• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is troy ounce silver a good investment?

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
I have bought stuff at apmex https://www.apmex.com/ No experience anywhere else.

Just my opinion and opinion of most financial people but gold and silver isn’t really a good “investment” its more of a hedge or store of $.

If worried about a major US economic collapse Id invest more into better things to barter or use like bullets and food. If worried that currency is going to go to absolute **** then the rest of society is going to go with it and those things will be of better use and trade than a chest full of gold.

That said I do have a bit as a hedge and to diversify a bit instead of just cash in the bank. Shiny stuff has never been worthless. I have some 90% silver quarters and dimes, and silver round bullion

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
I have bought stuff at apmex https://www.apmex.com/ No experience anywhere else.

Just my opinion and opinion of most financial people but gold and silver isn’t really a good “investment” its more of a hedge or store of $.

If worried about a major US economic collapse Id invest more into better things to barter or use like bullets and food. If worried that currency is going to go to absolute **** then the rest of society is going to go with it and those things will be of better use and trade than a chest full of gold.

That said I do have a bit as a hedge and to diversify a bit instead of just cash in the bank. Shiny stuff has never been worthless. I have some 90% silver quarters and dimes, and silver round bullion
That is a great answer!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Is it worth putting a couple of bucks into silver?

Where is a good place to buy it online?
Having SOME portion of your savings in Precious Metals is a very reasonable and prudent thing to do.
Physical Gold and Silver are good stores of value, but often times poor investments.
They hold their value over time, but frequently fail to Increase in value relative to the overall economic environment.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
They say no more than 10% of portfolio in gold and silver. It’s more of a hedge than an investmen. It keeps up with inflation. Www.Bordergold.ca for purchasing.
Recommend to get 1oz rounds, new. You can sell them in small quantities and avoid taxes.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
They say no more than 10% of portfolio in gold and silver. It’s more of a hedge than an investmen. It keeps up with inflation. Www.Bordergold.ca for purchasing.
Recommend to get 1oz rounds, new. You can sell them in small quantities and avoid taxes.
Cheapest Silver will be generic 1oz Rounds.
Most tradable/resellable will be US Silver Eagles.

I’ve been talking with my partner about putting some of our savings into gold and silver – or other materials that will likely hold their value no matter what the stock market does and no matter what happens to US currency. Ideally we’d have some small pieces/coins easily accessible in case SHTF. Anyone do this or have suggestions for how to get started? Good resources to check out? Reputable sellers, etc.? I’m starting with very little knowledge.

I’ve been talking with my partner about putting some of our savings into gold and silver – or other materials that will likely hold their value no matter what the stock market does and no matter what happens to US currency. Ideally we’d have some small pieces/coins easily accessible in case SHTF ira investing. Anyone do this or have suggestions for how to get started? Good resources to check out? Reputable sellers, etc.? I’m starting with very little knowledge.
thanks for any help

I’ve been talking with my partner about putting some of our savings into gold and silver – or other materials that will likely hold their value no matter what the stock market does and no matter what happens to US currency. Ideally we’d have some small pieces/coins easily accessible in case SHTF. Anyone do this or have suggestions for how to get started? Good resources to check out? Reputable sellers, etc.? I’m starting with very little knowledge.
no response to this

I’ve been talking with my partner about putting some of our savings into gold and silver – or other materials that will likely hold their value no matter what the stock market does and no matter what happens to US currency. Ideally we’d have some small pieces/coins easily accessible in case SHTF. Anyone do this or have suggestions for how to get started? Good resources to check out gold ira reviews? Reputable sellers, etc.? I’m starting with very little knowledge.
should I start a new thread

Premium Features