• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lost snowmobilers' story a Lifetime movie

Sled Idaho

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2002
McCall, Idaho
www.snowmobile-alliance.org
The Lifetime channel is airing a movie called "Lost Holiday" this Saturday. It is the story of Jim & Suzanne Shemwell who spent four nights out after getting their snowmobiles stuck.

They were eventually found by SW forum members Julio & Extreme-One.

Hopefully Scott will get on here and tell more of the story.

About the movie

D
Dec 7, 2007
I was one of the extras from Calgary that participated in the movie. I don't believe we get the Lifetime channel in Alberta/Canada. Would be nice to see the movie if possible.

Could someone tape it and send it to me at a later date?
Thank you

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
I've been waiting to see how this turns out... I see Jimmy every once in a while and talk to him about it, he said it would be out sometime this fall. I set the DVR to record it due to a Christmas party I'm attending. I looked through the list of actors and didn't see anyone playing myself... I guess they couldn't get Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise to play the part...:face-icon-small-win And sense Arnold Schwarzenegger isn't acting while being the Gov... then I guess Julio is sh*t out of luck too... :D:face-icon-small-dis

I think on Dish Network it's channel 108, Life...

R

RobG

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2003
Nowhere
Dish Network Channel 108. I just set the DVR for it.

Rob

Edit: Corrected channel number.

Last edited:

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Wow, they made a movie about it uh? I wonder how true to life it will be....

I wonder how many people that were actually up there looking for them (that were capeable of getting past 4 corners) were ever interviewed or even talked to by the people that scripted the movie? Myself and Susan's nephew Bo were the first two up there looking for them. Bo and I had met several years before and rode together for two seasons. He had gotten out of riding that year and did not have a sled. He called me at 1:00 am the first night they did not make it back. I went over to my bosses house and picked up a spare sled for him. We were up there before first light and started searching long before S&R ever showed. Bo and I put in more miles than I could count. We rode every day. And where we could not ride, Bo and one of his friends snow shoed. It's true that Julio found them, but even he will tell you that he just happened on them.

I just have to wonder, if people like myself or the many friends that I have who joined the search and rode every day don't even know that there was a movie made about this event, how true to life will it be? I hope they don't sugar coat it. The truth here is that Jim and Susan made a lot of mistakes. They were not well prepared. They did a lot of things that should have cost them their lives. The only thing that kept them alive was that the were tough, tougher than most. That Susan is one strong woman. I'm sure glad they made it out alive.

--Perk

Last edited:
E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
It is true that Julio and I were in the right place at the right time but I'd say that Jim and Susan did quite a few things right to make it as long as they did. With very little food they were still able to keep there focus on surviving all those days.

I agree with Perk... I hope they don't sugar coat it but I'm guessing that sense Hollywood got there hands on it, it will be slanted quite a bit. I would say that the people that were up there searching day and night didn't get near the recognition they should have.:)

S
Nov 28, 2007
New Sharon, ME
"Lifetime, the channel for women"

Its probably going to have some unrealistic parts, its a "Made or TV" movie!. I remember when the movie "Drop Zone" came out me and a bunch of skydiving buddies got together to watch the debut. It was a hoot!! We couldn't watch it without dissecting and laughing at the poor portrayal of how DZ's really are. There were A LOT of WTF moments!

We'll have to wait and see.

SK.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Thanks for the info. It would be interesting to hear the real story too.

As for the NMFH's, I hope they at least have the chin-straps fastened when appropriate. I've seen way too many shows where they just throw the helmets on, chinstraps dangling, and they ride off.

D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
they made a lot of mistakes, but eventually they started doing hte right things.

they went riding without telling anyone where they were going. This was the worst. We were all looking based on their truck being there, and no confirmation they were even in the area.

They got turned around, so started following ridges down in hopes of finding somewhere familiar.

Then they got smart. They hunkered down, and quit wasting their energies. They then stayed drier and warm.
They melted snow water.

You can freeze to death in an hour.
You die of dehydration in 4 days.

It takes a month to die of starvation.

Lots of folks were out looking. I'll never forget sitting in 50 feet whiteout conditions and the Blackhawk coming into sight 50 feet away from us as he was confirming we weren't the lost people.

Premium Features