• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Idle rpm drop after WOT

T
Dec 7, 2012
Kraven, I have the parts list and all for the home made tester. Can you impart some of your wisdom though? I have no idea how to hook up the tester and the volt meter to the TPS. Many thanks.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
TSETTING THE T.P.S.

Kraven, I have the parts list and all for the home made tester. Can you impart some of your wisdom though? I have no idea how to hook up the tester and the volt meter to the TPS. Many thanks.

Video is in the POLARIS 900 section, skip past the part about "synching" the throttle bodies.

There's also a schematic there tells you which wire goes where.

T.P.S. SETTING PROCEDURE

1) Make sure you have 5.00 volts (Using a HIGH QUALITY digital voltmeter) first before doing anything

2) CLOSE the throttle blades COMPLETELY! by backing off the "idle" set screw

3) ADJUST T.P.S to .70 volts +/-.01 volts for the 600/700/800

4) Turn "idle screw" until your digital voltmeter reads .94 or .95 (but this varies with model,spec is in the owner's manual)

5) Using an analog style volt meter, gradually open and close the throttle and watch the voltmeter move gradually, erratic readings indicate a faulty T.P.S.

T.P.S. TESTER, comes with the plug (plugs onto your 3-pronged T.P.S.) Available from your local POLARIS dealer for $ 50.00 PART # 2201519-A - you'll still need a high quality voltmeter to work with it.

Last edited:
T
Dec 7, 2012
Well, I got done checking my tps (using a computer power supply) :) and sure enough, it was at .726 instead of .70. Hmm quite a difference. I'll let you guys know if it fixed it tomorrow when I go for a ride.

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
Did you need a special torx to get the screws loose or does a regular one work? If you needed a special one where did you get it?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

T
Dec 7, 2012
My sled ran fantastic for a while. Then it would idle at like 2,000+ (previously 1800) then it would drop back to 1800 after idling for a few minutes. Then it didn't drop at all and just sat idling at 2,000. I shut it off and restarted it, and it ran at 2,000 for a while then abruptly the rpm went down down down until to shut off completely. Then it wouldn't start again. Now when I try to start it, it starts for barely a second (not even long enough for the gauge to hardly light up), and I can hear that it is a high rpm like 2,000 or so. OMG I am so pissed at it. Could it be that the sensor is toast? I just re checked it, and the voltage I am getting is correct.

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
Did you check for dead spots in the tps? Mine ran great for 300 miles and now it started doing this low idle. Mine is so bad that it only holds 900 rpm after a hard pull. The gauge goes dead it idles so low but mine idles low to begin with, about 1550 at sea level and won't idle at elevation. Do you run a PC-V?

T
Dec 7, 2012
No pcv. btw it did fix the low idle issue when it was running. I don't have an analog meter so I couldn't check. I might replace the sensor and see what happens. don't know what else to do.

T
Dec 7, 2012
Question, should the voltage be exactly the same after I move the throttle bodies as before I move them? Because even though it is still in spec I was thinking it might be a sign of a bad tps?

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. The voltage should be the same every time you check it with the throttle plates closed...yes. For instance if you open the throttle and let it close, the voltage should return to that .93v that you set it at. I'm going to do mine tomorrow morning and I'll report back what I find. Mine got considerably worse the last few rides.

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
Got to mine today, idles at 1800 +/- 100. I didn't check what the idle screw was at before but I set it at.93v. The base line was perfect and I resynced them. I think my problem was more from them being dirty than anything. They were filthy.

T
Dec 7, 2012
Thanks man glad it is running good for you. I am still at a loss with mine maybe I will take it in and tell them to fix it too bad it is so expensive.

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
I was able to detect a bad spot in mine. Around 3.15v it would hit a dead spot. The ohm meter would read OL. It would only do it opening the throttle, on the way back down it would read fine. I couldn't get another one and leaving for Wyoming this afternoon so I'm just going to run it.

Premium Features