• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Missing Sledder

CanyonRat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Riverton, Utah
So is the KSL story correct? The one Sledder flagged somebody down at 3 AM and the Sheriff arrived at 5AM? If that is true than this is night number 2............ that's not good.....

S
Dec 30, 2011
Hooper, Utah
It sounds like they went out at 6 p.m. and got sepperated at 10 p.m. So this will be night #2 which is scary. It doesn't sound like they were prepared to spend 1 night out let alone 2.

Always war

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2012
Utah
If this guy has a good head on his shoulders, he'll do just fine. It amazing what we can do when faced with challenging situations like this. The storms not suppose to clear out until Tuesday, so it might be a long one for this feller...hopefully he can hang on. I wish him the best!

CanyonRat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Riverton, Utah
Sometimes I can't help myself?:face-icon-small-sho
Truth is, you should always try to think you are prepared to spend at least one night out? If they actually went out at 6 PM with the known snow advisory, then the rest goes without saying? Time will tell!

True true. I take a look at the core riders of our weekly group and I'd say we go out pretty damn prepared..............!!!!

I've ridden a lot a night so I'm not here to to lay blame or judgement but you've got to go out prepared for at least 1 night........

CanyonRat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Riverton, Utah
If this guy has a good head on his shoulders, he'll do just fine. It amazing what we can do when faced with challenging situations like this. The storms not suppose to clear out until Tuesday, so it might be a long one for this feller...hopefully he can hang on. I wish him the best!

I wish him the very best out there........ Do we have any additional info on the lost rider?

Always war

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2012
Utah
I wish him the very best out there........ Do we have any additional info on the lost rider?

According to the news, it sounds like he may be from out of the state, so I'm sure he's not familiar with the area. Search has been suspended for the night, which means he's on his own for now.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=32905896

<iframe src="http://www.ksl.com/api/jwplayer/player.php?file=http://media.ksl.com/1419830654-1876087689.mp4&image=//media.ksl.com/1419830654-1876087689.jpg&width=640&height=360" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

LOGAN — Rescue crews spent the day Sunday looking through fog and snow for an Arizona man who got separated from his friend while they were snowmobiling in Logan Canyon the day before.

Lawrence Orduno, 48, of Arizona, and Courtney Wood, 27, of Logan, began recreating in the Franklin Basin area of the canyon about 6 p.m. Saturday. The two became separated about 10 p.m. after Wood got stuck in deep snow.

Wood is familiar with the area, but Orduno is not. Wood was able to get out and search for Orduno, but was unsuccessful, according to Cache County Sheriff's Lt. Doyle Peck.

About 3 a.m. Sunday, Wood flagged down a motorist in Logan Canyon, saying he needed help, said Cache County Sheriff Lynn Nelson.

The sheriff's office was notified, and search and rescue crews began combing the area early Sunday, though search efforts were hampered by heavy snowfall Sunday.

<q id="mf141">Go out and enjoy the outdoors but pay attention to what Mother Nature's going to throw at you. If a storm is brewing and coming in, it's best to hold off until another day, or at the very least, go up there with more than just two of you and stay together.</q>
–Cache County Sheriff's Lt. Doyle Peck​
Roughly 45 people were involved in the search Sunday afternoon, many of them riding snowmobiles and Snowcats. Rescue crews from Cache, Rich and Box Elder counties were looking on the Utah side of the basin, and crews from Franklin County, Idaho, were looking north of the Utah border, Nelson said.

Search and rescue crews were called off the mountain due to falling snow and darkness about 7 p.m. Sunday. Utah State Parks and Recreation staff members were planning on grooming the trails in the area Sunday night in an effort to help rescue efforts, which were set to resume at 7 a.m. Monday, Peck said.

Peck encouraged recreators to go during daylight hours and to check weather conditions, especially if they are visiting unfamiliar territory.

"It was odd. They went up later in the evening when it was getting dark, and a storm was coming in. … It was just a bad night to go," Peck said. "Go out and enjoy the outdoors but pay attention to what Mother Nature's going to throw at you. If a storm is brewing and coming in, it's best to hold off until another day, or at the very least, go up there with more than just two of you and stay together."

The lieutenant said deputies had been in contact with family members, who were "very upset (and) worried," but were optimistic of what Monday's continued search efforts could bring.

"We're hopeful that tomorrow morning after they groom the trails that we'll be able to get up there and get into some areas (during) the daylight," he said.
Contributing: Mary Ellen Geist and Kyle Spencer

B
Sep 19, 2010
Utah/South Dakota
True true. I take a look at the core riders of our weekly group and I'd say we go out pretty damn prepared..............!!!!

I've ridden a lot a night so I'm not here to to lay blame or judgement but you've got to go out prepared for at least 1 night........

Geez Al, do you think we ride with you because we like digging out the Orca? It's because you always have a supply of tampons and matches!:help: and we know that you know the area.
IMO this guy will need a miracle, because if he has made it to this point, it is only going to get colder.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I saw a trailer that said Renegade Rentals in the parking lot by the road at Franklin late Sat night and had a very sick feeling. If they rented sleds I wouldn't think they would be very prepared to spend a night. No idea if that was them or someone else but that late and as cold as it was I was worried. This just makes me sick, wish I could be up there today at least helping. Prayers go out to all involved.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
So good to hear!!! I cant imagine spending 2 nights out alone in those temps in a place you are not familiar with. Props out to all those that found him.

Premium Features