• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lectron Carb - Test, Tune and Review

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
TESTED AND TOONED

TESTED AND TOONED MY WR450 LECTRON snow bike again this week.

down to slightly rich in bottom but starts GREAT, leaned it before the ride today but now bouncing back and forth between the needle set options, so will tweak the POWER JET down a little next ride,

Float needle sticks occasionally............not good, I need to call texas for suggestions, guess I coud rob another out of the Lectron junk pile in the shop, just should'd have a sticky float.

made a remote cable adjuster for the POWDER JET because I can't otherwise reach it without tank and seat removal, soldered joint slippep where the speedo cable is inside the needle,.....the spring on the needle is just real stiff, work in progress.

why settle for anything less than absolute perfection.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey everyone,

I have had a break in the action and finally have the completion of my testing and review of the Lectron 38MM Carb on the modded KTM 330 SX. Lectron has produced an excellent product. In these "worst conditions", powder snow, cold temps, high elevation, Mod Engine, etc..., It has performed flawlessly. You will see it starts, Idles all day, and screams when asked for every time. Lectron Carbs are a proven reliable performer for me in my testing. They are "SIMPLE" and no fiddling required. They are a Carb for the non tuner. They perform flawlessly and you never have to touch it after your initial tune.

Thank you Kevin and the folks at Lectron Fuel Systems for the opportunity to test your Carb and put it through the paces. More to come.....

Thanks again everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXJ6SQRaBvA

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
goofy little issues

we haul our snowbikes in the back of a pickup on angled ramps, and they slide off nicely when we unload.

Most of Dec and Jan when I slid my snowbike off the ramp to start it the float was stuck. A tap with screwdriver and it was ok, ran all day no issues and started great. Talked to Kevin at Lectron about it and he sent me a new needle and seat $50 no charge in case it was a defect .

When I pulled the float bowl to replace the needle and seat I had typical red goo / some hard red flakes of bad gas in the bottom of my float bowl. What impressed me was, engine never skipped a beat. There was enough crap in there to totally stop up the main jet AND pilot jet on a standard Keihin or Mikuni guaranteed. When you look at the size of the hole in the bottom of the LECTRON it would take a dead chicken in the float bowl to plug the main fuel feed.

Another advantage of the Lectron in this respect is the POWER JET pulling out of the bottom of the float bowl sucks any water that collects there and sprays it right out the Power Jet jet...........so a little octane boost maybe when you need it most, water injection, the big issue is on two strokes where at high rpm on a long climb with a KEIHIN the main jet really starts sucking hard and it will suck standing water out of the float bowl when you really need good gas. Lots of sleds have had small seizures on climbs because of this water issue.

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
we haul our snowbikes in the back of a pickup on angled ramps, and they slide off nicely when we unload.

Most of Dec and Jan when I slid my snowbike off the ramp to start it the float was stuck. A tap with screwdriver and it was ok, ran all day no issues and started great. Talked to Kevin at Lectron about it and he sent me a new needle and seat $50 no charge in case it was a defect .

When I pulled the float bowl to replace the needle and seat I had typical red goo / some hard red flakes of bad gas in the bottom of my float bowl. What impressed me was, engine never skipped a beat. There was enough crap in there to totally stop up the main jet AND pilot jet on a standard Keihin or Mikuni guaranteed. When you look at the size of the hole in the bottom of the LECTRON it would take a dead chicken in the float bowl to plug the main fuel feed.

Another advantage of the Lectron in this respect is the POWER JET pulling out of the bottom of the float bowl sucks any water that collects there and sprays it right out the Power Jet jet...........so a little octane boost maybe when you need it most, water injection, the big issue is on two strokes where at high rpm on a long climb with a KEIHIN the main jet really starts sucking hard and it will suck standing water out of the float bowl when you really need good gas. Lots of sleds have had small seizures on climbs because of this water issue.

Not sure I get your point, you say sled seize because of the keihin sucking water and then you say that it's good because the Lectron sucks the water.

Interested in the Lectron stuff, tho.

M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
On the Keihin it will not pull water through the main jet and will stop the fuel flow therefore siezing it. I'm pretty sure that's what he's talking about. I've been fighting water in the carb on the stock 300, same problem.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
LECTRON SUCK

Not sure I get your point, you say sled seize because of the keihin sucking water and then you say that it's good because the Lectron sucks the water.

Interested in the Lectron stuff, tho.

The lectron with the " power jet" constantly feeding off the bottom of the float bowl where water can accumulate, feeds any minute bit of water through the power jet as fast as any sifts down ther, so no significant amount of water can ever collect in the bottom of the Lectron bowl.

The Keihin/ Mikuni on the other hand can and will collect a significant amount of water in the bottom of the float bowl, depending upon the gas you use. So , say the hollow drain cap on the bottom of the Keihin bowl is full of water after 2 or three rides, you decide to blast up a hill WOT, with the engine at full song for 3 minutes you can easily suck on the bottom of the water bottom float bowl on a Keihin and have a big hic up under full load WOT when the water goes through the main jet which will almost always result is some measure of piston damage even if its not a full seizure.

Around most of the WEST they put so much alcohol in the fuel. even the non oxegonenated fuel that water issues in fuel are not the problem it was 20 years ago.

lancelarue

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Valdez, Alaska
Intellijet from Thunder Products. Screws down into same hole / threads. Might have to have some light machining done for clearance on carb. You can choose the depth you want the tube to be in the carb, be it 3/4 throttle, or machine more to lower it.
Knob right on handlebars or wherever/ ("says rich / lean on the knob") Can't get any better>>>>>>>>>>>>

Premium Features