• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

InReach, Spot, Zoleo? Which one

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
I have had the garmin I reach for two years and I love it. I send messages to the wife annd she can message back and have the option to link it to my phone. The battery on it lasts waaaay longer than a cold iPhone. Also like the plan options and the ability to suspend service without charges. But I use it boating where i have no cell service, dirt biking, hunting and sledding. Never had it not get a sat signal. Two thumbs up rating from me

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
Been using the InReach for years. My SAR group uses InReach as well. If I didn't have a functioning device I would take an honest look at the Zoleo as well though. The big thing is it has a dedicated number so your wife can message you first instead of waiting for you to message and then responding. InReach does have an email address but it only works InReach to InReach.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I run the InReach explorer+
Was in a avy situation last year, and yeah, very cold out. My phone I was texting through, as you well know battery life drops quickly.
I was texting & receiving messages from the IERCC, the SAR, and the wifey continuously, and just wanted to throw it out here to carry a phone charger of some type.
I had one of those solar charging pac's and getting overcast and dark- didn't give me the juice I was needing. The InReach battery level never dropped below 85% (y)

I always carry my plug in charger, ( I have a USB inlet rigged up in my sleds dash) and that is what really gave me the assurance to have battery, to preform texting during a high anxiety situation.
Very cumbersome trying to text on just the InReach, when it's cold/dark, and stress levels are off the charts !

Last edited:
C
Nov 29, 2008
Just saw an ad for a Motorola device - satellite two way messaging tied to your phone ....more options

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Premium Features