• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

iBackshift clutch kit review

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Well now that my Expert is done with breaking in, and after putting over 400 miles on it I figured I would report back on the iBackshift clutch kit.
I have been fortunate to ride in some really good snow this year at Seeley Lake, and Cooke City. I’m more than happy with the new Ski Doo Expert, and could not ask for anything more out of the clutching I got from Dynamo Joe at iBackshift.com.
From hearing how strong of a backshift his clutch kits had, and the name iBackshift I was concerned it would be to much for my liking. What I found was just what I was looking for! When coming down a steep slope one throttle blurb, and the clutch engaged so I was able to let the motor do the braking which gave great control descending the hills.
Climbing was also spot on. We were able to play in some pretty deep snow, but I purposely cleared the dash to watch the rpms on a number of climbs. Some straight up full throttle all the way and some on and off the throttle to see how fast the recovery was. I couldn’t ask for better results! When approaching the hill and giving it full throttle the tac jumped right to 7,800 rpm, and as speed picked up the rpms settled in right at 8,000. I had basically the same results when doing the on and off throttle test. Nothing gives more confidence when maneuvering around obstacles at part throttle than knowing when you nail it that the sled will plain jump up and go!
Going from Seeley Lake 6,500 ft. to Cooke City 9,500 I needed to change the weights in the clutch. Joe’s instructions were spot on for weight needed, and it was the easiest weight change of any clutch kit I have used. It literally only takes 5 minutes and you don’t have to remove your belt!
Watching Joe’s video on how to install his clutch kit was not only educational, but kinda comical too, it gave me the confidence and knowledge not only to do it, but a heads up on what tools I needed to make or acquire before starting the project.
In my opinion a clutch kit is the best bang for your buck of any of the options you can buy for your sled. The performance gains, and lack of belt dust tells me it’s doing a good job.
Manufactures try to make one size fits all, but we are not all the same size. Joe gets all the information required to customize a clutch kit just for you, such as what sled and year, what track and length, you’re riding weight, and what rpm engagement you would like.
So if you want to tap into the underutilized performance of your sled give Dynamo Joe a call at iBackshift.com. I know I’m glad I did!

I
Dec 21, 2016
I’ve got his goodies in my FreeRide 154,” and you aren’t lying about the backshift. I like to act as if I’m rowing a canoe when my sled slowly creeps down a hill...it’s that smooth!

Blainelukens

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 18, 2010
Bozeman, MT
High Voltage are you running Joey's recommended weights or did you play around with it at all? What clicker position? I have his kit and really like it however I'm not quite seeing the rpms I feel I should be. I'm running clicker 3 with recommended weights for 9500'. Yesterday after getting unstuck in a creek I WOT out and was only pulling 7600 rpm, granted it was in about 2.5-3' of soft snow. Just trying to get a feel for what to try next, I was going to run on clicker 2 and see what that does for me. However these P drives have me all F-ed up and my brain hurts trying to read/search about them. FYI sled has about 650 miles when it was in break in the rpms were pretty spot on

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
This is mostly what’s confusing me, the photo's contradict one another

Was your intakes plugged when climbing out in the fresh snow, or are you low in rpm all the time.

The graph in your pic shows a baseline when a sled is calibrated for a certain snow condition, and elevation.
Click down to take advantage of the lower profile of the flyweight profile, the tuner needs to remove weight. Same as clicking up to clicker 5, weight needs to be added.

For example, If you go from 1000ft elevation to 8000ft elevation of course the engine will be shy on power, therefore will produce a low max rpm.

Two things can be done to quickly compensate for this. 1) Click up and hopefully the move from clicker 3 to 5 will increase the rpm. 2) remove pivot weight and keep the sled at the desired clicker position.

Keep in mind, that info on the clickers came out of the 600RS manual, and in snocross racing the racers will benefit more from the ramp and profile changes more than a mtn sledder. Tune for clicker 3 and enjoy the ride.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
I'll add my experience on the install process for my 2020 Freeride which I completed yesterday. In short, it's easy to do especially with the right tools which I purchased from C&T Powersports (P Drive Complete Clutch Kit). The complete kit's not necessary but it sure is nice to have and I didn't want to fab up any tools (some of the tools I'd say are indispensable for this process). I also followed along with Joe's "redneck" install video which goes thru the whole process step by step. The only hiccup that I spent over an hour on trying to figure out was reinstalling the secondary. The shaft splines did not want to go into the top gear. I tried heating the bearing tower support, prying it forward a bit, putting light oil on the bearing, etc. Turns out, the bearing tower wasn't the issue at all which is what most people seem to experience. I remembered reading somewhere to loosen the chain tension so I did that and the jackshaft slid home easily on the first try. Loosening the chain tension evidently allows the top gear to move just enough to make it work.
Haven't ridden yet so have no experience with clutch kit performance.

Blainelukens

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 18, 2010
Bozeman, MT
thanks caper11 I didn't think about the intakes, not sure as it was the end of the day and I was spent. I've been running clicker 3 exclusively, it seems that I hit 7900-7800 at times although its been deep lately and have a hard time keeping intakes clear and being able to see the tach

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
logo[2].png

I need to jump in here and offer up some comments.
I also installed one of Joe's "Dynamo Joe" Clutch Kits on my 850.
3 things really stood out to me after the install was done.

https://www.ibackshift.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=95

#1.
Side by side with my other 850, the Dynamo Joe sled is "Quicker".
Not Faster, but QUICKER.
The acceleration is harder and the sleds "Leaps" off the starting line noticeably faster than my stock 850 does.
This clutch engages DAMN NEAR INSTANTLY.:)
There is just NO hesitation at any RPM that I have seen yet.

#2.
Deceleration/Downshifting/Engine Braking.
When I let off on the throttle, I get INSTANT engine braking!
Some may like this, others may not.
It took some getting used to for me, but I QUICKLY found I liked it.
Going downhill is much more predictable now and I am not playing with the hand brake in and out of engine braking.

#3.

Throttle response/Clutch Engagement at all RPMs is SUPER CRISP.
There is no lag nor hesitation on engagement.
Its very positive and VERY predictable.

All in all I am VERY HAPPY WITH THIS KIT and wouldn't have any issues endorsing it.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I have had good luck running Joe’s recommended weights, and clicker 3. Today I guessed the elevation wrong, and just ran clicker 4 and all was good.

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
Any reviews from guys that paid retail for the kits?
I was really disappointed in my 18 165 stock clutching but rode it the first year stock to get the feel for it. Immediately i put Joey's kit on the second year and it is the best clutched sled I've ridden. The only other one that was close was my 872 clutch kit from rooster built that was right on par with this one. Riding my buddies stock sleds a 17 19 20 s doos flat sucks in comparison. Hope this helps for a guy that paid retail.

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
I put his clutch kit in from day one and everything that Christopher said is true. My daughter who is 50 pounds lighter and I carry more gear than her also has the same sled but stock clutching and I out accelerate her and have way more bottom end side by side. I'm extremely happy with it. We ride mostly 10,000 to 11,500 feet in Colorado.

revone

Premium Member
Dec 16, 2007
I have been using Joey's clutch kits in all of my sleds since 2006, way too many sleds to admit. I have noticed a much easier to ride sled with his kit installed, he is also always there for support, you will be happy with his setup. Good luck.

XPWY

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
WY
I have also used Joey’s kits ever since the XP chassis and would not be without one. It’s so much smoother with the lower engagement, holds peak rpm, and has a very strong backshift. After riding my expert with Joey’s kit and then putting over 100 miles on the new turbo with stock clutching, his kit will be the first thing that goes on the turbo once it’s available.

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
View attachment 339991

I need to jump in here and offer up some comments.
I also installed one of Joe's "Dynamo Joe" Clutch Kits on my 850.
3 things really stood out to me after the install was done.

https://www.ibackshift.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=95

#1.
Side by side with my other 850, the Dynamo Joe sled is "Quicker".
Not Faster, but QUICKER.
The acceleration is harder and the sleds "Leaps" off the starting line noticeably faster than my stock 850 does.
This clutch engages DAMN NEAR INSTANTLY.:)
There is just NO hesitation at any RPM that I have seen yet.

#2.
Deceleration/Downshifting/Engine Braking.
When I let off on the throttle, I get INSTANT engine braking!
Some may like this, others may not.
It took some getting used to for me, but I QUICKLY found I liked it.
Going downhill is much more predictable now and I am not playing with the hand brake in and out of engine braking.

#3.
Throttle response/Clutch Engagement at all RPMs is SUPER CRISP.
There is no lag nor hesitation on engagement.
Its very positive and VERY predictable.

All in all I am VERY HAPPY WITH THIS KIT and wouldn't have any issues endorsing it.
I'm on my second season with Joey's kit and agree with everything Christopher said.

Premium Features