• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for a little more "umph" out of my dragon

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Well I did a search, came up with as good as nothing. So I'll start a new topic.
Warranty is up mid next winter, so I am looking at getting a bit more power out of my dragon. Thinking single pipe, head/head work, possibly porting if it can be reliably done on this engine. My question is, what's proven? I have a dynoteck subscription, so I can look at the HP numbers, but I'm looking for some answers from the guys who have lots of miles on their engine mods. SLP pipe seems very popular, is it the best? Bikeman claims more out of their stuff than slp does. But I don't see to many guys going with bikeman? I want a pretty noticeable power gain by the time I'm done, But I need it to be reliable. Turbo or 860 would be awesome but I can't afford that. How many guys are running mod "ish" NA motors in their D8? I want to be able to run on 91/92 octane. Will be running regular gas, mixed with 100LL to get that rating as good premium is not available here.
Talk away guys.

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Awesome thanks man.

your welcome..how much more are you looking for...my 08 is stock motor w/ slp single, good clutching/gears ..the biggest performance pickup I have seen is from the track/D&R, and clutching....and mine will hold its own with xp's and m's....

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I did a high compression head with pipe mod and it does work very well. I had some clutching issues that I don't think were related to that mod, but when it runs it really rips! It was a better alternative to twin pipes because of the amount of race fuel that was required. I do run about 6:1 91 to race fuel.

If you can do a turbo that would be the way to go, but I spent $800 on my mod and it is a big step on a stock 800. Twins are much more money and once again require more race fuel.

One thing to keep in mind is that the different ECM flashes work differently with mods. I had to step back to the stock 09 flash because the deton sensor is too sensitive with most changes on the 2010 flashes.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
your welcome..how much more are you looking for...my 08 is stock motor w/ slp single, good clutching/gears ..the biggest performance pickup I have seen is from the track/D&R, and clutching....and mine will hold its own with xp's and m's....

I'm thinking around 20 HP if that's do able. The numbers don't really matter, but I would like to be around 170 ish. Track and drop and roll are coming before the engine mods. So that will also be done. Planning on CE with a holz drop.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
I ran Carl's porting, SLP pipe, milled head on my 08 and again on my 09...very reliable with good non ethanol fuel. I also ran lots more intake air.
But with the 2010 update you will want to ask some questions, the sled might be on the lean side at low R's. Even a lot of stockers are. Some are going back to the original 08 fuel map, others are using a fuel controller so factor that into your thinking.

D
Mar 24, 2008
Idaho
Head

As far as heads go I would go with brad wursten head. My compression went from 90 to 115. Hand's down the best mod i've done. he knows his stuff. Here is a link to his add on snowest. Much more bottom end. Pulled my rpm's from 7700 to 8000 pulling a hill.

He says it will give you an additional 8-10 horse.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195719&highlight=addiction

Carl's is good. But Brad is better.

Last edited:
E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Don't forget about N2O if refills are an option in your area. The BD Synergy adjustable is a quick HP gain for those moments when its important. Leaving her stock and running juice might be an option. There are a few used ones out there to help keep costs down

My suggestion is to sell the camper or the old coin collection that doesn't produce huge grins and sleepless nights waiting for the next day and get boosted. Try to ride a good boosted sled then you'll find something you already have that you could live without to get that feeling back. Maybe thats why they call it an addiction. lol. Good luck. EW

D
Mar 24, 2008
Idaho
Don't forget about N2O if refills are an option in your area. The BD Synergy adjustable is a quick HP gain for those moments when its important. Leaving her stock and running juice might be an option. There are a few used ones out there to help keep costs down

My suggestion is to sell the camper or the old coin collection that doesn't produce huge grins and sleepless nights waiting for the next day and get boosted. Try to ride a good boosted sled then you'll find something you already have that you could live without to get that feeling back. Maybe thats why they call it an addiction. lol. Good luck. EW

x2. I rode my first boosted sled and now i'm looking how I can work my way into a turbo.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
I ran Carl's porting, SLP pipe, milled head on my 08 and again on my 09...very reliable with good non ethanol fuel. I also ran lots more intake air.
But with the 2010 update you will want to ask some questions, the sled might be on the lean side at low R's. Even a lot of stockers are. Some are going back to the original 08 fuel map, others are using a fuel controller so factor that into your thinking.

Thanks Ron. I'm running a PCV right now, so I can adjust if needed. I will be putting on EGT's as well. Wouldn't mind a A/F gauge as well, just to see what's she's doing.

As far as heads go I would go with brad wursten head. My compression went from 90 to 115. Hand's down the best mod i've done. he knows his stuff. Here is a link to his add on snowest. Much more bottom end. Pulled my rpm's from 7700 to 8000 pulling a hill.

He says it will give you an additional 8-10 horse.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195719&highlight=addiction

Carl's is good. But Brad is better.

Sounds like what I'm looking for. :) I'll look into his stuff for sure. Thanks

I have considered NOS.... Might happen yet. Refills are possible to get, but not easy. Turbo would be just killer I know. But I can't afford to change pistons and reeds once a year. And I'm not sure I could handle 250 hp. Not to mention I don't need it lol Would be fun though no doubt.

What about the Bikeman heads?
Thinking about put one on a 09 Dragon 800.

Not sure about the D8, but know a guy who put one on a D7, and it works, ok. Motor is other wise stock, he can't really feel the power difference, but his sled pulls all other stock 7's around here no problem. Given he is clutched quite well for drag race style riding. It does help. But it's not a huge gain on it's own.

C
Oct 29, 2008
Will NOS really make that much of a difference and how much can you use it and still be safe I am only looking at using it 2-4 weekend day races. I too am looking at tryong to get around the 170s for HP. Mine rips pretty good now but would like to have that extra shot there for anything that starts creeping on me.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
What about the SLP twin pipes? F-bomb seesm to really like them. Yeah it requires a couple gallons of race gas but why couldn't you just do 50/50 with AV Gas?
SLP is claiming 15hp with them. To me it SEEMS like the cheapest way to get CLOSE to 170.
An 860 would be nice but he11 if your going to shell out that kind of money you might as well go wall the way and get boosted.

NOS is the cheapest $$ per hp but it's not all the time and you eventually run out.
Caper - NOS makes a difference depending on the size shot you use. I have a 30hp shot and it makes a difference of not topping out sometimes. It works better on a big load like climbing, racing not as much.
Is NOS safe? That's like asking if bungy jumping is safe....yes if you know what your doing and take care of your equipment. I am currenly sledless because of NOS...from a 30hp shot. My fault though....it's a learning process....an expensive one at that.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
NITROUS

What about the SLP twin pipes? F-bomb seesm to really like them. Yeah it requires a couple gallons of race gas but why couldn't you just do 50/50 with AV Gas?
SLP is claiming 15hp with them. To me it SEEMS like the cheapest way to get CLOSE to 170.
An 860 would be nice but he11 if your going to shell out that kind of money you might as well go wall the way and get boosted.

NOS is the cheapest $$ per hp but it's not all the time and you eventually run out.
Caper - NOS makes a difference depending on the size shot you use. I have a 30hp shot and it makes a difference of not topping out sometimes. It works better on a big load like climbing, racing not as much.
Is NOS safe? That's like asking if bungy jumping is safe....yes if you know what your doing and take care of your equipment. I am currenly sledless because of NOS...from a 30hp shot. My fault though....it's a learning process....an expensive one at that.

Snow Bob,

Out of curiosity what went wrong??

I've run Nitrous in 1/4 mile drag cars and Cigarette boats for years. I still have a brand new N.O.S. brand "wet" system for lil' engines, complete w/electric bottle heater sitting on the shelf, bought it for both the jet -ski and the sled, and next the RZR, never got around to installing it, maybe soon.........................Spoke w/Holtzman about his regulator and solenoid set-up, would probably upgrade to those components for tuning consistency.

Last edited:

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta

I was temped to try them, but they give you most HP on top end, not much happening in the mid range. For me I sled lots in the trees, and not to much wide open high marking style riding, so I'm not sure I would gain much from twins. not the right style power band for me I don't think. You know turbo is starting to be tempting... It's doubt full that I'll go that route though. I wanna buy a truck over the summer as well. Gotta budget a bit. :) I'll do what I can.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I was temped to try them, but they give you most HP on top end, not much happening in the mid range. For me I sled lots in the trees, and not to much wide open high marking style riding, so I'm not sure I would gain much from twins. not the right style power band for me I don't think. You know turbo is starting to be tempting... It's doubt full that I'll go that route though. I wanna buy a truck over the summer as well. Gotta budget a bit. :) I'll do what I can.

port it..carl's, slp , or fastrax..porting, slp single, fuel controller and a good head..then tune it in and smile...

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
port it..carl's, slp , or fastrax..porting, slp single, fuel controller and a good head..then tune it in and smile...

Yes sir. That's my plan. What do you think of this? Slp single pipe, Brad Wursten (power addiction) head, and carls full porting. I have a PCV already, so I'll be getting EGT's as well. Possibly a wide band. Plans could change but as of right now that's what I want to do.

Premium Features