• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Locktite on Y pipe bolts

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
Have a 2010 xp 800 and had my Y pipe bolts come loose. What are you guys using to hold them in, I took my Y pipe off last year to do some engine work and at the end of the season I found two of them came out. Thought about using blue locktite or a lock washer.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I've tried Loctite & nordlock washers without much success. A touch of ultra black on the threads works the best for me.

yep, nordlock with high temp silicon . And trick is always re torque after fist hard ride ,The gasket will compress after it becomes very hot,The later will make the difference.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I havnt seen the 10+ bolts coming loose like the older/smaller. Properly torqued they should stay tight without the usual tricks. Nordlocs worked for me in the past.

Limbo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 18, 2007
Another option is the "stage 8" locking fasteners http://www.stage8.com these do require decent access but I'm sure if someone has safety wired the bolts then these should be ok.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
Red or blue?

Have had good succss with Red and Nord-locs.

Neither red or blue worked for me. Neither did nord-locs. The only thing that worked for me was a tiny amount of ultra black silicone on the threads. The orange Threebond threadlock worked good, almost too good, I was concerned it would pull threads when removing.

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
Ive decided to use the ultra black silicone, I don't have access to the nordlock stuff and I have the ultra black.

Premium Features