• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island Park Snow conditions 07/08

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
Slide City

Just got back from Jefferson, Snow was pretty good found alot of soft freshies. But ............... Tons of Avalanches. None were man made from what we could see, but at one point we could see 8 to 10 dif. avys.Anyone thats planning on riding this area, have all your avy gear and be smart ie. "no hold my beer and watch this" moments. If you don't know the terrain and where the bad spots are stay out. go to two top or Black bear.

S

sldgy

Just got back from Jefferson, Snow was pretty good found alot of soft freshies. But ............... Tons of Avalanches. None were man made from what we could see, but at one point we could see 8 to 10 dif. avys.Anyone thats planning on riding this area, have all your avy gear and be smart ie. "no hold my beer and watch this" moments. If you don't know the terrain and where the bad spots are stay out. go to two top or Black bear.

What fun is that?;)

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
We will be down there 29th through the 2cnd, rented a cabin on Bobs Island. 15 of us going down and it will be all of ours first time riding Island parkl. any suggestions or what directions to head would be appreciated. thanks

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I suspect that you mean Bills Island. You can literally go in almost any direction from that location and ride, just depends on what you are looking for. Get a map of IP and you can see that there is riding over a huge area. You have huge meadows around you as well as Jefferson and about everything in between.

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
right Bills island, We usually ride west for new years and spend most of the time in lionshead area,denny creek. i checked out the little map online, got some ideas.
thanks

D
Nov 27, 2007
Star , Id
riding tips

It will be our first trip there. We are going on Jan. 18 thru the 22 . We have about 5 guys going with a couple of turbos . I just wanted to know the do's and the don'ts . We're renting a cabin close to mt. jefferson. I 've been hearing so far that this is a good place to ride . Any info out there would be great . We have no clue where to go from that point . Thanks !!:eek:

You got a great spot for riding. Jefferson is full of various riding opportunities, anywhere from beginner to as challenging as you want. The key to Jefferson is understanding avalanches, knowing what makes up the components of an avalanche and what triggers it. Once you know that you can know what to look for and stay the **** out.

Around Jefferson there are several different sub areas, you have the keg springs area close to jefferson as well as blue creek and sawtelle areas to name a few. These areas are easiest to get to coming from elk creek area out to shotgun, that takes you to the blue creek parking lot.

Coming from west yellowstone, there by henry's lake you can access other riding areas part of the 'jefferson' area called gobbler's knob and bootjack to name a few.

There are crazy amounts of areas to go all within a few miles of just about any cabin. You will enjoy the palooza of areas to ride in.

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
we were up to palisades yesterday and had pretty good snow, but a couple of the guys said that ip had three times as much snow. how much snow does ip really have?:confused:

Ya gotta remember. IP is full of fishermen...so 8 inches = a foot, a foot = a foot & 1/2. You get the idea.

I talked to a guy at IP Village Resort who said they "had 5 feet" :eek:. I'm sure they do, somewhere. In a pile or in a drift.

The good news is they seem to have better snow than same time last year and they keep getting more.

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Is anybody actually riding IP? Usually we get daily reports from peeps on conditions, locations, etc. Would really like to know how the snow is west of Hwy 20 (Raes, Keg Springs, Sheridan, etc). Thanks

2007dragonman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
South dakota
Island park

Does anybody have any recent pics from the west yellowstone or Island Park. We plan on coming out Jan 4th to the 7th and we are 750 miles away and havent heard much if it is that great right now. We have been there 3 times so far and had a great time Thanks guys.

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
Rode today over by Jefferson. About 18 inches new.Snow was deeper in the trees. It was awesome snow. Never saw or hit any rocks. Great Ride alot more snow this year than last year at this time. Great Day

P
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls
Just got back from IP. Snow was good for this time of the year. We shoveled 44" off the snow roof - 1st shovel of the year.

We rode mostly meadows by the res and up to Blue Ck cuz Dad was with us (he's 78). He's on a 900 fusion w/a 2" track.

Never hit any rocks but the crowds were really pickin up. It'll be better next weekend.

C

cda301

Dec 27, 2007
west and Island Park

Coming to west 2nd week of Feb. Will be staying at new worldmark condos. Is it possible to ride from west to island park area or better to trailer. Been to west before and done the park thing, will have a newbie with us , so any input is appreciated

T

tgoodwin

Dec 6, 2007
Blackfoot
cda301

You can ride from west into I.P. Fastest way is over two top, it's a groomed trail that anyone can ride, usually pretty bumpy though. I would suggest that ride though, take Black Canyon, or Powerline and you'll find enough riding to keep you busy all day. The only way I'd trailer if I were in West is if I were going to Jefferson, which is past I.P. res. Though if you have a rookie with you I would not go to Jefferson.

Premium Features