• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Have you done it?

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I haven't yet. Got I all set up though. 16'+4' trailer with a 30k btu heater. There are vents in the front and back as well as a floor drain. Will probably crack the top hatch as well. Pros: warm, dry, WAY cheaper than a hotel, and I don't have to drive to it.
Cons: hopefully I'll find out in this thread.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I have only camped in mine when the weathers nice. I have been wanting to buy one of those Honda 2000 w generators and use a milk house heater or something similar. The gas stoves might make you not wake up and the whole gas cans and open flames deal.

Rider1958

Lifetime Membership
Oct 28, 2008
Woodland Park, Colorado
I'm hoping to find a 5x12 enclosed trailer to haul my sled in and maybe sleep in once in a while. And I could melt the snow off overnight with a propane heater too - warm dry sled in the morning.
Had a Honda EU2000i gen, but it only runs for so long before you have to go out in the cold and refill it, and running electric heaters makes those run way too hard.
And the Honda gens' Eco-Throttle, if you try to use it, has killed a few electric heaters I used.
The catalytic propane heaters seem to give off the least CO and moisture I've found.

But I have winter camped a bit with my snowmobile, and the worst part is having to be inside the camper the entire time you are not riding.
THAT makes the walls close in on ya.......

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
The wife & I camp in our 8.5x20 all the time. Been in it down to -20, it stays pretty warm. 30,000 BTU RV furnace & insulated walls & roof.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
i just use collapsible cots + i have co monitors but with my roof vent cracked i have not had a prob.mine insulated with 30000 btu rv furnince

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
back in the day... yes.... water dripping from the roof, everything damp due to humidity... I ended staying up most of the night running a propane heater to try and keep everyone else warm and dry (knowing if I fell asleep may be fatal, run for a while, turn off)... only had the roof vent for fresh air... not a wise thing to do, but heck we were snocross racers so smarts were not a priority!:crazy:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I bought a 24 ft enclosed just for this purpose. never run the sleds inside or carry fuel in there unless you want to be huffing fumes all night. we just dragged the sleds out the back. I know its a pain but sacrifices must be made to have clean air to breath. I used a mr. buddie dual ceramic heater. it has a co shut off and also had a separate co alarm. also ran a fan to cut down on condensation and keep the heat circulating. both vents always cracked. a window on each side is nice fully insulated with a extra 6 inch tall ceiling. no fuel doors, just another place to let in cold air. only usually hauled two sleds, had industrial carpet and put tarp underneath, rolled up the carpet with the tarp, this and some towels helped keep water from snow melt off the sleds in the back. also had a beaver tail. had it all set up with a entertainment center and a wet bar. used a 2k Honda generator to run the micro and the stereo/dvd/tv. had a love seat and fold up chairs. worked great. just got tired of hauling the thing up the hill all the time.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
you fella's make sure you have carbon monoxide and smoke detectors in those trailers...

This needs to be reiterated!

I would hate to see anyone or any sledder making the headlines with this.

We were REALLY lucky once years ago we went up to Sunridges cabin and hauled in fuel. All we had for heat was kerosene heaters and in the middle of the night someone mistakenly filled one of the heaters with CAM2 instead of kerosene. Fortunately it just went out but could of been A LOT worse.

Last edited:
J

jlong0319

Jan 31, 2013
North Idaho
trailer tent

I raced snocross for a few years. Racing sleds is super expensive so to save money we stayed in our trailer. We have a standard 4 place v neck trailer with no modifications. other then a hole drilled in the floor to run the extension cord and propane line through. we slept on cots about three feet away from our propane radiant heater.(i know thats a little close) We used a ton of blankets and mummy sleeping bags. Let me be the first to tell ya it wasnt easy, you have to get use to waking up with your shoes frozen to the floor. Stay away from the walls though alot of condensation builds and it will start to drip before it freezes. we also had a co2 detector we put on the wall just in case. Keep the heater running all day every day though, it takes a long time just to warm up enough area for two cots.

Premium Features