• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Honda XR650L

Y
Dec 12, 2022
Edmonton
I’m looking at a used Honda dirtbike. I’ve been looking for this bike for a while. My family owns husky 450 snow bikes. I want to ride with them. I get I may not be able to keep up with them, but is this bike capable at all? It’s not fuel injected it’s carbed. Can y’all weigh in?

Names Chris from Edmonton AB

V
Jul 5, 2021
Omsk, Russia
It's a bit heavy. and quite low in max RPM. Despite of that - nothing is impossimbe.
You will need a properly manufactured fit kit. May be tricky with non-reversed front forks, but it's definitely possible.

Almost any bike is capable. I swear I saw a HD snowbike on YouTube. And I own YBR125 snowbike :)

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
You could.... but I'd highly recommend against it personally. I'd say save your back from lifting that heavy beast and some $ and get as new of 450 4 stroke or 300 2 stroke for a kit. Until then, maybe you can find somewhere to rent one for a day and get out with your fam.

Y
Dec 12, 2022
Edmonton
Thanks, that’s too bad, I think I’ll still get the bike, I grew up on an XR, been lookin for a 650 for my 230lbs ass. I’ll keep my eyes open for one of the bikes mentioned. Can ya give some pros n cons of 2 or 4 stroke? Cost/power/weight/attitude in snow, the only 2 stroke experience I have is on sleds, and not much, only snow bike experience is rippin around the field on a family members KTM or husky 450 with Yeti setups.

Thanks again for the initial response!! I don’t like it but I respect it and know it’s true.

M
Jan 14, 2004
There was a guy on here years ago who had a 650 setup I think with an old TS. Do some searching and you may find the threads. If I recall it was a bit of a turd.

M5

E
Dec 19, 2007
If you don't already have the bike then there is absolutely no reason to buy one. It's way too heavy and not enough power plus you will have to have custom parts built to make the fit kit. I had a raptor 700 for a while and spent a lot of money making horsepower and it was still a heavy pig it wouldn't go in deep snow and I couldn't pick it up when it tipped over.

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
Thanks, that’s too bad, I think I’ll still get the bike, I grew up on an XR, been lookin for a 650 for my 230lbs ass. I’ll keep my eyes open for one of the bikes mentioned. Can ya give some pros n cons of 2 or 4 stroke? Cost/power/weight/attitude in snow, the only 2 stroke experience I have is on sleds, and not much, only snow bike experience is rippin around the field on a family members KTM or husky 450 with Yeti setups.

Thanks again for the initial response!! I don’t like it but I respect it and know it’s true.
At 230lbs you might look into the husky/ktm 500's. They are as close to an xr as you can get in a new platform, except better in every way. Ha. A 300 2 stroke would be underpowered for you most likely. I ride one and love it, but I'm 140#

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
10 or 12 years ago on this forum there were on going threads on here all the time about running all the xr bikes into snow bikes, saw a couple here in western Montana. If you have a few basic mechanical skills making a fit kit is not a big deal, I just turned out a fit kit for an odd bike, you just have to look at the need and make parts, dont all have to be turned out on a lathe. The only real issue with the air cooled bikes is finding heat for you carburetor. It will ice up in the 28-34 degree range and be a pain in the ass. Maybe some better electric hand warmers to wrap the carb out there these days. Don't let the hard core bikers beat your idea down, make one and you will have fun on it.

Premium Features