• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lower A-Arm ball joint failures

P
Dec 5, 2009
Hood
My buddy had a lower ball joint rip out of the socket from turning and catching a ski in some thicker setup snow that was under powder. This in turn takes out the upper a-arm completely and usually bends the shock shaft and tie rod.

My sled, a g4 with replaced but still stock A-arms, (2022 production) had the same lower a-arm ball joint failure from glancing off a tree. I wasn’t even ejected the hit was so light.

I’ve heard this is happening a bit, what is everyone doing to avoid this besides the obvious… keeping the skis in light bottomless powder? Replacing with aftermarket a-arms that have a different type of ball joint? Replacing just the ball joint with an aftermarket option?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
seems like a pretty rare thing if as described. don’t recall ever reading about that.

D

Daner1978

Nov 26, 2022
Cottonwood Heights Utah
My buddy had a lower ball joint rip out of the socket from turning and catching a ski in some thicker setup snow that was under powder. This in turn takes out the upper a-arm completely and usually bends the shock shaft and tie rod.

My sled, a g4 with replaced but still stock A-arms, (2022 production) had the same lower a-arm ball joint failure from glancing off a tree. I wasn’t even ejected the hit was so light.

I’ve heard this is happening a bit, what is everyone doing to avoid this besides the obvious… keeping the skis in light bottomless powder? Replacing with aftermarket a-arms that have a different type of ball joint? Replacing just the ball joint with an aftermarket option?
I think you just got unlucky! I’ve been running Z Bros upper and lower a arms and have never had an issue. Also running Slp mohawk skis

P
Dec 5, 2009
Hood
I think you just got unlucky! I’ve been running Z Bros upper and lower an arms and have never had an issue. Also running Slp mohawk skis
Hmmm… both of our dealers said the same. “Haven’t seen this”. Do the ZBros use the skidoo ball joints or their own?

D

Daner1978

Nov 26, 2022
Cottonwood Heights Utah
Hmmm… both of our dealers said the same. “Haven’t seen this”. Do the ZBros use the skidoo ball joints or their own?
They have their own ball joints pressed into the A-arms when you buy them. They are bulletproof also! Best A- arms you can buy in my opinion. I have my stock lower a arms if you are needing anything replaced. They are off of a 2022 skidoo Freeride. They are brand new takeoffs and I would let the lower set of a arms go for $200

P
Dec 5, 2009
Hood
They have their own ball joints pressed into the A-arms when you buy them. They are bulletproof also! Best A- arms you can buy in my opinion. I have my stock lower an arms if you are needing anything replaced. They are off of a 2022 skidoo Freeride. They are brand new takeoffs and I would let the lower set of a arms go for $200
Oddly the lower doesn’t look bent but it must be at least tweaked a bit. Good price though… I may take you up on that.

B14CA5F0-851C-475F-96F5-47292740EB72.jpeg

Premium Features