• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Intermittent starting issue

S
Dec 3, 2022
Michigan
I have a 2016 polaris switchback 800 that pulls over on the second pull, nearly every time, its not electric start. However at times I can pull it forever without it even coughing like it wants to start. Then if I wait for a few hours it will start on the second pull again. It has done this since it was new. I believe the issue is something electric, so I was wondering if there is a way to manually reset the ecu? Or does someone much smarter than me have an idea of what is causing this. Thanks in advance.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I'd break it down simple basics before electric. It's about 5 years old, if you think back how we would trouble shoot something similar we would probably start with fuel or fuel delivery. Many of those problems still exist. On carbs it would be a cleaning and maybe change the pilot jet or turn a screw slightly to adjust the fuel to adjust the idle n (not that we do this today but we can still clean out and inspect the fuel system). Also look at the fuel lines for signs of air signifying a fuel line in the gas tank need replacing because it's allowing air up through the system. look for varnish or hardening of the lines. Could also be as simple as a little water in the system also. Little shot of isopropyl down in the tank or heet usually clears that up. Then maybe check the plug/coil connections and a dab of dielectric grease on the connections and maybe even new plugs. If it still does it, I'd maybe dive a little deeper and pull the reeds and inspect them for any damage. I would do those things before eyeballing the ECM or Stator.

Cornfusion

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2017
Western Pa
I had a similar situation but only happened if it sat out overnight. A tss bypass cured mine. A guy on here sells them. I recommend wearing tether every time you start it though, nothing to keep it from running away if the throttle is stuck open.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
if it's a tss problem you can try cracking the throttle when starting . i would be suspect of the relay's and look at the stator connector to see if it is melting

Premium Features