• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Idling/RPM Issues (help!)

Hey Everyone,

Finally got just enough snow to take my 10' RMK 600 out for a ride after tearing her all apart this summer and doing some mods. First fired it up and idled right around 1400rpm (same rpm as always). Let it sit and idle for a couple minutes, then all of the sudden the rpm's dropped right down to 900 and lower where my instrument guages start flashing because it's idling so low.

Some of the mods I did this summer were:

- V-Force reeds
- SLP Big Horn Air Intake
- SLP pipe & Can
- 62g weights (from 58g's) and blue/pink spring
- other things like tunnel/track extension and golden lefty throttle, but certainly would not think that any of those have an impact on my sled idle.

NOTE that I did not buy an aftermarket fuel mapper from the SLP website when I made my big order since SLP says in their part description under the pipe & can for my sled (Part #09-637) "No ECU Modification Required" in bold.

I have also been told it could possibly be a bad exhaust temperature sensor that goes into the side of the pipe?

Any help would be appreciated, first trip's in t-3 weeks!:help:

Jorg

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
TPS out of adjustment..

Did you mess with the sync screw between each of the throttle bodys.. That will do it for sure!

Also.. Is your Fuel Fresh???

Makes a big difference...

Also one thing all add with the voltage reg. there is a Capacitor ... holds voltage when the sled need it.. Located behind the air box by fuel tank.. its a wire bullet connector.. Makes a big difference.. about 30$ part..

TPS out of adjustment..

Did you mess with the sync screw between each of the throttle bodys.. That will do it for sure!

Also.. Is your Fuel Fresh???

Makes a big difference...

Also one thing all add with the voltage reg. there is a Capacitor ... holds voltage when the sled need it.. Located behind the air box by fuel tank.. its a wire bullet connector.. Makes a big difference.. about 30$ part..

Bought 23 litres of fresh 91 octane fuel and added that to my 3/8" old 91 fuel from last season which also had fuel stabilizer in it. Tonight I tore apart my air box to take a look at the tps on the side of the injectors there and am currently trying to find someone with/build a tps sensor tester/adjuster. Read up on how to test/set it properly just need the tool to try! My capacitor is mounted right on top of the VR..? what year sled is yours?

There are Two Capacitors ... Yes one right above the VR.. and a small one .. behind ur air box.. Just hanging from the wire loom..

Did you mess with throttle cable at all??

I replaced the one ontop of the VR but not the one behind the air box. And technically yes, when i was wiggling the boots off to install the new reeds I backed off the idle screw. Played with the cable adjustment up by the handle bars too with no improvement. Running out of possible ideas... I'm thinking that the fuel/air ratio mixture could be out since I added reeds, air intake, an the full SLP exhaust? a side effect of the pipe? I got it to the point where the idle now only dies when i go right from WOT to no throttle, and i let the sled coast down to a stop. One small tap of the throttle brings the idle back to a steady 1400RPM...:noidea: lol

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
hmm Well that sled should be idling at 1750 1800.. rpms

Now for sure it wasn't the sync screw that u messed with ..... it was the idle screw..

The sync screw is the one right next to the TB, in the middle ~ towards the air box.. the one towards the engine is the idle screw...

And can up the idle so is idles around 1750.. might only take a 1/2 a full turn

I would take a mirror and look in to the tb and see if the blades are synced to start with..

T
Oct 26, 2012
Central IA
For 20 bucks at radio shack you can build your own tps and set it. Increasing your IQ has direction how to build/check tps.

Mine was out of adjustment but it went the other way. was idling so high the clutch was just about engaged. I recommend using an analog VM when setting this. Lots of digital voltmeters will average readings over a period of time (sec).

Last edited:
hmm Well that sled should be idling at 1750 1800.. rpms

Now for sure it wasn't the sync screw that u messed with ..... it was the idle screw..

The sync screw is the one right next to the TB, in the middle ~ towards the air box.. the one towards the engine is the idle screw...

And can up the idle so is idles around 1750.. might only take a 1/2 a full turn

I would take a mirror and look in to the tb and see if the blades are synced to start with..

ALL, I have found the problem... my brand new V-force 3 reeds with not even 50 miles on them... had corners chipped and broken off on one side. After putting stock ones back in and having the TPS re-set, new VR, new capacitor, cut back plug boots & new boots, this sled has never ran stronger. and it now idles at 1700! which it's never done before!:becky::becky: Thank you everyone, hopefully this helps someone else diagnose their sled issues in a much shorter time as it's taken me.

Jorg

Premium Features