• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

move to AK?

W

WAmtnsledr

Jul 12, 2009
hey guys, i'm only 14, but have been thinking about moving to Alaska when i get out of high school, because of the world class riding, it's the last frontier, etc. i have never been there though. If i move i am planning on Valdez, i heard that is the best riding in the state. my question though is will i find any work in valdez, preferably carpentry? if there's work like that there, i'm moving. thanks for any help.

omernikski

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2003
Minocqua, WI/ Foxboro, WI
Check out craigslist, alaska section, jobs. there are usually some good ones on there. It will be a tough move though. Save all your pennies, find a job and a place to live before you set out on your journey. I'd recommend visiting first.

W

WAmtnsledr

Jul 12, 2009
thanks

ya, it would be better if i stayed here in washington for a couple years to save up money, then buy a house there and move

i don't need to work carpentry, i'd just prefer it, just looking for a consistent job that gets good pay and doesn't require any college

Last edited:
A
Jan 16, 2008
thanks

ya, it would be better if i stayed here in washington for a couple years to save up money, then buy a house there and move

i don't need to work carpentry, i'd just prefer it, just looking for a consistent job that gets good pay and doesn't require any college

For work in Valdez, you would probably find yourself working on a fishing boat the summer. not sure if there is much going on for work in the winter. You could also get a job on the slope, work 2 weeks on/2 weeks off. the slope is the oil fields in prudoe bay. you got some carpentry skills, so you could get your foot in the door that way.

Housing is $$$$$$. You would be looking at at least 1200 to 1600 a month to rent a two or three bedroom with a single car garage, double car if you are lucky. and if you have a sled, you need a garage. Anchorage is the most populated area and easiest to find a job. its smack dab in the middle of epic riding within 2 or three hours to the north or south. its a 6 our drive to Valdez from here.

all i can say is start saving now if you want to buy a house, and if anything look into trade school. i have a degree and it took me over two months to find a job when i moved here 3 years ago. we haven't been to hammered by the economy, but it is noticeable.

and if you have a trail sled, leave it at home or sell. i have seen too many people wasting time and money tryin to convert there crossfire or short track to a mountain sled. this place is flooded with used mountain sleds so finding one would be easy.

good luck

W

WAmtnsledr

Jul 12, 2009
thanks, lots of good info!

haha, no trail sleds for me.. by then i'm probably going to get an 06 M7 and mod it...

that would be great working on a fishing boat... if it can pay the bills and gas for sled..

i was going to start saving up for my sled right now, but i guess it can wait a house is more important

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
There is opportunity in Alaska for hardworking, ambitious young men.

In four or five years, after graduation, when you're ready to move focus on the job first. Live where the work is. Assuming you'll be single and working you'll have the money to buy the sled you want and to drive to where the riding is.

If you get a job in the oil patch you can live anywhere.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
Yeah, make sure you visit before making that decision. I love Valdez, and would move there myself, but its not for everybody. If you can start learning the trade of being a Marine engine mechanic, boat repair, welder, etc. it may be a plus in that town during the summer months. Keep a clean criminal history, because that comes in handy when trying to get through security for the Alyeska Terminal if you want a job there. Dont move to some big city just because its easy to find work, move to where you want to live and FIND work.

U
Nov 28, 2007
Alaska
Yeah, make sure you visit before making that decision.

YES visit before you start making plans:face-icon-small-sho ALASKA is not for everyone some hate it some love it. the weather and daylight is different from where you are at and the temps take some getting use to. my brother moved to Washington from AK and loves it their so go figurer :face-icon-small-hap

OH YEA first check but i think we are full at the moment :face-icon-small-win

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
I agree with the other folks- visit first. Visit in winter and in summer. Valdez is a SMALL town and you need to be able to handle that. It's a 6 hour drive from Anchorage, just to give you an idea, and about that far from Fairbanks. Jobs in Valdez would be either in the fishing or the oil industry, as that's pretty much what's there, and of course the few restaurants and shops. But again- Valdez is small.

If you're more of a city type, you could consider Anchorage, There is excellent riding to the North and South of Anchorage. Turnagain is less than an hour drive, Petersville and Eureka are about 2-1/2 hour drives. You'd have more access to lower cost housing, jobs, and more things to do. Anchorage isn't a large city but it's the biggest one in the State.

W

WAmtnsledr

Jul 12, 2009
thanks for all the replies everybody

had a couple questions, if i get a job in the oil fields how much money do you think i'll be making in a year? And will i be working in the winter?

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
Doing what?

Hard to make less than 40k a year for even the most introductory positions, if your full time. Pretty easy to make 60-90k if you've got a skill and some experience. Managers will probably make between 120 and 200k depending on location, company, etc.

Most introductory jobs will require work outside, summer and winter, in the absolute worst conditions you can imagine. In the summer the bugs will drive you insane, in the winter the cold will chill you to the bone.

Last edited:
W

WAmtnsledr

Jul 12, 2009
this type of work sounds good to me. good money, and the hard work work pays off in the end when i get that paycheck.

Premium Features