• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heads up on ARO 3 maintenance issue.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
I decided to upgrade my shocks on my ARO 3, so I ordered the Exit shocks from Zbroz racing. When I took my skid out of the kit and took it apart, I noticed something that I thought some of you other guys might be interested in. Last season I recalled bottoming out my kit 2or 3 times. Well, when I took it apart to install the new shocks I found all four of the cross shafts that the shock mount to were bent and binding in the suspension. So, if you've bottomed out your kit in the past, I'd suggest pulling it apart and checking things out before the season really gets going. I tried to straighten the bent shafts with marginal luck, so ended up ordering new ones from TS, not cheap...

E
Dec 19, 2007
Bottoming won't cause that issue. If it's bending the cross shafts especially the lower ones that's a shock problem. It's either way too stiff valving or they were over filled either way causing a hydro lock that stops the shock shaft movement before the bumpers touch.

My riot had the rear one over filled from the factory but I didn't hit hard enough to bend anything luckily.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
It was caused by bottoming..all 4 shafts were bent. The shocks are valved for a 180lb rider and I'm 240 dry. Add in a pack, clothes, boots, fuel jug, too box, tools etc. I crushed it several time last season, hoping properly valved and sprung shocks will stop it.

C
Apr 22, 2019
It was caused by bottoming..all 4 shafts were bent. The shocks are valved for a 180lb rider and I'm 240 dry. Add in a pack, clothes, boots, fuel jug, too box, tools etc. I crushed it several time last season, hoping properly valved and sprung shocks will stop it.

You always need to spring for your weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
Do the springs coil bind? I had that issue on the front shock on my 16LT. I would hope that timbersled figured that out by now though.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
the 20 Riot had similar issues with the front shock lower carrier bending. I got mine warranty replaced. It seems a rebuild of the shocks after a season is a good idea, at a minimum to check the nitrogen and oil volumes regardless, but I think the valving design and free piston position were poorly done by fox / TS on the 18+ kits.

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
I found this out on my CMX. Bottomed a few times really hard. Toco'd the shafts. Didn't know it until I pulled the shocks off to have them upgraded. Now its something I will keep an eye out for.

Premium Features