• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking For 1st Sled - Should I Stay Away From The 800?

B
Jan 24, 2011
Kamloops, BC
I am starting to shop for my 1st mountain sled. 08-10 Polaris 800 sleds are very reasonably priced locally.

But I see that these sleds can have engine problems. Are the recommended for a 1st timer?

If so what should I look for when checking out a used machine.

L
Feb 22, 2013
Hey. I was just in the same situation as you and recently picked up my first sled (yeay!).

After researching here (great site) it was clear that a used 800 was perhaps not the best choice (reliability and/or economy ie need a fix kit).

Consider also the 700! That's what I ended up getting. Most would agree that it does give much up to the 800 and generally considered to be rock reliable (there's always exceptions of course as with any machine).
Arguable better anyway for a first sled to manage a little less power?

Only got out on it 5 times or so this spring and never wished harder that winter could last longer haha! Now I see what all the fuss is about and looking forward to next season so bad :clock:

Good Luck!

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
Yes the 800s do have problems but if you put the few extra bucks into a 800 IE the MTNTK fix kit and a new renic cyl's you should be fine..dont be scared of the 800 just put some thought in how to fix it and enjoy.. also INDYDAN has some really nice stuff also with 3 year warranty..for a grand.

S
Jan 28, 2008
Denver, CO
My 700 Dragon blew up in February at 2500 miles. I wasn't impressed. I bought a 600 for reliability. So far, no issues with it. Yes, it's a little short on motor for long climbs, but I'd rather have a sled I can trust. If you put in aftermarket exhaust and a 660 kit, you can get the same power as a 700. But for your first year, I don't think you're going to need a ton of power anyway.

Last edited:
W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
It kind of seems (at least I hope) that you either get a good one, or a bad one. Just from what I have read and talked to guys about, they either blow them up 5 times, or they never have any issues. My 09 has over 3,000 fairly hard miles on it and I haven't had a single motor issue, then again it could blow up on me the next trip out.... but so can any sled I guess...

So I guess my point is, if you can know for sure if it has been a good sled or not from the beginning, and has not been blown up 17 times you'll probably be OK.

Last edited:

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
My 700 Dragon blew up in February at 2500 miles. I wasn't impressed. I bought a 600 for reliability. So far, no issues with it. Yes, it's a little short on motor for long climbs, but I'd rather have a sled I can trust. If you put in aftermarket exhaust and a 660 kit, you can get the same power as a 700. But for your first year, I don't think you're going to need a ton of power anyway.

A 660 will give you stock 800 power and run better than the 700

D

DYEMAN

Banned
Feb 21, 2008
1st time buyer ( small budget )

Buy a 800 cat cheap , low miles good shape done, the 700 Polaris a good choice! Buy a sled with very little problems reported the years you are looking at fix it kits are all right but if you are on a low budget not the best idea to start fixing Right away then you get into deep and (brand ? Look at the top mountain riders those years ( Chris B, Ect ) not a bad choice !:argue::argue:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
The 07-10 Polaris 700s are great, pretty dang reliable and a VERY fun machine! For the most part they will run real close to any new 800 until you get into the super steep/deep. Second to that I would probably agree about an M8 - the newer the better. The 07/08 M8s were pretty boring, 09 and newer had some additional refinements that made them perform a lot better.

For myself personally, I prefer the Polaris IQ chassis, it just fits me better and has a taller feel to it along with a better suspension than the early M sleds. For a first timer though I would personally avoid the 800 Polaris as they do have a reputation for NEEDING work.

Good Luck!

B
Jan 24, 2011
Kamloops, BC
Good information. The 700's are rarer in this area. What years were the 700's made? I don't think Polaris makes them anymore?

And interesting to see no votes for the Ski-doo's. They are a bit higher priced and seem to have a lot more km's on them.

*edit* I see 94fordguy answered my question on when the Polaris 700's were made.

Last edited:

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
A 700 has way more grunt than a 600! I like the 600's but they can break down just as easily as a 700 especially if constantly being worked hard. You can buy an 800 for cheap and install a fix kit and be in same ballpark as a 6/700 and have the power at hand you will want and need in no time...

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
You can find a cheap D8, put in Wisco pistons or the Fix it Kit and will be fine. Swap out the rear skid with a pro rear skid and you have a Pro 800 in a dragon chassis and you will be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
D8 = Polaris Dragon 800 (IQ Chassis)
Pro Rear Skid = A new Polaris Pro Chassis rear end components

I bought an 08 Polaris 700 before last season as my fist sled. I haven't had any problems (knock on wood) other than normal maintenance. I replaced the front end plastics and bumper with a 2010 IQ front end kit from Polaris ($500). I highly recommend upgrading any IQ to the 09 - 10 front end as the 08's and older had cheap plastic front bumpers and were "bulky" with all the extra plastic. For your first season you'll need a strong front bumper as people will be pulling you out of trenches all day ;-). I bought my 700 with ~500 miles on it. I also replaced the exhaust valve gaskets, replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets, put in new plugs, changed the chaincase fluid, lubed the chassis and driveshaft, cut the windshield, took it to a mechanic afterwards for a sanity check, and now it has ~1200 miles on it. I felt some "bogging" on my last two rides, so I'll be cleaning the power valves in November.

Now that I'm heading into my second season, I can definitely see the benefit of some extra power in deep technical sidehilling and tree riding, but most of my faults each ride were due to rider error, not lack of power on the sled.

Just my $.02.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Pro Rear skid will help keep the dragon (IQ) on top of the snow by eliminating trenching, it bolts right in. I totally agree with upgrading the front bumbers and plastics.

J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
I looked and researched for mouths on sleds. ended up going with an RMK 700 best decision ever pipe can and a few other mods and I keep up with my buddies PRO.

Premium Features