• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help Diagnose Hydrolocked '09 800R Power T.E.K.

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
2009 Ski-Doo 50th Anniversary Edition (41 of 500) 800R Power T.E.K. 154"

Hello all,
I rode with a friend last year, and after dropping down from 4000' feet to 3000' his engine seized up, I pulled the belt, noticed the coolant bottle was empty, filled it with water, and tried to roll the primary. It felt solid so we did not even pull the spark plugs, just loosened the track and towed it downhill. After sitting all summer, we tore it down slowly and found:

First, he had complained of the sled of backfiring before, and installed new pre-gapped plugs before this ride.

1)The PTO Spark Plugs' ceramic had split at the tip, and the pieces bounced around and did a number on the piston. The piston and head looked clean of carbon. There was a crack on the exhaust side, crescent shaped, going down past the ring by about 1/32nd.

2) The MAG Spark Plug had coolant in it as did the cylinder itself. The dome, and piston had combusted material on it, I am assuming it is leaked glycol....
The combusted material looked as if it had been disturbed in four spots, perhaps "washed."

3)The exhaust pipe was full of coolant.

After pulling the heads, I rolled the clutch and notice that the PTO cylinder seems to have a lot of play at Bottom Dead Center, as In I can roll the crank a few degrees in either direction, and the piston stays still.

The MAG piston has a lot of play forward to back in the cylinder.

So obviously there are some parts to replace here, pistons, rings, wrist pins,
but I am having a hard time deciphering what happened here.

The simple answer is that the head gasket failed and dumped coolant into the MAG side cylinder and locked the engine up, we filled the coolant bottle and as the coolant level equalized it filled the whole engine cavity.

If so, what caused the head gasket to fail, did he overheat and the head lifted slightly?

Had it been leaking for awhile causing the sled to backfire and build carbon up on the MAG side? (The combusted material I assumed to be coolant, could be accumulated carbon.)

Is the play I feel on the PTO piston at BDC something to be concerned about?
Am I just making something out of nothing with that few degrees of rotation?

I am unfamiliar with the 800R Power TEK, is there something common with these motors I am overlooking? Is there something else I should be looking for? I believe the are case cooled, meaning the lower case is water jacketed.
Am I looking in the wrong area, could this be a water jacket crack vs. a failed inner head gasket o-ring?

Is there a drain plug to drain the combustion case of coolant or water in case of a water submersion.?

I can add photos if it would help.

Thank-you for any help gents.

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
I will, would that be just a gasket failure, or would there be a root cause for that failure?

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Written above: "1)The PTO Spark Plugs' ceramic had split at the tip, and the pieces bounced around and did a number on the piston. The piston and head looked clean of carbon. There was a crack on the exhaust side, crescent shaped, going down past the ring by about 1/32nd."

Detonation causing a fatigue of the cylinder's water jacket? Pistons are worn out (rocking f to r), null at top and bottom of stroke is normal, head gasket failed due to detonation and overheating. Not aware of a crankcase drain on this motor's case.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
You will just need to look close at everything. I'm not much of an engine guy but I have heard of many base gasket failures on 800R....which would seep coolant, cause detonation and may account for what you see on the top-end. Just a possibility-

M
Apr 19, 2010
some things to look for would be head orings if they are damaged at all. you could check the head to see if its warped but dont think it should be.base gasket, you might be able to see if it was leaking somewhere on the gasket but it would leak to the outside to maybe.if you have up and down play in your crank rod sometimes it will crack the bottom of the cases. . i would think more head gasket though i would have a good look at o rings.

Premium Features