• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How many miles can I expect to get on my 800 Etec before I rebuild it

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I'm not brand loyal I have both a pro and ordered a new t3 EVERY and I mean every pro in our group (6) I have towed out of the mountains before 1500 miles due to and engine issue. One friends I just tore down and it was miles away from blowing.

You're clearly wrong... If you ask this question in the poo forum they'l let you know that the poo motor is probably the most reliable out there. I think they all average like 8k on a top end. Amazing engineering from what I hear........:frusty:

Funny how on the interwebs they're so great, but every one I know has had some significant issues in less than a year.:face-icon-small-con

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
Ray Mason from totally awesome adventures has over 12000 km on his 13 XM 163. He is a back country guide so he rides a lot. That ETEC engine is very reliable.

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
You're clearly wrong... If you ask this question in the poo forum they'l let you know that the poo motor is probably the most reliable out there. I think they all average like 8k on a top end. Amazing engineering from what I hear........:frusty:

Funny how on the interwebs they're so great, but every one I know has had some significant issues in less than a year.:face-icon-small-con

How true, but there's no covering up Pro problems. If you really ride with guys that have them you will definitely be doing some towing every time you ride, oh did I say everytime Cuz I meant EVERY single time lol and I text the guy Sledheadd spoke of yesterday and he left out the part where that 2014 XM blew up twice in 9,000 miles. I think 4k per motor is great don't get me wrong but getting more than that is just plain lucky. Look at trends and used parts availability and that usually answers all automotive questions. It's also funny to speak the truth about things in these brand loyal forums Cuz you get guys like 2014xm that give you bad reviews like my last post in this thread!What does that do for you dude?

Last edited:
L
Dec 17, 2008
I have 2700 miles on a 13 xm and the crank is out of spec.
A friend has gone through a 13 and 14 xm, each loosing a crank bearing near 1500 miles.

M

millnoff

Dec 5, 2007
No etec here but my 2010 800r made it 3k miles no prob, comp was 150/151 and it runs like a champ. Old mans, brother in laws, 2 other friends are all between 3000 and 4000 and same thing. Brp oil and let them warm up and your good to go!

C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
How true, but there's no covering up Pro problems. If you really ride with guys that have them you will definitely be doing some towing every time you ride, oh did I say everytime Cuz I meant EVERY single time lol and I text the guy Sledheadd spoke of yesterday and he left out the part where that 2014 XM blew up twice in 9,000 miles. I think 4k per motor is great don't get me wrong but getting more than that is just plain lucky. Look at trends and used parts availability and that usually answers all automotive questions. It's also funny to speak the truth about things in these brand loyal forums Cuz you get guys like 2014xm that give you bad reviews like my last post in this thread!What does that do for you dude?

I had an 2006 600SDI with 4,400 miles before it was totaled from a bent nun. Next was a 2010 PTek carb 800 with 1,800 miles before I sold it when I bought a 2012 800 Pro RMK. 1,004 miles on it and the motor blew.

"I've never seen a ski doo motor last more than 1500 miles riding here in the west and I've been paying attention ever since the prototype came out in 2000."

If the guy you texted said he is on his 3rd motor my math goes:
9,000 miles / 3 motors = 3,000 miles/motor. Exactly double your quote above where you have never seen a ski doo motor last more than 1500 miles. Add in my 2 ski doos outlasting your 1500 miles and I can see why he gave you a bad review.

L
Jun 7, 2013
Iowa
I bought a 2011 800 etec rental sled with 2700 miles and pistons spun a ring at 4,300 miles but was covered due to the recall then stator took a **** at 4,700 miles. Still better than a poo 800

OsborneReady

Guide at Tracked Out Adventures
Lifetime Membership
I have a 13' XM. I just had the top end freshened up at 2500 miles. I could have went longer for sure. My pistons were in great shape still. Its not a bad idea to do it sooner then later that way you don't end up losing an entire motor.

G
Feb 9, 2014
Shuswap
I should also add:
When I purchased my XM, I knew it was going to become a high mileage sled, hence to unlimited mileage bumper to bumper warranty was a notable selling point for me.
I had discussed with the service manager how to approach maintenance and such, since I would quite possibly be making use of that warranty for engine work.
His response was pretty straightforward: Do the required maintenance as outlined and you'll be covered. BRP won't do any engine work preventatively, but when it becomes a problem, they will fix it. Even if it blows up.
So that has been my approach, and for the things that have broken so far, warranty work has been pretty straightforward.

W
Nov 10, 2010
2012 xp800 etec had 3600 km went throu 2 muffler bearings (sensors) and thats it. Just Got new top end on a recall, you should look into it! have no intention of doing bottom end or some time.

Premium Features