• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lynx reviews?

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
What does everyone think about the Lynx Boondockers this season? I'm curious about the differences in ride, feel, and performance compared to the Summit models.

I've seen a snarky comment or two on social media suggesting that they trench pretty bad in deep snow, but I haven't heard any real reviews on them from people who own or have spent time on them.

Sorry if there's a review thread somewhere already, I couldn't find one on here.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I'm probably not qualified on the ride and feel lol.

I really like mine, but with the crappy snow season the thing overheats CONSTANTLY. the "snowflap" is useless. Its fine when there is pow/soft snow. Problem is it hasn't snowed here in like 6 weeks and everything is ice.

Other than that I have no complaints with mine.

My friend who bought my old 2014 Summit has not overheated once. Same riding area, same **** snow same scratchers. its the "snowflap" on the lynx that is garbage.

I really like the suspension a ton better compared to my 2014 summit.

Last edited:
C
Mar 15, 2018
No personal experience, however, I know two guys that have one. The one is an experienced aggressive mountain rider and he LOVES his. MUCH better than his previous Summits. The other guy is an inexperienced rider and I rode with him once and he struggled with it. I chalked it uo to his inexperience but the other day I was riding with another guy from our group (Polaris rider) and I let him take my Summit X 165 for a rip. He said it was WAY easier to ride than the other guys Lynx (but not as easy as his poo). He said that HE found the other guys Lynx to be "an anchor" and VERY difficult to put on edge.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Ok, just spent 5 days in Steamboat and got a fair amount of seat time on one and spent the rest of the time on a 2020 Summit Expert. First of all, they ride very different. Love the skis and hate the skis. Lots of floatation, but the keel is way too aggressive. Rear suspension works awesome on rough trails, puts the Summit to shame. Both carve about the same in fresh powder. Summit feels a bit more playful. Running boards on Lynx are to narrow for me. My Klim size 12 boots actually got stuck between the brake caliper guard and running board edge. Cooling was about the same on the trail. Didn't really have issue with the little snow flap. Really great sled. Not sure it's for me, but didn't dislike it.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I'm probably not qualified on the ride and feel lol.

I really like mine, but with the crappy snow season the thing overheats CONSTANTLY. the "snowflap" is useless. Its fine when there is pow/soft snow. Problem is it hasn't snowed here in like 6 weeks and everything is ice.

Other than that I have no complaints with mine.

My friend who bought my old 2014 Summit has not overheated once. Same riding area, same **** snow same scratchers. its the "snowflap" on the lynx that is garbage.

I really like the suspension a ton better compared to my 2014 summit.
My soon-to-be father in law put one of those lynx flaps on his 175" Summit turbo and halfway through the 2nd day with it, it was broken and flapping around. I pulled it off the rest of the way and it broke very easily. The mount snapped on one side and the flap itself broke on the other side, it all seemed very brittle.

M7sleddn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Twin Falls, Id
I love mine. Coming off a 17 summit 850. I also have a 18 free ride. I wanted to try the Lynx for the rear skid and it is better in all conditions. It holds the edge better while sidehilling. When climbing the rear skid absorbs bumps more like a motorbike As stated above on rough trails it is amazing. It is effortless over wooped out trails. The only down side is it is 40 lbs heavier than my 17. Can’t really feel it until stuck. Then it is obvious. My 17 skis were set on narrow and the Lynx is on wide ski stance. I’m going to switch to narrow and see if it makes it easier to rock back and forth in the flats as it is not as easy as the 17 was. After riding this rear skid I won’t be back on ski doo until they have something comparable I like it that much.

M7sleddn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Twin Falls, Id
Running boards are 2” narrower on the Lynx and it helps in sidehilling especially with the crappy snow conditions we have in Idaho. The running boards do not hang up as easy.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
My soon-to-be father in law put one of those lynx flaps on his 175" Summit turbo and halfway through the 2nd day with it, it was broken and flapping around. I pulled it off the rest of the way and it broke very easily. The mount snapped on one side and the flap itself broke on the other side, it all seemed very brittle.
Mine is still in one piece.

Yesterday it was warm enough that the trail ride was a little slushy rather than ice.. No overheating yesterday. It just really struggles to keep it cool even with scratchers when its hardpacked.

M
Nov 5, 2012
Sicamous B.C
would like to see more action in this thread! what issues has everyone had after a full season of riding? Some people must be close and over the 2000 km marks any belt issues or do they seem bullet proof

, just sno-checked a shredder pretty stoked for next season

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I also checked a re shredder 154 turbo. Not giving up my kaos boost. I bet people be amazed at how much more nimble it is with 15 wide compared to the 16 wide. I rode a 22 ds 4100 and was comparing it to a 21 165 turbo. It was easier to put on edge than turbo but not as easy as my wife's 21 165 kaos. The suspension is to die for. I even like the more narrow feel on tank over the doo. I looked at the 23 ds shredder at jackson. It feels heavier and harder to tip up than kaos boost. Clutch side is really narrowed. Exhaust side not so much. A person can always put 34 inch front end on. I will be getting rid of skis and running sly dogs or mohawks. I think it will be an awesome sled.

M7sleddn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Twin Falls, Id
Last Friday was 64 or so on the ride I went on. So the snow was really heavy. Had my belt overheat warning go off for the first time. No engine overheating as everywhere we rode was slushy. I rode my friends matrix boost so got to compare a little. The Polaris front end is very predictable. I am used to the twitchy front end of Doo \ lynx but the Polaris is nice. The boost has a kmod rear skid which is really nice, but I am really happy with the lynx rear skid and do not see any reason to upgrade it. Very predictable in all conditions and just flat out works. Boost definitely has lag. I am so used to how snappy the NA doo engine is I about went over the handlebars of the boost a handful of times. It would take some getting used to. My friend when on the Lynx said he had to make sure he was always hanging on because it has instant throttle response. Doo engine and Big Johns clutching just work. In the wet heavy snow I am still pulling the exact same R's as in powder. Third guy in our group on a kaos 850 was down 300 R's.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Our 2022 LYNX Boondocker 4100 DS has been a great sled! The suspension is so much better than the Gen4 Summit especially on whooped out trails. The LYNX side hills well and has become a favorite sled for the spring snow conditions when the snow is firm in the morning and soft in the afternoon. No overheating issues and this is a big deal in the spring.

Premium Features