• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lectron Carb - Test, Tune and Review

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Lectron Carb - Test, Tune and Review, KTM 330 SX

Hey everyone,

The folks at Lectron Fuel Systems have provided us with a couple 38MM Carbs for project builds, testing and review. There has been a lot of people shopping for alternatives to their OEM Keihin carburetors. I have personally been asked repeatedly about detailed info on this Carb. As we move through the over-view and into tuning and testing, I hope to answer a lot of those questions.

First off, It is a cast, vented, flat slide carburetor that utilizes a metering rod combined with a power jet to make up three individual fuel circuits. There is no jetting required. The first two circuits distribute fuel via the grind in the fuel rod. This rod has two separate grinds depicted by two numbers stamped onto the rod. The first number is relative to approximately 3/8 throttle through the rest of the stroke to wide open throttle. The second number is relative to the idle circuit and just off idle throttle response. The third circuit is the power jet that begins gradually applying fuel at approximately 5/8 throttle to wide open.

The way to look at these three is to break them down starting with idle, the second number on the metering rod, the idle circuit. Let's say for example we have a 3-2 metering rod. The smaller numbers are leaner and the larger numbers, richer. We first start and warm the engine up to operating temp. Once there, we adjust for idle. Once idle is set we can blip the throttle a few times and evaluate our idle circuit. If the slide height is high, ideal is about the thickness of a penny, if it is considerably higher than that we are probably a bit rich. An elevated slide to achieve idle indicates the need for "more air" to achieve the optimum AFR therefore we should consider a rod one step leaner on the second number. That same condition would also likely result in a sluggish response off idle. If the second number is too lean you will experience a very low slide height to get any idle. A paper thin slit for slide height. The off idle response would be a hollow , empty blaaaw, followed by erratic acceleration. You will also experience the inability for your bike to "settle down" after a couple rev's. It will be zingy and nervous not wanting to settle back to idle.

Again for example, lets say we have done that and idle is clean with a low slide height, and throttle response is quick and crisp. Our second number is set. It is "2". The first number comes into play just past quarter throttle. While riding, your idle and off bottom remain excellent, but you have that familiar mid range burble and lack of strong acceleration. That indicates a rich condition, you then need a metering rod with the first number being one number smaller. However, if your mid is clean, but "hollow" and lazy, you are likely lean and need one number bigger on that first number.

You now have your fuel metering rod. In this case, it's a 3-2. Now we can tune the wide open throttle fuel. The WOT position allows fuel to be drawn from the power jet supplementing fuel at WOT. You will notice in the picture of the slide 1/2 raised, it is at the bottom of the brass piccolo tube. The tube is approximately 1/2 way down the diameter from the top. The length of the tube determines "when" fuel is delivered, and the size of the power jet determines "how much". When the slide rises to the bottom of the tube, you start getting extra fuel. In this case it is approximately 1/2 throttle. As the slide rises to WOT the vacuum is drawing it's max flow of fuel.

You do not have to adjust the power jet piccolo tube length. They come pre set. Also the fuel rod and slide height come set for your application from the factory. They arrive real close to spot on. I don't want you to think you have a lot of tuning to do. This is simply an overview of the Carburetor and how it supplies fuel. They came pre set very close and minor tuning changes are a breeze.

Our Carb heat collar installed beautifully. I indexed the set screw at the 9 o'clock position. Notice the 3 o'clock position has a small hole in the bell of the carb. That hole is your choke circuit. You don't want to push in the wall outside that hole with the set screw.

Remember when tuning, always tune by doing plug checks and validating your readings with electronic aids like AFR or EGT sensors. If you are not comfortable doing it your self, there are a lot of people and resources to help get you dialed in.

Stay tuned. We will be following up with discussions and videos. The first test bed will be on the KTM 330 Mod Bike.

P1010006.JPG P1010009.JPG P1010010.JPG P1010011.JPG P1010013.JPG P1010014.JPG

Last edited:

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Any plans for putting one on a 500? It seems that's where the smart carb had most of its trouble compared to the 300.

Thanks for going through the testing and giving results though! I need to buy a carb soon and still not sure what direction I'm going.

Q

Quadracer37

Jan 7, 2015
I picked up a 38mm Lectron for my '15 ktm300 along with a cable for a thumb throtle back in October, have only rode with it on the dirt so far. I was blown by how much better the bike ran, had to slightly adj the idle and did notice it used less gas as well. The guys at Lectron are great to deal with. Just waiting on some snow now!

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
I have been running the XL 3-3 rod in mine for snow biking. This is what they recommended and it works great so far

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Any plans for putting one on a 500? It seems that's where the smart carb had most of its trouble compared to the 300.

Thanks for going through the testing and giving results though! I need to buy a carb soon and still not sure what direction I'm going.

What "trouble" was there wit the smart carb?

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Search, there's tons of info. I guess we should keep this topic lectron specific. Just curious how they do with the 500's is all. I'll be buying a carb in the next week maybe 2 so hopefully we get some more info in that time frame.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
needle tune

this lectron design and carb body has been around for 30 years or better.

in the past there were lots of delighted owners and unhappy tuners.
The reason: the design relies on NEEDLE SHAPE / TAPER / TAPERS to deliver fuel as your engine demands. 20 years ago the then company owners didn't have available the wide range and variety of needle options, those options are now available.

So back in the day while a 34 Lectron on my Yamaha 200 IT enduro bike was magic because they had dirt bike needles, we burned down a lot of big bore 700 cat twins running big Lectrons because we did not have rich enough low mid range needles to handle the gas one of those old twins like to suck. We ground our own needles but most didn't and went back to other stock carbs.

To date all the other needle tune carbs I have used and have in my junk box have suffered from this lack of needle selection. Blue Max, Edelbrock, Boswell, one needle fits all.........which tuners proved it doesn't.

The guys at Lectron have been spot on for needle selection for me the last couple of years, the good fuel delivery from the Lectron on my WR450 has knocked down some engine vibration with a wider power band and better throttle response.......all good so far.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
this lectron design and carb body has been around for 30 years or better.

I was chuckling earlier when reading this, everyone talking about Lectrons like they're new tech, lol.

My dad tried one on his big bore thumper TT500 back when I was in junior high school (I'm 51 now!), so yeah, they've been around a while.

I remember back in the day being very underwhelmed with the power output in spite of the ease of tuning provided by the carb.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt

Yes, planning on the install of a 40MM on a Service KX500 soon for testing on a big bore.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Yes, technology is constantly evolving. We also ran Lectrons on several different applications back in the 80's. They have evolved far from that time. The metering rods back then are not compatible now.

We will be testing and vid's on three popular bikes. The 300, 330 and 500 as soon as we get some decent snow.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Installation was a breeze on the 330. Thermostat, Avid Carb heater and plumbing, and my Frozen Boost / Boondocker Filter system. I am waiting for a couple of parts for this 330 hot rod, so I plan on making the initial tests with a slightly modded 300 XCW this weekend.

20151205_110134_resized.jpg 20151205_110109_resized.jpg 20151206_130649_resized.jpg 20151206_130453_resized.jpg 20151206_131214_resized.jpg

Last edited:

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
Welcome to the flat needle that works. I am running a 3-4 needle and it ran great at revy last weekend. I personally think the 40 loses to much low and midrange. Have a 38 on my ktm 300 and a 36 on my old gas gas we tried the cast smarty on. Too big of a carb mAY help wide open but suffers the lower end too much

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Welcome to the flat needle that works. I am running a 3-4 needle and it ran great at revy last weekend. I personally think the 40 loses to much low and midrange. Have a 38 on my ktm 300 and a 36 on my old gas gas we tried the cast smarty on. Too big of a carb mAY help wide open but suffers the lower end too much

Good point on carb size selection . In the past air flow tests showed that the unrestrictive throat of a Lectron would flow quite a bit more air than the round slide mikuni's, ice cream sandwich slide mikuni's and Keihin, because there is less air turbulence as the air passes under the slide past the needle.

I went from 40mm keihin to 36 Lectron on my KTM 200, I don't have concrete dyno proof of top end HP, but if feels as strong as ever while the small carb picked up more low and mid range. with a more seamless top to bottom power it feels stronger than it probably show on a dyno.

Riding my WR450 with a Lectron on sat at Lolo pass I was impressed with the top end pull, I'd been tuning on it all last winter and kind of lost track of how much better the fuel delivery must be at WOF with the Lectron.

Only issue so far on the WR, where to find a good twist throttle to open the 40mm carb with less than having to get another grab to open the carb all the way. Got Motion Pro right now, no quite right for the big carb.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey everybody. Quick update.

We finally have decent snow and are getting out. I should have the 330 hot rod on the snow later in the week.

We installed the Lectron 38 on a slightly modded 300XC and have ridden it hard for two days. With the 3/3 metering rod, it starts, Idles and runs flawlessly. The difficult times like WOT in a climb followed by an immediate throttle chop to zero and a down hill turn were trouble free. It would settle to an idle and "purr" waiting for the next blast.

Long stretches of WOT in 3 feet of pow were consistent and strong.

Excellent in every way so far. The initial tune is very simple simple simple. Even folks who are a little nervous about tuning can rest easy. We only made one adjustment, 1/2 turn lean of the metering rod and haven't touched it sense. It will likely not be touched again all season. Just "Gas and go"!

I am excited to post some vid soon covering the basic starting and Idling to mashing the gas and pushing it.

Thanks

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Good to hear. My 40 came in last week but waiting on other parts to finish the build. I'm getting very excited to get this thing on the snow though! One of the reasons I tried it was for the simplicity, glad you found it to be simple as well.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
the 44 gained me 4-5hp thru the whole rpm range on my kx500. this is vs. a bored PWK which is around 40.5mm.

its not boggy at all either.

i do have a better pipe, engine work and timing cranked way up. 44 might be too large on a stocker but not sure.

on dyno mine was best at 5.2xl @2.044 with the PJ 0.75 turns out. in the hills i run the 6.3xp @ 2.079 to try to get rid of a little mid range tick from my timing being advanced quite a ways. i might go back to 5.2 rod with some more octane.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
kicking up cool

one feature of the current Lectron's that I like is the fuel you can add with the Power Jet ( Mikuni term).

by actual testing on my two strokes it adds fuel from bottom to top eventhough the idea is to have the biggest impact from 3/4 to WOT and that is the case with the supplied tube length.

The next cool addition would be an external cable to adjust this jet on the fly or at least anytime you stopped at 10,000 ft or hot spring day riding etc, cutting a little fuel would be great, or adding some when its -15.

So any one out there know of a good cable setup that would allow some remote tuning/ needle twisting. On my wr450 after hoses for carb heat, big tank, neopreme carb jacket, primer mount, I can't get to that needle without a 15 minute pit stop and ten tools out.

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
Randy try the 4-3 needle and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the better torgue you feel when wicking the throttle. I noticed a better throttle responce with the q5 over the q11 last year and the 3-4 or 4-3, sorry don't remember, was like having a bigger accelerater pump on the twist of the throttle. Milage is still great also. For those that are still running the smarty I have a powerjet still new in the box for sale to make your smarty not over temp at wide open....garry

Premium Features