• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Minnesota mountain sledders

D
Dec 11, 2007
Jackson, Wy
Have been on the post "How many from MN" and noticed a lot of mountain sleds listed. I grew up there, moved west a few years ago and have been trying to get some of the guys I used to ride with there to come out here and try riding in the mountains. Most won't and I can't figure out what is holding them back. One of them showed up a few weeks ago with a 800 159" vertical escape and rode three consecutive days of 40" deep fresh powder. Couldn't have planned the timing any better.

My questions are: Where do you go to ride and how often? Add a few of your favorite pics and share some info on why you think it's all worth it.

Thanks and sorry about another short season there.

tog-tonystrip0182.jpg

tog-tonystrip011copy.jpg

wonderxc600

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
MN
Like to go to cooke, and togwotee. Go out twice a year. I just leave it set up for out there. I don't ride it at home.

Last edited:
M
Sep 4, 2007
Minnesota
Go out 2 or 3 times a year. I'm addicted! I don't even want to ride in Mn even when it snows. We usually go to West Yellowstone but have done Cooke a few times, Togwotee, The Snowies, and the Bridgers each once. I think some people are scared to go cause they know they'll be addicted to it too!

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
i go out to west yellowstone 1 time a year and don't even ride around home which is nisswa

F
Feb 7, 2003
MN
it is addicting but the reason i didn't go this year is because i didn't have the money to go. its expensive to haul a sled all the way out there & then pay through the arse for gas while you are out there plus the lodging & food. i just made it work for years but it finally caught up to me. need to pay off bills before going again.
another reason people may be scared is because they don't understand the snow. they think they will get their 121 off the trail & it will disapear. they don't understand that it is possible to ride a 121 out there but you have to know how to ride & you are a little more limited on the areas you ride. with all the avy's this year that also stops people.
it all comes down to understanding what it is all about.

J
Nov 26, 2007
minnesota
2-3 trips a year. 1 trip is always to tog, there other 2 kinda bounce around. Tryed cooke city this year and had a blast!! Will be goin there again. Ride snowies also.....
a few pics
linkinparktripmirandalambert036.jpg

linkinparktripmirandalambert059.jpg

linkinparktripmirandalambert037.jpg

clutch08046.jpg

X
Jan 27, 2008
Minnesota
I try to go out west every year, Cooke City or Lincoln. Finally going to move west this year! Colorado Springs, or Spokane. Cant wait for good snow years any longer, going to the Rockies.

C
Jan 11, 2008
Kind of off the topic here but how many of you go out west rent sleds? If so how much does a trip like that cost? I have a 00 700 rmk but don't really want to rely on it and also would like to ride a new sled out there. Just looking for ballpark amount on sled rentals/lodging.

Thanks

Cory

D
Dec 11, 2007
Jackson, Wy
IMO, the best way to find out for sure is to call a couple of lodges and ask. If you get an "all-inclusive package" at some place like Togwotee Mountain Lodge- lodge room/or cabin, meals, guide, state-of-the-art new sled, happy hour drinks, etc., probably in the area of $1000 a week. There are cheaper ways to do it wit a little research. Will also depend on where you go.
If you've got an RMK bring it on and see what you can do with it, you can always rent a sled for a day or two if you want to try a new one. cost= $150.00 - $200.00 a day for the rental.
Even a short track in spring conditions can be a lot of fun. Snow sets up and you can get a lot of places you can't get when the snow is soft and deep. At least you can ride.
Got first tracks in on October 7th and will probably be able to ride until sometime in June this year. 05 RMK w/ about 9000 miles.

Last edited:

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
15 miles in Minnesota and three trips so far out west, opps I forgot to bring my sled home last time out guess I will have to head back out west again. Next year going to just leave them out west the whole year and not worry about riding around here, heck if it snows I can go buy older model short track and that will due for MN.

snokaw

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
www.mhallmtbsnow.blogspot.com
My RMKs' don't know what Minnesota snow looks like. I let them look out of the enclosed trailer, but they don't get to hop out. They get to run around out west 5 -6 times a year.

H
Nov 21, 2007
MN
We ride the Horns, Laramie, Togwotee and Cooke mainly. Some other places. Try to do at least one trip a month starting on Thanksgiving, more if time and money allow.:D
DSC03058.jpg

Togwotee08039.jpg

DSC02216.jpg

Togwotee08010.jpg

Premium Features