• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I think my ex valves are titanium, how can i make sure?

B

brent9k

Dec 17, 2007
BOZEMAN, MT
www.attackmotorsports.com
long story short I ended up with a set of SLP ported 800 cylinders
(2002-2005)
Both cylinders need to be re-nicked so I'm going to part it all out.

I took the valves out and they are realy light and a magnet will not stick to it.

So this means they are Tie....... Right?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
long story short I ended up with a set of SLP ported 800 cylinders
(2002-2005)
Both cylinders need to be re-nicked so I'm going to part it all out.

I took the valves out and they are realy light and a magnet will not stick to it.

So this means they are Tie....... Right?

not for sure...polaris shipped stockers with aluminun valves coated with a grey finish, the titaniums look almost like a cadium plating, and the stainless steels are real heavy....

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
You take them off and get them tested by an alloy identifier.

These machines cost a few $$$

So I would call a welder or alloy metal recycler ... or some one who deals in alloys (like a custom machine shop) and ask to use machine.

Takes seconds to identify.

You could back trace a technician who is certified to inspect.

http://www.api578.com/what_is/what_is.htm

Yes ... titanium is not magnetic since most of its material is Titanium, Aluminum and less than .3% IRON.

Last edited:
L
Dec 7, 2007
Western WA
Density

If you're ok with a little math there are few relatively easy option based on the material density properties.

1) You can figure it out with a tumbler of water and a small kitchen scale:

- top-off a tumbler with water, note that it will 'heap-up' a little
- weigh the valve(s)
- place the valve(s) in the tumbler of water (fully submerged); capture and weigh the amount of water that overflows
- Divide the weight of the valve(s) by the weight of the water. That is the density of the material.

Here are the material densities compared to water, notice that they are quite different:

Al 2.8
Ti 4.5
SS 7.9

It'll be a little sloppy, the hardest reading to get is the weight of the water. Things that will help:
- A good scale
- doing both valves at once
- getting the surface tension 'heap-up' height of the water the same

2) If you have a small hanging scale it is even easier, just hang the valve by a thread and weigh it out of water, then submerged in water.

Weight out divided by (weight out - weight in) = density

3) Or, if you or someone has a known valve laying around you can compare the ratio of the weights.

Yah, I watched a little too much Bill Nye, but its paying for my addiction...

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
If you're ok with a little math there are few relatively easy option based on the material density properties.

1) You can figure it out with a tumbler of water and a small kitchen scale:

- top-off a tumbler with water, note that it will 'heap-up' a little
- weigh the valve(s)
- place the valve(s) in the tumbler of water (fully submerged); capture and weigh the amount of water that overflows
- Divide the weight of the valve(s) by the weight of the water. That is the density of the material.

Here are the material densities compared to water, notice that they are quite different:

Al 2.8
Ti 4.5
SS 7.9

It'll be a little sloppy, the hardest reading to get is the weight of the water. Things that will help:
- A good scale
- doing both valves at once
- getting the surface tension 'heap-up' height of the water the same

2) If you have a small hanging scale it is even easier, just hang the valve by a thread and weigh it out of water, then submerged in water.

Weight out divided by (weight out - weight in) = density

3) Or, if you or someone has a known valve laying around you can compare the ratio of the weights.

Yah, I watched a little too much Bill Nye, but its paying for my addiction...

Interesting....but could a guy simply weigh the valve? Go to a dealer and compare to the weight of a known valve? Or is there a part number?

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
or you could just use a graduated cylinder, put a certain amount of water in it and see how much the valve displaces which will give you the volume of the valve, then weigh it and divide the 2 which will give you the density, you can find the density of aluminum and titanium from a periodic table.

Premium Features