• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hole in radiator, help.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Well guys out riding today and I took a couple rocks into the radiator. Can anyone tell me how difficult or simple it is to replace?
2y4e9a2a.jpg

e7ejerut.jpg

N

Northernboy

Dec 4, 2007
Had to change mine a few years back on my Nytro. Had to take front end off and everything from the right side including the right engine support. Took long enough and about thirty rivets. I think during assembly it is the first thing that goes on the tunnel so a lot has to come off. I left my motor in but would be easier with it out.

Good luck.

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
That's the front cooler, might be able to take out the track and suspension and take it to a good welder and have it patched up. Track and suspension have to come out even if it can't be patched.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So there we were, having a great ride in horrible visibility out on the farms in Ashton, heading for coyote meadows for a relaxing low stress day in the snow. Good foot to 18 inches of fresh snow. Total stuck fest for the first 45 minutes.

Chim0Chim swapped out sleds with his girlfriend to let her ride the turbo nytro while he was rocking the phazer and busting some moves on it. She got stuck on an incline and turned the sled over to TurboLover who pulled his world famous (Pin & Wiggle) maneuver. He pinned it, wiggled it loose and got it unstuck. But they heard that bone charring "PING" from beneath the sled, and then saw the pool of bright green blood. Such sadness.

Didn't catch one, but TWO large rocks and catapulted them into the radiator under full boost and punched two holes in her! The sled is now at Rexburg Motors Sports for emergency surgery and probably a radiator-heat exchanger transplant. Hope to have her fixed by Thursday night for our big Togwotee ride on Friday!

There is nothing better than a MAJOR repair when you are under the gun for TIME. This one is going to the insurance claim department.

Its gonna cost $$$$$$$$$$

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
"Chim0Chim swapped out sleds with his girlfriend to let her ride the turbo "

I just knew that if a mans heart was broken that there had to be a woman involved...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Like a good neighbor.................
Oh Ya.
The claim for this one has already been filed.
My biggest concern is TIMING.
Don't want to be without this sled for the forum ride in Togwotee this weekend. But if the insurance company drags its feet, then the sled will not get fixed in time.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
You could just drop the track and drivers, that's a pretty easy weld/repair job once you get it cleaned up.

M5
And that was the first thing I thought as well.
Pull the skid, remove the drivers and track
cut out the bent metal, and WELD in a nice new clean plate WITHOUT removing the heat exchanger at all.

Ryan over at RMS suggested they MIGHT be able to do that, but wouldn't know for sure until the tunnel was empty and he could get a really clean look at it.

Right now, its sitting there waiting for a green light from the insurance company before they will touch it. Don't want to do anything that would result in the Ins. claim being denied.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Well from the sounds of it, the insurance guy won't make it out till Thursday! So ummm who's bringing me a spare sled?

M
Jan 14, 2004
And that was the first thing I thought as well.
Pull the skid, remove the drivers and track
cut out the bent metal, and WELD in a nice new clean plate WITHOUT removing the heat exchanger at all.

Ryan over at RMS suggested they MIGHT be able to do that, but wouldn't know for sure until the tunnel was empty and he could get a really clean look at it.

Right now, its sitting there waiting for a green light from the insurance company before they will touch it. Don't want to do anything that would result in the Ins. claim being denied.

That's all I would do, 2 hours max. I've welded lots of coolers over the years, the only trick is to make sure you have everything REALLY clean before you start tig welding in the patch. I did a 3" track cooler mod this last fall and inside the Nytro cooler there are two passages, it looks to me like you just got the lower one of them but even if you hit the both of them it won't really make much difference as they are connected at the end and it will still work fine.

M5

Premium Features