• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Longshot...but has anyone dealt with knee brace and snowmobiling?

I
Jul 26, 2010
Rogers, MN
So this fall playing football, some chicken **** tackled me low and I tore my ACL, MCL and broke my femur. I already got my Femur fixed and the MCL. Im getting ACL surgery in hopefully early december. But its looking to interfere with snowmobiling this season. Ive heard about people snowmobiling with a knee brace during their recovery, but Im not sure how that would work. Would it go outside the snowpants, or inside the snowpants? Do they make a special one just for weight bearing (snowmobiling in Wyoming)? I would more than likely wait at least 3 months after my surgery until i hop on a snowmobile, but even then its still not even fully recovered (hence the brace)

I dont expect anyone to know, since this is a strangely particular topic. But if anyones had to deal with this, I would appreciate some feedback, possibly direction.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
I use high end CTI custom fitted carbon braces but I would not depend on them to keep you from re-injuring a repair that isn't fully healed .

I
Jul 26, 2010
Rogers, MN
thanks for the feedback. I understand that theres a very good chance of re injury so thats why I want to make sure I can bear some weight without the brace first, only doing what the ligament can do. The brace is just so I can take some weight off the knee, Im not expecting it to fully protect. I just wanna see what my options are and what gives me the best chance to go riding this year. Even if that means I gotta be careful and easy!

skierh2o

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Been there, Done that....it sucks!
In all honesty your 6-8 months out from feeling the most normal you will feel with maximum strength etc.
There's no do over on injuries only regrets.....let it heal right now and come back next year and enjoy it even more!

Now I ride with a brace all the time.... and yes it is in the way sometimes.....and I still know/feel it was injured everyday, but I still have a blast!

Skier

I
Jul 26, 2010
Rogers, MN
Yeah I suppose so. I still might do some gentle trail riding just to get somethin in this year, but i probably wont try any backcountry riding or hillclimbing/carving until next year. Like the CD trails are still pretty fun and I wouldnt be putting strain on my knee either.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
I dont think any one makes a weight bearing brace just side to side front to back with hyper extension stop , you might (depending on your DR ) get script for a high end brace mine were 2.500.00 each

I
Jul 26, 2010
Rogers, MN
I know of a type of knee brace that redistributes the weight in the leg so some of the weight will go more above the knee, therefore putting more weight into the hip. You wouldnt want to be wearing it all day obviously, but my cousin had one for when he went fourwheeling. But the one they gave me after my first surgery that was close to 1000 and thats the one im wearing now to walk around and stuff, and they told me it was a higher end brace with the locks and stuff

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
Check out Donjoy knee brace, I have No ACL and very little Meniscus in my right knee and it allows me to ride. Protects from lateral movement and hyper extension, you know when it works when it stops your knee from buckling inward with a bang! Wouldn't, probably couldn't ride without it, got lucky and found one on eBay that fits like a glove for less than $100, retails for $1,200. Good luck on your recovery.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
My riding partner and I both wear knees braces on both knees. I tore my MCL and meniscus in my right knee, can't ride without a brace. I use DonJoy playmaker braces.

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Mo Daaamage

I've blown my ACL, few years later MCL, then tore LCL few years after that. I have 60% of my meniscus removed, and I've since had a few "clean outs." Last January was my 5th surgery on my left knee. I was standing up from a sitting position and a loose bone fragment lodged in between my knee cap which locked my knee in a bent position for almost two weeks while I waited for surgery. That severely sucked. My original ACL damage was compounded by my denial of my injury and continuing to ride cause I couldn't bear to miss a pow day.

I ride with a custom DonJoy brace with a motocross shin guard cap, very comfortable brace. I wear it under all my gear, that way it doesn't slip on knee. I do lots of strength training to keep my muscles around my knee strong. Doc says my muscle strength is what stabilizes my knee now. My ACL graph is a little loose.

I'd listen to your doc, take time in your recovery, strengthen damn good, take physical therapy more than serious before you go out and do more damage just cause you don't wanna miss a pow day. I regret the stupidity and extra damage I did just cause I couldn't bear to miss a season of pow, ended up missing it anyways in a big way. I'm certainly going to have arthritis in my later years, some is already building. My only hope is serious advances in medical technology in the next 10 years.

Best luck and speedy recovery.

I
Jul 26, 2010
Rogers, MN
Sorry to hear about that! That doesn't sound too fun... And I kinda get a better picture now knowing that I'm not the first one to think this. It'll be interesting how this recovery process goes, just considering the goals of this winter I want to achieve. I just want to ride a couple times, which already hurts enough haha. But Ill definately raise this topic to my doctor and my Physical Therapist and see what they say. I guess if I had to miss this years shindig out west, theres always next year.

Thanks for the feedback and I hope all goes well for you in the near future!

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
BE VERY CAREFUL. By wearing one and pushing yourself before you're fully healed, you seriously run the risk of needing to wear on the rest of your life. If not immediately, definitely sooner than you would have had too by taking your time. It's not worth it. You're young and full of piss and vinegar. I get it. Good for you... but take it from the "been there, done that" crowd, in the long run you'll have many more years of good times if you stick with the recommended therapy and take the season off.

I ride with a prosthetic left foot and I'm an R.T.P.O. (Registered Technician Prosthetic Orthotic) or at least, I was while I could still work. I've beat the snot out of my body and pushed my limits all the time. When you ride the line all the time, you will occasionally drop off the other side. Now, at 45 I feel closer to 70.

I
Jul 26, 2010
Rogers, MN
BE VERY CAREFUL. By wearing one and pushing yourself before you're fully healed, you seriously run the risk of needing to wear on the rest of your life. If not immediately, definitely sooner than you would have had too by taking your time. It's not worth it. You're young and full of piss and vinegar. I get it. Good for you... but take it from the "been there, done that" crowd, in the long run you'll have many more years of good times if you stick with the recommended therapy and take the season off.

I ride with a prosthetic left foot and I'm an R.T.P.O. (Registered Technician Prosthetic Orthotic) or at least, I was while I could still work. I've beat the snot out of my body and pushed my limits all the time. When you ride the line all the time, you will occasionally drop off the other side. Now, at 45 I feel closer to 70.
Yeah I suppose that would be the most logical solution. As much as it blows there's still years ahead of me to go riding. I'm still gonna try to do as much physical therapy as I can within reason and see what my doc says come February and March.
Taking a year off wouldn't hurt either just to heal up since I've already beat the piss out of my other knee just from dirtbike wipeouts on the tar. Noting internal so I can at least say chicks dig scars right?

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
I race motocross in the summers, this is a list of some of the top brans

Alpine Star
Asterisk
EVS (my favorite)
Pod Mx

These Motocross brand knee braces will serve with top quaility protection.

Get ahold of shane at BlownMotor he probaly can get most of these brands for you.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
CTI BRACE!

I blew out my ACL, Ripped my meniscus and had a full reconstructive surgery on my left knee. Until I got my CTI brace i was unable to ride, with the brace i have full confidence in my knee again and I am a stronger rider. I has never hampered my ability to ride and has never failed me.

I absolutely love it.

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
I ran custom CTi2 knee braces when I raced snocross, got them through a sponsorship, but, ive heard you can get them through health insurance...

I wouldnt ever ride a snocross track without knee protection.

I
Jul 26, 2010
Rogers, MN
Ill definately look into those! There might be a chance that Ill look to get one of these even after im fully recovered. Everyone says my knee wont be the same, which is very understanding. I'd more than likely get one for when I go out to the Mountains, just so it has more stability if I were to fall off or hit something hard. And its more physically demanding than say groomed trails, so getting a "sports" brace would give me more insurance so the chances of me retearing my knee would be a lot less.

Thanks for the feedback!

Premium Features