• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Metal Buzzing/Clicking at 5500rpms Clutch side

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
I am having a vibration/metal clicking sound on my 2008 summit 800xp right at 5,500 rpms. No noise full throttle or idle. Only makes it at cruising speed/ mid range, literally right at 5500. the noise goes away above that and below it.

Bugging me extremely bad and it is really noisy when I have my helmet off. It is definitely coming from the clutch side and is NOT affecting the performance of my sled in anyway. Well if it is, it is very un noticeable.

Any ideas?

Dec 30, 2007
sd
check rubber grommet on top of belt guard..if its lost that may be your noise, bend on guard till it fits tighter...hope your clutch is not falling apart, got more vibration than usual?

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
check rubber grommet on top of belt guard..if its lost that may be your noise, bend on guard till it fits tighter...hope your clutch is not falling apart, got more vibration than usual?

Grommet is there on belt guard. nothing rattling that I can tell. I have pulled and wiggled almost everything. Looking into the clutch, all the pucks are there and in great condition. nothing wiggles or vibrates when I pull on the clutch. NO UN-USUAL vibrations. Just that nasty Noise.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Arm pivots sloppy? Rollers? Bushing in movable sheave intact? Sometimes they are just noisy....but its worth taking the primary off and making sure everything is good. Rarely do they go more than 1500 miles without needing a Maint kit.

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
Arm pivots sloppy? Rollers? Bushing in movable sheave intact? Sometimes they are just noisy....but its worth taking the primary off and making sure everything is good. Rarely do they go more than 1500 miles without needing a Maint kit.

Nothing Seemed sloppy in the clutch. It was just rebuilt less than 600miles ago. I pulled and wiggled everything and it seemed really tight. no weird vibrations or slips or brake dragging. Kind of odd! I guess Ill have the clutch torn apart just in case.

S

skidoo_guy

Nov 26, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Maybe the rear motor mount (about at the 8 oclock position behind the secondary) bolt sheared off. I had one shear on my 08 XP back in the day.

Not sure if the tower attachment for the secondary would do that. Back in the day there were reports of the bolts tearing out of the tower.

Have you checked the runout of your crank?

Y
Apr 22, 2008
Does your sled have e-start? My bendix hit the starter ring at around those rpm's. Thought I had detonation on PTO side until I could track down what was wrong. Run the sled with track off ground and check whats happening with clutch guard off! I just tied the bendix down with two strong zip ties.

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
New motor, and new mounts....my mount bolt sheered too before I put the new motor in.

no I don't have e start..... I did put on a slp pipe kit and head (recently). I am going to recheck all of those items tonight. I did a brief run around on it. everything is where is should be and no broken exhaust springs or loose bolts. Again its really weird that it only does it at 5500 rpms:face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features