical situations at times. That is one reason I started the thread in "Polaris" regarding the rear suspension settings to calm it down for intermittent climbing requirements. That thread so far has mostly garnered the opinion of at least one rider that the suspension components need swapped out.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
After watching Muskoka Matt all season long, he is an elite technical mountain rider that can hang with Bett, Caleb and top pro riders. The guy is very talented!

Premium Features