• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

InReach, Spot, Zoleo? Which one

cek

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2003
Yakima, WA
Ok trying to get input on emergency devices. Any input would be appreciated. Leaning toward the Garmin Mini so far. Size and the Garmin name are making me lean towards them.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I’ve ran Garmin inreach for solo backcountry hunting for many years and love it. Have the mini 2 at the moment, great device. Always in my avy pack sledding.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i can't make a comparison as i haven't tried all of them....the original spot before texting became available worked well the few times i used it...i went to the full sized Inreach 5 years ago and use it frequently .... i like the 3 "pre-set messages" and like the ability to text complete messages to my family plus their ability to reply back....it works very well almost any place...only time i had problems getting a message out was in southern Utah in canyon country with a lot of trees, it wasn't slot canyon, but a still a little bit deep, as soon as i hiked up out of the dead spot, it sent the message right away......i ride sleds, bikes, and 4-wheel drives in very remote spots by myself, mostly, and it gives a great deal of reassurance to do so..

cek

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2003
Yakima, WA
i can't make a comparison as i haven't tried all of them....the original spot before texting became available worked well the few times i used it...i went to the full sized Inreach 5 years ago and use it frequently .... i like the 3 "pre-set messages" and like the ability to text complete messages to my family plus their ability to reply back....it works very well almost any place...only time i had problems getting a message out was in southern Utah in canyon country with a lot of trees, it wasn't slot canyon, but a still a little bit deep, as soon as i hiked up out of the dead spot, it sent the message right away......i ride sleds, bikes, and 4-wheel drives in very remote spots by myself, mostly, and it gives a great deal of reassurance to do so..
Do the difference between the mini and the full size is the ability to send custom messages?

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Do the difference between the mini and the full size is the ability to send custom messages?
The mini 2 has better ability to send messages than my original larger one, and even the original Mini in my opinion. There is always dead spots with these devices, unfortunately.

CISC0

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2010
PNW=WA
I’ve been using inreach mini for yrs. Paired to my smartphone. Works great. One year I lost it deep in the backcountry. Forgot to put it back in pack….. well I pinged it in the spring. Hiked back up and retrieved it. The ability to text family is priceless

trees happen

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2008
Anywhere there's snow
Inreach has the best satellite service, and the 67i is the best standalone, that gives you a usable map screen, without needing to pair your phone. It replaces the explorer +, and can link to more satellites at once, for more precise and quicker response. If you don't mind having to pair your phone, the mini 2 is a the next best, in a smaller package. I just wanted something I didn't need to pair my phone to, in case battery was drained. They both pair for more features if needed. There's the bigger garmin 700 series, but for battery life, size, and usable features, the 67i was the winner for me.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Inreach has the best satellite service, and the 67i is the best standalone, that gives you a usable map screen, without needing to pair your phone. It replaces the explorer +, and can link to more satellites at once, for more precise and quicker response. If you don't mind having to pair your phone, the mini 2 is a the next best, in a smaller package. I just wanted something I didn't need to pair my phone to, in case battery was drained. They both pair for more features if needed. There's the bigger garmin 700 series, but for battery life, size, and usable features, the 67i was the winner for me.
I carry a GARMIN 67i

((EXCELLENT handheld GPS Map)) so no matter what happens you will never be lost.

Solid Messaging
010-02812-00_f07.jpg

TWO-WAY MESSAGING​

Exchange text messages with loved ones, post to social media, or communicate from inReach to inReach in the field.

Solid Emergency SOS system
010-02812-00_f08.jpg

INTERACTIVE SOS ALERTS​

In case of emergency, trigger an interactive SOS message to the Garmin ResponseSM center, a 24/7-staffed professional emergency response coordination center.

cek

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2003
Yakima, WA
I’d love to have the 67i but just trying to justify the extra $200 between it and the mini. Plus I’m buying two. One for myself and one for my son.

This sport has gotten expensive since I was last in it.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I have run the Spot and InReach service and the InReach devices are hands down better. I tried the Spot X last season and it has to be held in an upright position for it to work properly and it was much more delayed in sending messages compared to the InReach service I had on my Montana before. The InReach devices I had always tracked well and sent messages well so long as they had a view of the sky. Even mounted on the truck or SxS dash they always tracked well. The Spot X needed a really good view and would not always track properly. I picked up the InReach Mini 2 to go forward with as I have made the jump to the Garmin Tread GPS Devices and that pairs well with them.

cek

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2003
Yakima, WA
I have run the Spot and InReach service and the InReach devices are hands down better. I tried the Spot X last season and it has to be held in an upright position for it to work properly and it was much more delayed in sending messages compared to the InReach service I had on my Montana before. The InReach devices I had always tracked well and sent messages well so long as they had a view of the sky. Even mounted on the truck or SxS dash they always tracked well. The Spot X needed a really good view and would not always track properly. I picked up the InReach Mini 2 to go forward with as I have made the jump to the Garmin Tread GPS Devices and that pairs well with them.
Thanks for all of the info. I think I’ve settled on InReach and probably the mini just because of the cost compared to the 67i.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
For emergency devices there are a few more choices.

Garmin has multiple two way devices, plus subscription, mini 2 $300-400
Zoleo two way, I think the unit might be less than Garmin mini but monthly subsrip is more
Spot has some two way devices, plus subscription
Motorola Defy $ 100-150, free svc first year, not sure if two way
iphone 14, I believe one way emergency
Satelite phones, pricey and larger?
ACR emergency beacon $400-500? No subscription fee, emergency one way
Maybe other options too?

The Hiking Guy on youtube has done a few reviews and comparisons.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thanks for all of the info. I think I’ve settled on InReach and probably the mini just because of the cost compared to the 67i.
the 67i is only justifiable if you plan on making GOOD USE of the GPS features.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Garmin InReach mini works well.

Been using it for a few years now. I can either send messages directly from the device, though that is cumbersome at best, or connect to my cell phone via Bluetooth, and send/receive messages that way. This way is much easier! The amount of free messages depends on what level of membership you have. The pre-set messages (you set up online) are always free.

I change to the cheap membership in the sledding off-season, for ATV riding. Then back to the middle plan for sledding.

With the middle plan, i can start tracking at the parking lot, and that track is uploaded to my personal Garmin website. Then my lovely and talented wife can follow along from her computer at home, and see where i am at during the day. That feature is pretty sweet, and gives her some peace of mind :)

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i have the spot X and it has worked well. i was looking at the garmin 67i but already had a gps unit so didnt need that and i believe it was more money than the spot. If i didnt already have a good gps i would have went with the garmin. I really like the ability to text. If we had to spend the night on the mountain but didnt need rescue i could text people and say were fine and be home in the morning. i have used the tracking and its neat to see exactly where you were and anyone with your password can keep track of your where abouts.

Premium Features