• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mccall conditions

M
Mar 11, 2011
Sandy, UT
Heading up to Mccall next weekend. Have sledded there once, best day ever, and was just north of Payette Lake. Love boondocking but usually stay below 35 degrees. Are there any suggestions, and how are the conditions right now. Utah is horrible, we haven't even went out to check all our sleds this year. I really fell in love with the area and would appreciate any advice!
Thanks,
Monty

R
Nov 26, 2007
New Meadows
Looks like things will warm up this week, with a good chance of rain a couple of days in McCall, but they are not always right! The best thing is to go up to get out of the wet snow. The higher the better, above 7,000 feet I would say. You might want to bring a fuel can.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
It is done until next snow. Rained up to 7000 feet or higher, couldn't even get any higher today due to a 2 inch layer of frozen crust that kept trying to hook skis and kill us. Going to be cold for a while, so no softening that up. I was told by a friend of a friend that it rained up to 8000 feet.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Not a lot better since the rain event, but they did pick up a LITTLE bit. Just enough to hide the landmines, but not enough to keep them from being hit.

Brown Dog ADV

Premium Member
Jan 7, 2015
Bend, OR
Not a lot better since the rain event, but they did pick up a LITTLE bit. Just enough to hide the landmines, but not enough to keep them from being hit.
Looks like there has been some snow recently... Wondering if the riding conditions have improved around the McCall area?
Heading over to McCall the last week in February and wondering if it's worth bringing the sleds??
Thanks!

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
McCall is NOT a good place to go these days. Trails were totally whooped out Saturday. Parking lots are packed out. Everyone and their dog is coming here to ride now. SOOO many out-of-state riders. Snow is pretty much all tracked up with all of the sledders showing up . . . it is a total ZOO!! The amount of people coming to ride in McCall has pretty much ruined the experience for us locals. Yah we still have our no-tellum spots to ride, but getting there is a nightmare sometimes.

J
Dec 12, 2017
Boise
McCall is NOT a good place to go these days. Trails were totally whooped out Saturday. Parking lots are packed out. Everyone and their dog is coming here to ride now. SOOO many out-of-state riders. Snow is pretty much all tracked up with all of the sledders showing up . . . it is a total ZOO!! The amount of people coming to ride in McCall has pretty much ruined the experience for us locals. Yah we still have our no-tellum spots to ride, but getting there is a nightmare sometimes.
That ain’t no lie. I have a place on Warren Wagon and Saturday morning it was a freeway to FW lot, 80% of them out of state plates. I dropped my kids off at Brundage @ 8am and their lot was already half full with a line waiting for lifts to open an hour later. There was a line of trucks trying to get into the upper lot when we went by. Going to try some different areas this weekend. Hopefully get away from the masses.

Brown Dog ADV

Premium Member
Jan 7, 2015
Bend, OR
That ain’t no lie. I have a place on Warren Wagon and Saturday morning it was a freeway to FW lot, 80% of them out of state plates. I dropped my kids off at Brundage @ 8am and their lot was already half full with a line waiting for lifts to open an hour later. There was a line of trucks trying to get into the upper lot when we went by. Going to try some different areas this weekend. Hopefully get away from the masses.
I hear you... but you can't have all of them over there cause we've been seeing mostly out of state plates filling up the sno-parks in the Central Oregon area. It's the first season in four plus decades of living in Central Oregon that I've ever seen it where if you aren't there early you aren't getting a parking spot at the main sno-parks around Mt. Bachelor.
Pray for snow! We'll be watching the weather and hopefully bringing the sleds.?

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Its about 70% washington plates in McCall area parking lots now - HORRIBLE problem!!!
Surely there is some decent snow in Washington for them to STAY HOME and ride on . . .?!!

Seeing alot of folks without proper stickers on their sleds - both out of state and local. Pretty stiff fine if you are caught, and they DO patrol the parking lots!

jonathanlo

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2018
Weiser, ID
I was at the West(?) parking lot at Brundage a couple of weeks ago and they had a couple of pinecone cops (Forest Service) roaming around the parking lot. If you guys want some less traveled areas, check out Sumpter, OR and around the Baker area. I posted a video in the Oregon riding conditions forum from Big Creek (about a half hour or so from Baker City). Check out the video. Super deep snow and my father in law and I looked to be the first to ride it in quite a while. I love McCall, but there's always way too many people to catch some untouched snow. I live in Weiser btw.

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
WA sledder here wondering if there's anything ridable in McCall area yet?
We have 8 trucks loaded and ready to come as soon as a local says it's good and to head on over!

Premium Features