• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

head mod

I have 01 mountian cat 800 and a 03 1m both have 800 in them. What i want to know is, has any body taken the head down to a machine shop or done it there selfs and mill it down like 20 thousands to up the compression on build more power. Or would it be better to just buy a aftermarket head. I have a extra set of heads laying around and thinking about doing this.

01ZRTCAT

Mar 12, 2010
You need to check the squish band before you cut them! So you know how much you can take off!! You would be surprised how much difference there could be between cylinders!

I set mine at .075 low elevation, High elevation could probably go a little less?
Others will know?

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
rkt will give you 5 hp gain. Should be able to find one for 200 or so. Also that head is mono block where you gain more stability and more surface area for cooling especially if you removed the rear cooler in tunnel.

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
You should be able to take 10 to 15 thousandths off. Just check the clearance in the squish band before you start. You need to end up with not much less than .070" when you are finished.

Premium Features