• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How do you make a 02 mc float

lookma/nohands

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2008
Sidney, Mt
I have a 02 mc 800 144(stock) that my son uses, it used to be mine but now I have a M8 153 so I know the 02 mc is somewhat of a pig to ride. What have some of you done to make the front ends lighter and float a little better.Would putting on a super wide pair of skis be a good start?

L
Mar 18, 2009
The Great State of AK
I have a riding buddy that just put a set of Gen II skis on his 02 MC 600. We also freshened up the clutch, cleaned the power valves and put on new PV cables. It made a big differance on his sled.
Also the front arm on the skid has been moved to the lower hole in the tunnel, sping on front skid shock is tightend up with the limit strap out and soft on the rear springs.
Just like the old ZRs it pulls up the front when on the gas so you have to learn to steer with body english. On the trails, he jacks up the rear spring blocks and it does fine.

Hope this helps,
LOG.

Last edited:

cat rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairmont, MN
Put 151 rails on it or extend the 144's to 151's then put a 151" X 16 wide track on it. It makes quite a difference, one of my buddies did this to his 01 800.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Drop and roll chaincase! that will make more difference on how it goes through the deep then anything else.

lookma/nohands

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2008
Sidney, Mt
All good suggestions, two questions
1. How much clearance is left on the sides of the track after installing a 16 wide?

2. Is there a template or good instructions on dropping and rolling the chaincase and do you use the original case?

To the hosts and the people who contribute to this forum, THANK-YOU the response on this forum it is awesome compared to the site that carries the AC name (not meant to bash the other site, it is a very good site as well, but this forum gets action)

cat rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairmont, MN
1. How much clearance is left on the sides of the track after installing a 16 wide?

I don't remember for sure, but there is plenty of room. Its not something to worry about. The only problem you might have doing this is that the track might hit the coolers. In order to deal with this you can either trim the paddles so they don't hit the coolers (big pain in the a$$) like the stock track is trimmed for or get some drop brackets and don't worry about it. Also while doing this anti-ratchet drivers are not a bad upgrade, but its not something you need.

P
Jan 15, 2005
ND
Had an 02 myself. The drop and rolled chaincase would make a huge difference, but it's a big project and unless you are very good with aluminum I would suggest paying to have it done or just forget it. A place in ND quoted me $700 to do it. And that was just to install the d&r. I had to remove the motor, skid............. and reinstall after. Not worth it considering the price of used M sleds.

Rock Hound

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Central Mn
I had a 02 144 800. I would do a drop and roll and a 144" skidframe setback for a 151" track. I have the fabcraft templates needed and maybe a notched 151" x 2" track for sale. PM me if interested.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
You do not have to drop and roll the chain case, 10 tooth driver and set back the front arm 2 3/8 in. There was a detailed post on this that Johny Welsh made. Probably cost 150.00 to do and it will totally change how the sled goes through the snow. If you can find that info you will be set I cannot remember all the steps.

M

miko

Nov 28, 2007
So. Dak.
I would put on a 151" track, slide the skid back 3" and remount. The rest of the slack of the longer track can be tightened with the adjuster. This will lower the attack angle giving you better floatation.

Premium Features