• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM Stators

D
Jun 30, 2021
Duluth, MN
Bike is a 2012 KTM 300XC with electric start. Tore case open when the chain snapped a couple weeks ago. Got a new used motor and I have to overcome some electrical differences. The new motor is a 2004 as best I can tell. It is a non electric start model so I can't just swap stators and covers because the case is different. I'm trying to figure out the best way to overcome the differences. Any thoughts? Can I put a non electric start 2012 stator and cover on it and call it good? Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year!

E
Dec 19, 2007
I'm guessing there is a good chance you're stator will work but the fly wheel is inside out on the old motor. so you will need the fw, and cover for sure and also the adjustable stator plate that bolts to the engine. I probably have a 2k3 flywheel/cover and a stator/plate but the stator is bad. I'll have to check monday when I get back.

D
Jun 30, 2021
Duluth, MN
I'm guessing there is a good chance you're stator will work but the fly wheel is inside out on the old motor. so you will need the fw, and cover for sure and also the adjustable stator plate that bolts to the engine. I probably have a 2k3 flywheel/cover and a stator/plate but the stator is bad. I'll have to check monday when I get back.
Sounds good. Appreciate you looking. So I would need the wiring harness to go from the leads on the stator to the CDI box correct? Is the other alternative to get a CDI box from a 2004 and just run the 2k1?

D
Jun 30, 2021
Duluth, MN
Another hurdle, the donor motor is a 250. Can I swap the top end from my 300 onto the 250 bottom end? Top end is 2012, bottom is 2004. I know this is a super common conversion, but I didn’t know if that year gap would be an issue.

BendBrapp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2015
Baja Designs rewinds stators. I had them do my 2017 450sxf years ago when no others were available at the time.

E
Dec 19, 2007
The cylinders will swap fine from 04 to 16 250 or 300. Any cdi will work if you don't have the right connector just splice matched colors from stator to cdi.
This is all I have. The stator on the left is the stock 2k3 130ish watts with its mounting plate and is about 85mm diameter. The coils are bad and I don't have a flywheel or cover.
The ones on the right are 2k2 and 2k1 stators and don't fit the 2k3 mounting plate. my guess is your e start stator is big like the 2k3 so it might fit my plate if you want to make some measurements on yours then I can confirm. But you will still need a flywheel and cover. Any 04-07 cover should work except the 03-04sx had a really tiny flywheel and tiny cover

DSC_1049.JPG

D
Jun 30, 2021
Duluth, MN
The cylinders will swap fine from 04 to 16 250 or 300. Any cdi will work if you don't have the right connector just splice matched colors from stator to cdi.
This is all I have. The stator on the left is the stock 2k3 130ish watts with its mounting plate and is about 85mm diameter. The coils are bad and I don't have a flywheel or cover.
The ones on the right are 2k2 and 2k1 stators and don't fit the 2k3 mounting plate. my guess is your e start stator is big like the 2k3 so it might fit my plate if you want to make some measurements on yours then I can confirm. But you will still need a flywheel and cover. Any 04-07 cover should work except the 03-04sx had a really tiny flywheel and tiny cover
Thanks for the quick response! So I checked with Jeff Slaven and he said those cylinders will not swap. I found a CDI box that will work with the stock 250 stator. I think for the time being I’m gonna put it together with the stock stator and that CDI box and see how it goes. The annoying part (funny to say at this point) is that my pipe won’t fit because it contacts the cylinder. I have a backup pipe I might try to bend a little for some clearance. Just want this thing together and running. Last snowbike season sucked and I don’t want to blow this one too. Thanks again, and I’ll be in touch.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I don't want to be the guy to disagree with slavens but the base gaskets, pistons and rods are the same 04 to16. The castings changed and got lighter and possibly different porting but if you already have the 300 cylinder why not stick it on there? If the piston comes to the top of the bore and the pv link hooks up what else would matter? The head stays might be off on the old to new head designs? And base studs were longer on the older blocks. Let us know.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I don't want to be the guy to disagree with slavens but the base gaskets, pistons and rods are the same 04 to16. The castings changed and got lighter and possibly different porting but if you already have the 300 cylinder why not stick it on there? If the piston comes to the top of the bore and the pv link hooks up what else would matter? The head stays might be off on the old to new head designs? And base studs were longer on the older blocks. Let us know.
Just thinking more on the slavens comment. He might be right. the old cylinders were really bulky castings on the outside and will probably hit the starter motor (and obviously the pipe) on the new engines but going backwards should work. I'm still curious.

D
Jun 30, 2021
Duluth, MN
4D7CFD79-F04B-4B13-B1EF-7E8B3B721EE9.jpeg
300 cylinder on the 250 case. Seems like a go. The boot on the 250 case is circular, where on the 300 case it squares up on the motor side. I swapped o rings between cases and it seems like the cover slides over nicely. I still have to swap pistons so I can check deck height but for now I’m feeling good about it.

D
Jun 30, 2021
Duluth, MN
Status update. I've had multiple kids quarantined at home for the last month. Little enough that I can't just put a screen in their hands and go to the garage. Anyways. 300 top end seems to be a go on the 250 case. Next up was the mismatched ignition systems. I found a place that makes CDI boxes so I bought one for a 2004 SX. I had no idea how this was gonna go but I was able to just plug into the similar colored wires and I'll be damned this thing is alive. I'm very nervous for the first test ride considering how my luck has been. Got everything buttoned up and used a ratchet strap to lift the track up. Did a running spin test and all seems good. Chain is much happier with the 12 tooth drive sprocket. Snow levels around here aren't spectacular but it sounds like the north shore is doing pretty good. Assuming this thing holds together I might still be able to salvage a little bit of a riding season. Holy **** this has been a train wreck. I'll let you know how the first ride goes. Fingers crossed!

Premium Features