• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Modify the old or buy something new?

S
Nov 13, 2020
New guy to posting on the forum, but I've been reading for years...

I live in Colorado and usually ride around 9,000 - 12,000 ft. I was riding a modified 2005 mountain cat with a 1010 big bore for about the last 8 years (occasionally jumping on my buddy's old 2012 turbo RMK pro) until i finally upgraded to a used 2018 M8000 Sno Pro two years ago and started riding just about every weekend. Needless to say, I've been soooo happy to not have to deal with mid-day carb adjustments and constantly wrenching...or the extra 150 lbs, the 15 year handling difference, etc. It's nice to ride all day instead of feeling tired by noon and destroyed the next day. On the M8000 I've got a SLP can and added some storage, but otherwise it's stock. The only downside is after coming off the 1010 big bore I'm missing the power I used to have. I've got 2,400 miles on the Cat.

All that being said, I'm between a few ideas:
1. Keep the M8000. Add an SLP stage 2 kit. +$1500 and 8HP (12HP if you add v-force reeds for ??? $)
2. Keep the M8000. Add a Silber turbo. +$3800 for the non intercooled. Do the install myself? Seems to be plug and play.
3. Sell the Cat and put the $ towards a new Khaos 850. (rode it and loved how playful it was...plus a noticeable power bump from the 800)

Is the cat good enough and gonna hold up for another year or two if I just throw some $ & power at it? I heard there's a new Polaris chassis in the works, so maybe worth waiting for? That stage 2 kit on the M8000 should get me close power-wise to the 850, but the $-to-power ratio sucks compared to the turbo kit. Anyone have experience with either of the mods at altitude? Still running 91 dino juice? Disappointed with 850 HP? Thoughts or other suggestions appreciated!

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I would put money on something new. It will handle better yet and not become a maintenance problem so soon like your current sled could become.
I think it's almost guarantied that Polaris will have the rmks in the Matryx chassis next year, the trail sleds already are.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Same here. I would put the money toward the new Khaos. You said exactly why. The chassis is just so much dang fun.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
At this point, I would have to ask - is there value to you in having a warranty ? or in my case - who performs and pays for repairs (assuming whatever is needed, isn't user error). I used to love wrenching on sleds, but as vacation time becomes more valuable to me, I like the concept of keeping relatively stock and a warranty behind it. I doubt factory warranty would cover an aftermarket turbo'd sled. Plus, the newer sleds (of any flavor) are just that much better, as an overall package - than they were even 5 yrs ago.

Speed-Demon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 25, 2020
AK
There’s a video of Burandt absolutely smoking a turbo cat with an 850 Axys. And that’s probably in CO. Turbo supposed to make up for the thin air. Is his 850 totally stock? Probably only has a can and clutching. Get the poo. Put a SLP can and clutch kit and go have fun. Lightest sled and best NA power to weight out there bar none. Give em credit on their track. Heard it’s one of the best. And they’re single rail skid. Innovative for sure. But only the true die hards are still hanging on. Lot of guys jumping ship. Resale value of one year old Polaris is way better than your cat. Especially if you gonna throw $2000 - $4000 at it. You’ll never get that $ back. And it’ll still won’t be as good as the khaos. Guys are getting $12,000-13,000 out of one year old poos and doos. You’ll get half that for your cat. Plus the loss of what you wanna spend on it.

S
Nov 13, 2020
Thanks for all of the input. Based on the Matryx coming out next year I might tough out this year on the Cat and put $0 into it based on all of your advise. With Covid this year I'm just waiting to see them shut down sled access like they did last year out here (couldn't cross county lines) or how they shut down half of Colorado's national forests with the fire bans in the late summer/fall. Lots of posts on Facebook pages that start with "I just got my first sled and I'm looking for some advice on how [to start an avalanch}. Might be best to wait and see how the year pans out.

Yes, I do all my own wrenching, but as I get older I have less time and less desire to spend it working after work. So, to your point, warranties are nice.

I haven't been able to ride the khaos 850 side by side with my cat, but it sounds like the difference from Cat to Poo chassis alone is enough to negate turbos or heavy mods. Cat, unfortunately, seems to be a dying breed - pun intended. Now to find the Chris Burandt video...

Speed-Demon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 25, 2020
AK
Yea, it’s all relevant. We weren’t actually at any of these “showdowns”. So who knows the actual running and tuning status of any of these sleds. It’s mainly all hype for “your brand”. Cat makes great sleds no doubt. A lot of guys and gals ride em and love em. Will never ride anything but cats. I can definitely respect that as I’m a die hard Mopar man. Won’t own anything but mopars. You sound like a open minded person who knows what you want and don’t want out of your next sled. I’m the same way in the fact that I used to wrench on all my junk and now want nothing to do with it. Just want to get on, go have fun, park it and it’s ready for the next adventure. Just a little maintenance here and there.
Good thinking on toughing it out another year. Hopefully you get a chance to ride both of them and can decide what suits you best. Again, no disrespect to the cat guys, just seen my fair share of Polaris kicking butt on the slopes. But I also see 20 poos to 1 cat where I’m at. And rider ability has a lot to do with it as well.
Covid and the current state of things is scary for sure. Glad I’m in the AK where it don’t seem to matter as much.
And if I knew how to post links to videos I’d send the Burandt out to ya. But it’s under his old employee Ross Robinson’s you tube site or whatever it’s called. Good luck and keep ridin no matter what it’s on! It still beats sitting at home wishing you were riding!

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
I have ridden all four brands at one time or another. The pros can make any brand look good. You have to ride them to feel the real differences based on your preferences. The arctic cat Alpha is my current ride and my previous sleds were Polaris, skidoo, arctic cat, polaris, polaris, polaris in that order. My changes were for weight, handling and power. Every change was worth it to me. I had a 2010 M8 with turbo once and loved the power but it was negated by a 2013 Pro RMK so I switched.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I have an Alpha and a Khaos. In deep snow the Alpha is more capable and much easier to ride. The Khaos shocks are amazing, steering is easy, it will hold the sidehill in crappy snow where the Alpha washes out.

I do recommend the elevate kit for the Cat.

Sent it

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
Ive got a 2018 mtn cat with ssi pipe mode y pipe and a can, running with no reflash. it is my favorite sled ive ever ridden. the traction is amazing. i have ridden a few 850 skidoos and ridden with a few also. the handling comes down to preference of the rider, but powerwise the 850 doo could not match the cat. I am a cat guy but was very surprised at the lack of climbing ability of the doos. i loved how they ran and fit and finish and other things but they just didnt have any balls. i have not ridden with an 850 polaris but there is no way a turbo alpha is getting beat by a stock 850. any good running turbo of any brand will beat a stocker of any other brand. For the origional poster, when i upgrade after this year im going to get a a 20 or 21 alpha and put a pipe and can on it. if you keep the can and pipe you can swtich it back on if you need any work done at the dealer for warranty.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
keep modding your old stuff. my old iron 2011 pro chassis was the best sled in the world in 2011. in 2021 i bet you $1 its going to put the boots to any KHAOS i run into in the field. and on the track? Well im hoping so... lol . nothing wrong wiht m sleds but your best bang for buck, and i mean this. LIKE LITERALLY i dare someone to disagree... lol sell the m sled. Get a 2012 Pro rmk 600. and THEN silber turbo it. BAM! KAPOW!!! youtube kenny powers

Attachments

• 139457276_411413439969221_6055789027579202592_n.jpg
    139457276_411413439969221_6055789027579202592_n.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 31
C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I have ridden all four brands at one time or another. The pros can make any brand look good. You have to ride them to feel the real differences based on your preferences. The arctic cat Alpha is my current ride and my previous sleds were Polaris, skidoo, arctic cat, polaris, polaris, polaris in that order. My changes were for weight, handling and power. Every change was worth it to me. I had a 2010 M8 with turbo once and loved the power but it was negated by a 2013 Pro RMK so I switched.
this ! right here thats honesty. Also if you think m1000 turbo makes it better, well you would be wrong. good luck let us know how the season goes

Premium Features