• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

keeping an edge chassie on edge help needed

A
Dec 1, 2012
Plain, WA.
Ok first ride of the year found some good powder to play in my only problem is keeping my 02 rmk on edge I can roll it over fine with a counter steer and a little thottle but cant seem to keep it there any tips would be great. ( other than get s new sled thats not gonns happen any time soon)

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Practice is the first thing. Hold the counter steer once it is up and keep leaning and stay on the throttle. If a little powder Is a foot of soft snow it will be difficult. 2' of snow is a whole nuther thing.
Also make sure skis are set to narrow position and cut loose the sway bar.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
My guess is that you aren't counter steering hard enough. Keep the throttle steady and once you have your weight over, start to countersteer until you feel it roll under you. Find the angle you want then ride it.

A
Dec 1, 2012
Plain, WA.
Practice is the first thing. Hold the counter steer once it is up and keep leaning and stay on the throttle. If a little powder Is a foot of soft snow it will be difficult. 2' of snow is a whole nuther thing.
Also make sure skis are set to narrow position and cut loose the sway bar.

Thanks for the help guys AZ I did narrow my skis this summer and cut my swaybar but I had it in yesterday tring out a quick disconnect I made for each side they didn't work lost one side on thectrail comin in so ill just take it out completly. So if any of you are out fish lk. Way and you see a 03 rmk no winsshield strugeling on the hillside or buried that'd be me stop by say hi help a brother dig out lol thanks again BRAP

C
Dec 24, 2014
That is a heavy sled with a low, wide center of gravity. Park it next to a new sled and stand on both. That is the first obstacle, it is going to take much more input to make the same moves.

The biggest mistake I see guys making is not using enough throttle. They throw their weight into it but don't throttle up and drop the track. The edge is really heavy up front which is not ideal. The trick to really throwing it around is to have the skis un-wieghted. That means full throttle, spinning track. The edge will take a lot of counter steering, body english and throttle input to make it dance.

That is the sled I learned on though, '02 RMK 800 151. I bought two of them brand new back in Minnesota when I was a flatlander getting ready to go west. Great sleds, great power!

Keep at it and you will get it. Proof that the old sled can run with the new ones...

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
I agree, practice. That is what I used to ride and it can be done but it seems the window of (Balance on edge+track in the snow= side hilling) is very small. Always took me more upper body power than my buddies needed on newer sleds. But after some seat time I got pretty darn good at it.

C
Dec 24, 2014
narrow the front end then narrow it some more. it works great on my 03

Well... if you go too far I don't think you are helping yourself anymore. The skis on the edge are about the same width as the belly pan/hood. If you bring the stance in too far the sled just rolls onto the body work and you are dragging in the snow.

No matter what you do, it will never handle like the new sleds. The only real way to make up for it is some finesse and a fair amount of muscle. Personally I would dump the edge and find an M7 or M8 cheap. With those, you stand a much better chance of making the moves you desire.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
One thing that I have to keep reminding myself about is, when standing on the running board put your heel out! Wether it is both feet on the same side or wrong foot forward, I found it makes a big difference on what leverage you get.

RS

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
That whole chassis sucks for today's style of riding. It was built to be wide and stable and it is. I learned to carve on one too. It just takes a lot of effort. Drop back to the Gen II chassis or go forward to the IQ. Those sidehiller II skis stink too. I swap everything out to the Gripper skis. I like to think of it as riding a wheelie on a bicycle. The counter steer gets the wheelie started then balance keeps it there. You can learn to do it on any sled its just easier on some.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Forklift?

Should stay up. ;)

Practice
Gain wieght
Commit!!!!!!

Spend umpteen thousand dollars on mods. :)
(Kidding)

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
I am still riding my edge mod too my friend, lots of body work counter steer and throttle... they are a P.I.A. to keep on edge but once you master it your set practice it a ton! and what I do Is countersteer lean and as I am grabbing the throttle give one good hard bounce on the running board to make the track dig in(READ: bounce not jump they not that heavy feet should stay on the boards during bounce maneuver:face-icon-small-hap lol) Oh and one other thing....... once you master this maneuver you will barrel roll a newer sled when you first try to bring it on edge ( I tryed out my friends brand new dragon a few years ago tried bringing it on edge like one does with the edge chassis..... whoop and she was tipped over...lol)

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Thanks for the help guys AZ I did narrow my skis this summer and cut my swaybar but I had it in yesterday tring out a quick disconnect I made for each side they didn't work lost one side on thectrail comin in so ill just take it out completly. So if any of you are out fish lk. Way and you see a 03 rmk no winsshield strugeling on the hillside or buried that'd be me stop by say hi help a brother dig out lol thanks again BRAP

No problem. Have fun with it. Those are good machines and it ain't the sled that makes the rider, it's the other way around! Hope to see you up there
Black n white pro or blue Yami mountain horse.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
To the OP, not sure if you have a riser on your sled, but if you're hunched over, butt stickin' out, you'll have a really hard time keeping it on edge. You need to have your waist up toward the bars, standing tall, wrong foot forward with heel sticking off the board and looking up at your line. If you're bent over or looking at the front of your sled, you won't be able to keep it on edge.

Premium Features