• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mtntk full mod vs Rktek 858

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
Looking at doing one of these kits in january now I know that it's kind of comparing apples to oranges being as the mtntek isnt a big bore. With that being said both are claiming impressive gains and the mtntek shipped to my house is only a $100 more than the rktek. Anyone have any recommendations for which route to go with? My riding style is 70% boondocking and 30% hillclimbing and i also have a kmod skid with alt impact 36" front end with raptors and ride normally in whistler BC and a few times a year in revelstoke.

H

Hopfarmer

Oct 6, 2012
Idaho Falls
I posted the same inquiry about the MTNTK Full Mod and it seems there is not a lot of guys running this kit that post on here. But I have done the research and I would go with the 858 if money is not an issue. Otherwise .......NorthStar Performance has a great proven kit for about half the cost, with roughly the same gains. (20 HP) I am taking my 13' PRO to them in the next week or so. $1600.00 out the door.
How do you like the Alt Impact 36" A-arms?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Well talked to both companies. And mtntk. Is way easier to get a hold of, by far. I'm sure both make good product just if you need help with the installation or turning you should think about that. Rk tek 858 likes to rev. Runs best about 8400-8500 ish Mtntk full mod runs lower rpm. Best about 7600-7800 ish. I'm no expert and not sure how this rpm difference between the two would make the sled feel. The mtntk torque and hp would over lap nice I'm sure. I would call both places a few different times and have a chat and see who you feel will be around to help AFTER they have you're cash. Just my 2c.

Last edited:
J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
How do you like the Alt Impact 36" A-arms? they are awesome well worth the money.

Yeah I talked to mtntk on the phone and have been in email contact with rktek. there are no mtntk kits in the area other then my roommates turbo and they have been awesome to deal with for him, there are how ever a handfull of rktek kits here one of them has blown up and sounds like he wont be going till january im not sure what was done or what is needed so I cant say that reflects on rktek themself as in the emails that have been bounced back and forth I could have had it before christmas if I had sent it out last week other then that I have heard they are a strong kit. Will probably be going with the rktek kit just didnt want to dismiss mtntks kit before talking to people about the two.

B

BC_mtn_rider

Nov 11, 2012
Surrey B.C.
Just ask Nick at Sea to Sky...he had the RK in his 14 last season...wasn't too impressed. If it were mine, I'd go with the MTNTK...ill be doing one soon as my 13 is getting up there in mileage.
Hopefully Whistler gets a dump soon...that's my playground to....off to Revy in Jan!

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
I was going to go the mtntk route because my roommate was heading down to mtntk and could have had it down while he was there but now with the lack of snow hes no longer going so now that its being shipped it brings both back into play. the mtntk kit is still looking like the route i'll go as they have actually taken the time to see what their kit is making instead of just using the seat of the pants dyno. would be nice if there were more people north of the border with these kits so we could get some first hand experience as to what both kits are capable of. I didn't know nick had that kit I mainly deal with FiveStar in chilliwack and i know that they had done a few kits last season and didn't hear anything bad but after seeing the quality coming from mtntk it would be nice to see their kit perform.

Reddragon800 your link doesn't seem to be working.

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
Thanks I called there today and talked to chris im assuming. very informative and swayed me to go with the MTNTK kit. Also had filled me in on them using the bully dog tuners for the new kits and not the dobeck boxes anymore which makes it that much more plug and play. Will be pulling the sled apart the first week of january and sending it all out.

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
So pulled it all apart and sent out my cylinders last night to MTNTK , lucky I did as the PTO side piston was starting to score with only 980 miles. Now I'm wondering what people are running for weights so I have a base at where to start?

TUFFPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2011
Alberta
Im in the same boat as you. Doing my engine and having a tough time deciding what to go with. Either MTNTK Fix Kit and SLP Stage 3, MTNTK Full mod, Bikeman durability kit and performance kit, RKTECH Drop in kit with SLP pipe, or RKTECH 858. So many options.....

What does MTNTK have for turnaround time on your cylinders?

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
When i got my cylinders done it was 3 weeks. Shipping took the most time. If your closer than Edmonton AB then you can expect a shorter waiting time. Go with the MNTNK kit.... Its amazing!!

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
Im in the same boat as you. Doing my engine and having a tough time deciding what to go with. Either MTNTK Fix Kit and SLP Stage 3, MTNTK Full mod, Bikeman durability kit and performance kit, RKTECH Drop in kit with SLP pipe, or RKTECH 858. So many options.....

What does MTNTK have for turnaround time on your cylinders?

Mtntk told me 1 week from the time it gets there. It was shipped friday night so im hoping it gets there middle of next week. would be nice to have it back for when I'm home in 2 weeks but that might be rushing it.

TUFFPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2011
Alberta
When i got my cylinders done it was 3 weeks. Shipping took the most time. If your closer than Edmonton AB then you can expect a shorter waiting time. Go with the MNTNK kit.... Its amazing!!

Im north of Edmonton yet. What elevations do you ride at? I live at 1100 feet and ride up to 8k and maybe even higher then that. I want something that will work good at all elevations and wont require tuning every time I ride at a different elevation.

Z
Apr 21, 2010
Im north of Edmonton yet. What elevations do you ride at? I live at 1100 feet and ride up to 8k and maybe even higher then that. I want something that will work good at all elevations and wont require tuning every time I ride at a different elevation.

You'd be asking a lot for a tune(fuel & clutching) to be great at a 7k - 8k difference in elevation, stock or modified.
But damn ! Would be fun to ride that difference often..

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
Anyone run this set up between 3000-7000 feet? Any weight and spring set up would be awesome so I have a vague starting point.

TUFFPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2011
Alberta
You'd be asking a lot for a tune(fuel & clutching) to be great at a 7k - 8k difference in elevation, stock or modified.
But damn ! Would be fun to ride that difference often..

Ya I know its asking for a lot. But id like to get the kit with the best electronics to get the mapping as close as possible with the least amount of tuning. The clutching I can deal with as long as the sled is running like it should.

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
I ride between 5-7000 feet. This is the set up im running and so far its working well. 10-66 weights with the Team white spring (120-310) in the primary. And a 73-57.46 helix with the team red/black spring. ( 140-240). When your running the lower elevation turn the helix to the other angle. 73-59.46. Give this a try!!

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Same topic, different kit: CALL FASTRAX! I'm running their "stage 4" equivalent and it runs very well!

Riding 55-6500 ft and pulling 72.5 gram MTX weights with similar stock clutching otherwise. It spins 8250-8300 with their kit. And I'm running a 3" 156 track as well. Very nice setup!!

Premium Features