• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lots of respect for sled skills in pow

D
Dec 17, 2008
Bellingham
Out skiing off the sled saturday and got it stuck in the gloriously light and deep powder repeatedly. Lots of digging, skiing out in the dark, etc. Still a great day with epic ski lines, but almost had to leave the sled.

I think its time to brush up on my sled skills in deep pow or stick to the trails more. It might improve my skiing.

Sore digging and pulling muscles motivated me to buy a snobungie today. Anyone got any great tips for getting un-stuck (or not getting stuck)?

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Out skiing off the sled saturday and got it stuck in the gloriously light and deep powder repeatedly. Lots of digging, skiing out in the dark, etc. Still a great day with epic ski lines, but almost had to leave the sled.

I think its time to brush up on my sled skills in deep pow or stick to the trails more. It might improve my skiing.

Sore digging and pulling muscles motivated me to buy a snobungie today. Anyone got any great tips for getting un-stuck (or not getting stuck)?

Learn the sled skills, will be way safer and a lot more fun. Schooled 1-4 vids are good learning tools, ride with skilled riders that will teach you how to sidehill steep terrain, carve in power, do downhill u turns in steep terrain and etc.. I learned the hardway how dangerous it is to be in big terrain on sleds without the necessary skills. Wife and I still do a lot of sled assisted back country skiing but on a many days when it's fresh and deep we leave the skis behind. We never thought that would happen! When you really learn to ride in the steep and deep you get all the ski, float and turn pow sensations we all crave. Have fun and stay safe:)))

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
You have to learn how to carve to get around in pow. Trying to ride your sled in flat tractor mode will often get you stuck. Carving is essentially using the sled in the same way as you would a ski. To initiate a carve, you want to countersteer the opposite direction you plan to go, lean into the direction you want to turn, and then blip the throttle enough to initiate the turn. Learning to "feather the throttle" (i.e., the pace at which you modulate the throttle - holding the throttle in any single position while trying to maneuver generally diminishes control) is also really important. As for getting unstuck, the easiest and fastest way is usually to simply move the track over a couple feet onto packed snow. If you have a crew of folks, this can be done with brute force. If not, it will require some shoveling. It also helps to pack out the exit line a bit. And don't be afraid to pin it when getting unstuck! If you get stuck climbing up a hill, you can often roll your sled out of the stuck. Another hot tip is to carry your ski boots in a rack, in a dry bag, and wear snomo boots (or sorels, etc.) on the ride in and out. Ski boots suck for riding sleds, and the running boards will damage your boots.

Last edited:

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
When you get stuck. Roll the sled onto one side and pack the snow down under your track. The roll to the other side and do the same thing. Then knock down the snow damn in front of your skis and your good to go. Most important thing is to learn how to feather the throttle and counter steer. I was just like you and realized that riding the sled is 50 percent of the equation so I spent a season just riding years ago. I still ski but I ride a lot more than I used to.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
All of the above is great advice and snobunjie is a great tool. Unless you are in a hole or gully just rolling the sled completely over in soft snow is an easy and harmless solution...assuming it is fuel injected.

M
Feb 8, 2016
Momentum Game

Sometimes it's important to check set up of your machine.

If you're not track tensioned right and don't have your belt deflection in spec.....you're making it harder on yourself, especially in the deep.

We spent some time in Cooke City (5 days) and I re-tensioned and tightened the belt 2x.

Deep pow makes your machine hot, stretches the belt mega.

Deep powder below.

https://vimeo.com/153842197

Mo Pros
www.mo-pros.com

IMG_0698.jpg IMG_0703.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features