• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Motor down in out 2016 Axys

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
My guess is you have plenty of octane, and too much won't hurt anything. On my sled, I'd probably want 94+ eth-free at sea level, but once you get up closer to the 5000 foot range, 94 should be plenty, even with ethanol. 91 is the highest we can get here, but it's ethanol-free. I usually start out around 7000', and have never had an issue. Pre-mix does have a slight leaning effect. It shouldn't be enough, even at 50:1, to cause problems, but I'd have considered running in eth mode for the first tank or two. Worst, case, fat and oily could foul a plug, but it shouldn't hurt anything. I'd give everything a once-over when you get a chance: look for chipped reeds, gummed up EVs, that sort of thing. One last thing, if E10/15 is in a humid environment and not completely sealed off, it'll absorb water pretty quickly. It's hard to be sure, but it sounds like a definitely possibility. If there's anywhere you can get pure premium gas, I'd run it on that and see what it does.

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
That's my next plan is to run my normal Shell fuel and will be doing a leakdown to dbl check topend. EV's were cleaned spotless when rebuild happened along with a new cable, but probably gummed up now after 50:1. Motor was broke in around home at 3,000 ft, for 50 miles riding with my young kids, and daugther on my lap, so it was gently broke in to say the least. A dozen of wide open rips to test/seat rings. Oil pump was primed lots prior to break-in as well.
I have a new throttle body coming, as the flipper is getting fairly stiff, so I will double check engine bay. New cable, new flipper, and lots of silicon spray on the old throttle bodies pivots never changed the feel/pull.
In 240 hrs it has seen it's share of cycles.
Oil cap was venting quite a bit of oil and leaking down onto clutches, so tried a newer cap off a spare sled and seemed to fix the issue for the most part. Ball check must be hammered out from abuse.

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
I kno my sled ran like **** while I was breaking it in with pre-mix. What plugs are you running?
Always have ran BPR9ES. This sled has never fouled a plug since new, which I find impressive. The other 16,17 Axys in the group still foul them yearly.
With break-in pre-mix it still ran very strong. Riding partners mentioned strong fuel smell following behind me on the way out at night, so I did run some seafoam to help clean injectors from premix.
Thinking possibly EV position and fuel map interference or leaky injectors. But I just had injectors flow tested upon rebuild, and never had any fueling issues breaking it in around home at 3000ft.
Fuel mapping has always seemed to have a funny/bog spot at 4-5000 ft when air temps are warm with the 16/17's.

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Just checked my fuel bills, Chevron was not the station lol. I had filled up 6 jerry cans from Petro-Canada with 94 octane. Their website shows up to 10% ethanol, this probably is part of my issue...doooh

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
Too much octane will affect performance especially as you go up in elevation unless you have the boost to match. I’ve had great results with Br9eya’s. Great thread tho. Keep us updated

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
I guess stupid is as stupid does in my case. Overlooked the simplist of adjustments on the hill with fuel map adjustment lol.
Back to Shell premium and see if the issues are still there.

Premium Features