• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Knee dislocation and riding

M
Feb 11, 2019
B.C. Canada
Just wondering if anyone out there has had a patellar sublaxation(knee cap dislocation)? I had this happen to me at the end of the season, it's now been 5 months since my injury and still recovering(mostly just building muscle back up) but I am very worried about re-injury if I continue riding next season... just wanted to hear other people's success/failures with sledding and this type of injury... I plan to use a brace at all times of course, but is it going to be enough? are my mountain riding days over?

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
BTDT !! 15 miles in Shyt Creek . Somewhere past 120 degrees according to X Rays .. .. ?
Don't skimp recovery / therapy. . . . Braces ALWAYS.
Learned the hard way...$$$ 6 years later still riding!!!

W
Dec 7, 2017
Silt, CO
Hang in there, keep positive. You'll ride the way you want to again, but it'll take time. I dislocated my right kneecap, cracked it, tore the ligament, and hyperextension. (Caught a ski on a tree, smashed into the console, then flipped over the front). The first season after was tough, lots of soreness, limitations, I did a lot of left hand turns to go right. Second was better, by the third it was an afterthought. Wear the brace, pick up a pair of knee/shin guards, even the subtle taps against that kneecap hurt like hell. Some plastic protection in between helps. Once you can ditch the brace, KT tape is a great way to keep the kneecap tracking straight.

It took three years to get that knee back into good riding shape, last February I tore the acl, mcl, and meniscus on the other leg, so now I get to start over on the other side. lol

M
Feb 11, 2019
B.C. Canada
Dam man, well it's good to see someone else eventually got back to their normal riding style, I ride pretty hard and would hate to not be able to get things back to normal, mine was not ad bad as your injury, grade 1 tear of the mpfl, no other ligaments damaged, meniscus undamaged, but I did bust a chunk of my patella cartilage off, so I know I'll be feeling that pain for life... It's getting there, just takes time I know, guess I'll find out my limitations in a few months!

Just curious, what kind of brace did you use while riding? I'm also trying to find something maybe a bit more supportive than what I've currently got

Premium Features