• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Khaos 165 2.75 Shock Settings

R
Nov 24, 2014
Hey All,

First of I would like to say that I know what a Khaos is for, I know they are supposed to be less technical than a pro. My buddy bought a 165 2.75 this year and tossed it in my shop. It is super fun and very playful but sadly may not be what he needs in the technical stuff (which ironically we ride all the time and is his favorite) He doesn't live near me and flys out when he has time to ride so I am tasked with tuning this thing so it handles "better" him.

My question is do any of you guys have settings or some ideas of how to bring the Khaos back to the Pro side of the house? Specifically for the skid.

Will tightening the rear track shock really help? I find that the main difference is in the technical up hill from down hill turns its really sensitive or is that simply that rail profile?

Anyone screw with the limiter strap?

I think I have the front shocks figured out. but the main challenge is that it just wants to wash out. Its super fun! Don't get me wrong but doing returns and hop overs isn't really what my buddy enjoys and even if I can get this thing set up better for his style of riding we always can go back to the fun settings for those days.

I really appreciate all the feedback in advance. This may help me if I go from a pro to a Khaos next year.

S
Mar 12, 2008
Hermiston OR
Think Brett T is on point helping with setup here. I currently ride 165 g4 summit. Spent couple days on 155 khaos and going to switch. What a fun sled. I was on the fence with 155 or 165 length but after seeing this and watching his other videos I am going 165. Can’t wait for snow check season. Hope this is helpful for u and ur buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R
Nov 24, 2014
I love the sled, I rode it right from the factory and I could feel its potential but being its not my sled I didn't tune it for our riding style. Now that he has four or five days on it he isn't happy so now I get the chance to get this thing dialed in.

I love the Pro for 80 percent of my riding but when Im with people that dont wanna ride into the steep and deep it would be nice to get the Khaos and thats what I personally am on the fence for next year.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I guess I'm no help because I'm trying to go the other way. I think most of the kaos is gone in the 165. I haven't rode a 155 kaos but videos look fun as hell. There is nothig it won't play on. Not trying to be a jerk but I'm going to say pilot error. Mine is my wife's sled but i want more playful. I went full soft on rear and full stiff on fts. Haven't rode it to see where it goes from there. You will want the opposite of that

R
Nov 24, 2014
I guess I'm no help because I'm trying to go the other way. I think most of the kaos is gone in the 165. I haven't rode a 155 kaos but videos look fun as hell. There is nothig it won't play on. Not trying to be a jerk but I'm going to say pilot error. Mine is my wife's sled but i want more playful. I went full soft on rear and full stiff on fts. Haven't rode it to see where it goes from there. You will want the opposite of that
No offense taken, Im a pretty advanced rider. My preferred terrain is steep nasty trees, drainages and sections that require long steep pulls with pinch points that you have to be precise about. I have a pro 163 850 that i have ridden the same line back to back with the Khaos and the difference is noticeable. In the same way i can be on the same sidehill with the Khaos at 9800 feet and pull a hop over, you cant really do that on a 163 pro unless its perfect terrain conditions etc. I ride a pro because that's my riding style. problem is is half our friends love that stuff half don't and when we are on a big open slope doing returns and hop overs and what ever loopy crap you can come up with the pro isnt the sled even with the suspension loose. Now I have not done anything other than ride the Khaos and the shocks are all way loose. I just thought somewhere there may be a guy that has to settings they use for when they want to whip a sled all over and when they want to get stuff done period.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I like the same stuff as you but i do like it on the verge of out of control. I actually have an alpha 154 for that. Some stuff depends on condtions with it. I feel like the 165 kaos is really precise. I guess anything would after riding my alpha. My all time gripe with polaris was they aren't near as fun in some stuff and the 165 kaos seems the same. I always liked the shorter sleds. You have to ride them harder but its more fun to me.

R
Nov 24, 2014
I like the same stuff as you but i do like it on the verge of out of control. I actually have an alpha 154 for that. Some stuff depends on condtions with it. I feel like the 165 kaos is really precise. I guess anything would after riding my alpha. My all time gripe with polaris was they aren't near as fun in some stuff and the 165 kaos seems the same. I always liked the shorter sleds. You have to ride them harder but its more fun to me.
Oh I agree. I wish I could have a 155 and a a 163. One of my riding buddies is on a 165 alpha and its no where like a pro, but ironically not as nibble as the 165 khaos. I myself do not like surprises from my sleds lol I like to initiate them lol. I think if I figure this Khaos out we could have two settings and help with the not having two sleds thing.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I would just loosen your high speed on front and stiffen it on back. I don't think your low speed does much in powder compared to the red one. Maybe im wrong. Not going to get all of it out. Some is the rail profile or approach angle. That is why doo were more fun in some stuff but they also wheelie out of control and trench compared to a pro. There is nothing that beats a pro on really steep stuff in the trees. I think people will run out of talent before the 165 kaos does.

R
Nov 24, 2014
I would just loosen your high speed on front and stiffen it on back. I don't think your low speed does much in powder compared to the red one. Maybe im wrong. Not going to get all of it out. Some is the rail profile or approach angle. That is why doo were more fun in some stuff but they also wheelie out of control and trench compared to a pro. There is nothing that beats a pro on really steep stuff in the trees. I think people will run out of talent before the 165 kaos does.
Thanks, thats kinda were im going to start. I think it will be my next sled in what ever maytrx stlye chassis poo comes out with. IT is nuts how this thing handles though you can turn it on a dime.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
For what it is worth. My Khaos feels more planted compared to my buddy's and my sled has the skid shock cranked up more than his. All else appears equal. There must be something we are missing such as track tension collapsing suspension some?? Anyway just so others know if you are taking advice from others you need to be sure you are in tune to all the little things that can effect your ride. These things are super sensitive to small set-up changes.

R
Nov 24, 2014
For what it is worth. My Khaos feels more planted compared to my buddy's and my sled has the skid shock cranked up more than his. All else appears equal. There must be something we are missing such as track tension collapsing suspension some?? Anyway just so others know if you are taking advice from others you need to be sure you are in tune to all the little things that can effect your ride. These things are super sensitive to small set-up changes.
What your saying makes sense. Its a pandoras box of things that can skew your set up. Asking advice is tough, last year we had a pro 155 with a 163 skid and the fox iQS shocks all around. The hottest setup "you can have". To get those shocks to work was a nightmare. I called BBA and spoke directly to Chris and he walked us thru set up still never got it to work and actually made it worse. Needless to say it took alot of screwing around to get the performance you expect out of a 4k+ or what ever they cost set up. I feel the same way about this new Khaos, out of the box its the most capable sled for just about everything you want to do, but with most people on 155s and the suspension coming from the factory all the way lose I have no were to start. I figured it would be best to get the sled set up as close to the PRO as possible then bring it back to the Khaos to find that balance.

Right now Im going to stiffen rear pre load set high speed at 6 low speed at 12, the front track shock move the high speed to 1 low speed to 7 then add just a smige of pre load to the spring. Its the opposite of where it was and then work it back.

Disclaimer: the owner of this sled should have bought a pro. I know.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
The way I understand it, the hot set up is rmk length front shock and limiter strap with a stiffer spring on rear shock. Rode with a few mtn khaos setups that absolutely own it! What I witnessed went against everything I had read

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Premium Features